3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How To build some pretty cool looking arrows. Motor City Machete style  (Read 2787 times)

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: How To build some pretty cool looking arrows. Motor City Machete style
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2013, 11:30:00 PM »
Mike, I'm not saying "I can't", what I'm saying is I am appalled at the thought of building any more arrows in this lifetime which translates to  "I won't"...

I sorely wish I could convey how detestable even the thought of it is to me.

I think I'd rather go to the dentist and let him work on my teeth without the use of any painkillers.

When I 1st got into archery I got all excited and wanted to make everything myself.

I set a goal of taking a deer with a bow and string made by my hand with an arrow made using turkey feathers from a bird I killed, tipped with a point made by me.

Yes, I accomplished that goal but at a cost, I have never tried knapping again and try my best to only touch arrows for the purpose of putting them on my string.

After my smashed thumb healed from my experience of make smaller rocks out of larger ones I gave up and cut and shaped a point out of a thick section of bone from a cow's leg.

All of the Japanese arrow bamboo, Grey Dogwood, and several other kinds of arrow building plants I was growing have long since been removed or plowed under.

I gave away or traded away all of the flint and flint knapping tools I had accumulated  because I over estimated my skill and desires.

God bless,Mudd

PS: I do love making stuff archery and or bowhunting related.. just not anything to do with building arrows.
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2013, 07:21:00 AM »
Now I get it Roy.  That's the exact same way I feel about picking Strawberries.  I can say I did it, but will never again in my life go thru the pain in the back of doing it again.

Well, I've got a sick kid today and my Wife already had plans for going somewhere with my Mom, SO I had to make the call to my boss that I wouldn't be in.  Normally I wouldn't have a problem staying home if I'm needed to, but today just happens to be the opening day of firearms hunting in Michigan and my boss knows how everything I do revolves around hunting.  

His response "When did you start gun hunting?"  I can see where it might look a little fishy calling in sick on Opening Day, but everyone across work knows me and my hunting preference type.  My boss understood and told me I had to work Sunday to get a few jobs finished up, so I can accept that.  Pretty nice having an understanding employer.

So hopefully I can get these shafts all marble dipped for the thread.  The previous pictures were done Wednesday night, so there has been plenty of time for them to dry for the next step.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline kevinbarry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2013, 02:08:00 PM »
I am looking foward to the marble dip.This is a great thread. thanks. Kev
Good enough is not and close enough never is

Offline John Zieske

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2013, 02:28:00 PM »
Looking forward to the rest of your posts! I love making my arrows, and have started making my fletchings from friends turkeys.  What kind of spry paint are you using? They turned out nice.
J Zieske
VFW Life Member
Elk Camp Cribbage Nut

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2013, 02:32:00 PM »
I prefer a slow drying (2-4 hr dry time) paint.  I believe it is Rustoleum gloss protective enamel.  If you use the quicker drying paint, the paint will not have time to flow together and you will have less than desireable results.

Offline John Zieske

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2013, 02:37:00 PM »
Thanks bro! I am new and as you can see that was my 1st post here. I may try that technique soon.
J Zieske
VFW Life Member
Elk Camp Cribbage Nut

Offline britt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2013, 02:41:00 PM »
Mike, you forgot your mask when spraying the paint. Please wear one, I am a Resp. Therapist. I am looking forward for the marble dipping.
"My gratitude speaks when I care and when I share the trad. way"

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2013, 02:48:00 PM »
You are absolutely correct Britt.  I sent my boys in after this picture because of the fumes.  I should have put on a mask.  I will from here on out when spray painting.  Thank you for making that correction, and it should be followed by all.

Alright guys, I just finished up the dipping, but it is just about time to go to the bus stop to pick up my other son from school, so I will have the completed crown for you all here shortly.  (Personally, these white and red ones are OK, but my favorites are the yellow and black ones so far, but to each their own maybe the cresting and fletchings will completely change the final look)

Offline DarkTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2013, 03:07:00 PM »
Thanks for doing this Mike!   Quick question,  I noticed that you did not stain the area where you are applying the crown, for obvious reason.  Do you apply your first coat of clear sealer over the crown area or do you spray the crown on raw wood?

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2013, 03:12:00 PM »
I have done both, but I prefer to dip the entire shaft first.  Personal reasons I guess, but you get a much smoother finish and cannot see the wood grain under the paint if it has already been sealed as opposed to painting over raw wood.  I guess you could consider the dip as a primer coat to seal the wood.

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2013, 03:18:00 PM »
First step after I get the crown painted and allowed to dry is to determine where you are wanting the marble to stop/start at.  I chose a location based on my fletching.  Here is where the public skool edukation maf skilz come in handy (That was just for you Steve O :-)

After determining the location, mark it on one shaft with a pencil line them all up (butted up to a vertical surface works great to line them up), then get a square and pencil and transfer that previous pencil mark to all the shafts so they are uniform...

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2013, 03:31:00 PM »
Now you need to have a container that is deep enough to accept the arrow shaft when it is dipped inside to at least where you plan in dipping to.  Don't make the mistake some guy I know who bought a short dip container.  The Next time I, I mean he, went to the Salvation Army and bought a DEEP plastic flower vase.

You will also need something to drop the paint in the water and also swirl it.  I have found that a cheap basic bamboo skewer works perfect for this.

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2013, 03:35:00 PM »
Once your vase is filled with water, get the oil based paint you are wanting to use.  Yes it MUST be oil based to work.  The paint needs to float on top of the water.  We will get to that part shortly.

Here is what I have found works great.  Testors model car paints...

Offline Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2013, 03:47:00 PM »
I'm enjoying this.  Will have to try this winter.  :campfire:

Offline highlandhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2013, 03:52:00 PM »
Mike,

Thanks for sharing!
"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face."
-Mike Tyson

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2013, 03:52:00 PM »
Taking the blunt end of your bamboo skewer, dip it in the paint and mix the paint up.  After mixed, remove so that there is enough paint on there that a drop will drip off of it.  

Here is where you can tinker around with amounts and colors.  I have found certain combinations that work well with others.  I prefer to use less paint as to more, but you will find what you like.  Combining colors is pretty cool, but you had better practice on something before attempting any of this.

This is 1 drop of paint floated on top of the water.  Don't let it fall off the end or dunk it.  When you get a drop to look like this, you have achieved success...

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2013, 04:25:00 PM »
Now take the pointed end of the skewer and using JUST THE TIP to trace and swirl the paint around not pushing down at all (it'll take a little practice, but it is really simple).  Go back and read that paragraph again.

Anything that goes into the water will have paint stuck on it and ruin the look of the finished product.

When your done swirling the paint, it should look like this...

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2013, 04:29:00 PM »
Now once again, take some painter's blue masking tape and apply it at the pencil line you previously made to determin where to stop the marble swirl at.  It is probably best to do all the shafts this way first, I was just wanting to get one done to show the process.

Here is that step...

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2013, 04:41:00 PM »
Now, here is the kick A$$ part.  I don't have any pictures of this step (My photographer was still in bed with some chicken noodle soup).

I have absolutely no idea how this works, but it amazes me each and every time.

Holding the shaft verticle, dip in the middle of the swirled paint twisting back and forth as you are going down.  Dip so some of the tape is submerged (that way you make sure you went all the way down) then pull straight up still twisting back and forth till it is clear of the water.

I HAVE NO IDEA HOW, BUT LIKE A MAGNET, THE PAINT ADHEARS TO THE SHAFT AND WILL NOT COME OFF, OR EVEN RUN.

There will be some water on the shaft, and you should remove it, but how?  Simple, you simply grasp the point end and act like you are going to whip something and stop short of hitting said something.  The water will magically come off and no paint will go with it.  I swing it down towards the concrete floor and there is not one drop of paint on the floor.  Like I said, I have no clue how it does this, it just does.

Offline JBridegroom22

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2013, 04:46:00 PM »
Can't wait to see these. This sounds awesome.
Josh

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©