3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Coyotes ate my deer - graphic Photos  (Read 1064 times)

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Coyotes ate my deer - graphic Photos
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2013, 06:14:00 AM »
congrats on the doe these darn yotes need a reall good thinning of the herd!!
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2013, 06:54:00 AM »
They just seem to get more and more agressive. I just this week picked up a LED red light. Planning on grabbing the boy I've been mentoring and doing some night hunting after the season.
SWA Spyder

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2013, 07:09:00 AM »
Two years ago my buddy shot a nice buck opening day evening and it fell in a thicket 60 yards from his stand. He couldn't see it but heard it fall. There were several bucks still in the field near his stand so he waited for them to leave before going to find the deer. Less than an hour had passed and a coyote had already found the buck and eaten a portion.

The following evening I shot a buck in the same area. Even though I originally felt I had made a good shot the arrow didn't pass through and the blood trail was marginal at best. I began to second guess my shot and decided rather than take a chance of jumping the deer searching for more blood in the dark I marked the last blood and slipped away. The next morning we found the deer less than fifty yards from the last blood. Or, I should say we found what was left. Coyotes had eaten the entire deer and all that was left were the skin and bones.
Jack Shanks

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2013, 07:34:00 AM »
I saw a recent thread on a website I won't name. Seems a guy shot a beautiful buck and left it for a morning recovery. Coyotes got to this buck and basically destroyed everything except the antlers. There was some mention in the story of "at least 'Joe' was able to recover his buck" and he appeared very happy. I would personally find that very dissatisfying, to just recover a big set of antlers. Many value the bone more than the meat...definitely not me. Losing valued meat like this is a definite downer. I know from losing about 600 pounds of moose meat to a grizzly last year. As far as coyotes go...just another predator in the woods, doing what predators do. I'm a bigger predator, and I have the option to kill them. They haven't taken a deer from me yet, but it will happen. I'll be upset, but that's part of the world we live in.

Offline bulldog18

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2013, 08:08:00 AM »
My son shot a main frame 8 point with 13 points total. We bumped it looking for it and backed out to let it die. Came back the next morning at first light and there was not an ounce of meat left on it. It was very upsetting to loose all that meat.
Howard Hill Red Hawk 68" 46@28
Howard Hill Big 5, 68" 50@28
Bamabows Tribute 68" 60@28
St. Patricks Lake Mushin Styk 45@28
Black Widow PSA 60" 46@28
Black Widow PL 47@28
St. Patrick’s Lake Northern Styk 68” 44@28

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2013, 09:08:00 AM »
I have lost meat on deer from both bears and coyotes when I had marginal shots and left them overnight. Yes, the loss if bad but pushing marginally hit deer is bad also as they can go a long way and may not be recovered at all. I also won't eat a deer that has been fed on but I have and will tag it-I caused the death and repect that animal.
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2013, 09:11:00 AM »
Originally posted by pred80:
congrats on the doe these darn yotes need a reall good thinning of the herd!!
I agree
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline imskippy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2013, 09:32:00 AM »
What a shame. Congrats on the doe. It really is getting to the point where all hunters should seriously considering taking and coyotes seen while hunting. I personally plan on taking the state trapping course and also hunting them this winter.
Zona Custom T/D #1
Zona Custom R/D L/B #1

Offline Mr.Magoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2013, 11:06:00 AM »
Here's one I couldn't find until the next morning a year or two ago.

Yote's gotta eat too.  It's disappointing of course but no hard feelings.  I won't begrudge an animal its natural food just because it interferes with my hobby.

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2013, 01:08:00 PM »
Thats a bummer! My son lost his first longbow deer, first deer period to coyotes this year in CO. They need to be thinned out for sure!
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2013, 02:03:00 PM »
I was told of a case this year. A kid shot a buck and went after it. Jumped it once and then found it again. He dressed it out as best he could, first deer, put his jacket over the deer and went for help. He got back to the deer two hours later, the coyotes pulled his jacket off the deer. Luckily they chased the coyotes off before too much damage was done.  Perhaps, putting his jacket on the deer may have kept the coyotes from charging right in and eating his deer.

Offline southernwoody

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2013, 02:14:00 PM »
Sorry to hear about that! I used to hunt Scott's depot down camp creek road near the YMCA. Killed a few good bucks out of there. Used to trap coyotes too, always plenty of them.
SUA SPONTE
68" viper deluxe long bow 50#@28"
64" hickory self bow 50#@28"
60" pronghorn 3 piece R/D long bow 63#@28"

Offline Russ Clagett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2013, 04:43:00 PM »
I make it a point to try and kill every coyote I see.

Offline Altiman94

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2013, 05:06:00 PM »
I haven't lost a deer to a coyote yet, but I know they are getting more and more prevalent.  I can recall a time early last year in the stand that I had 3 different coyote howling and they sounded no more than 50y from my tree.  Was an eery walk out in the dark- that's for sure.
>>>--------->

Offline hitman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2013, 10:23:00 PM »
Jack that is one beautiful bow. I'm hoping to add one to my arsenal.
Black Widow PSAX RH 58" 47#@28
Samick Sage 62" 40#@28"
PSA Kingfisher RH 45#@28
Treadway longbow RH 60" 46#at 28"
W.Va. Bowhunters Association life member
Pope and Young associate member
Mississippi Traditional Bowhunters life member

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2013, 12:28:00 AM »
Just had the same thing happen to me on the exact same day.
coyotes suck. period. they were cool when we only had a few and they were exciting to see occationaly. now they are so thick they even sound off at sunrise and you see them running the roads all the time.
So tired of yotes.

Offline Jack Whitmire Jr

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2013, 05:28:00 AM »
I know the coyotes are predators and need to eat also . But when they killed my dog a few years ago I declared war on them . I would never purposely run over an animal on the road except a coyote . I have no ethics when it comes to coyotes . Atom bombs, Acme  Hand gernades , gorrilla warfare , trucks and rifles/bows are all tactics I'll use  :)  Yes I'm upset about losing the meat .
Tolerance is a virtue of a man without any  Morals- unknown author

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2013, 07:53:00 AM »
I can't blame the coyotes for getting to a deer before I get to it, but I can blame them for dropping the numbers of deer in my area to a scant few.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2013, 08:09:00 AM »
Coyotes need thinning just as bass do in a pond or even deer in a woods. If you shoot a deer and want to leave it until the next day and the thought of coyotes come into your mind. You have way too many.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Fritz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2013, 03:30:00 PM »
I killed a big doe in KS 2 yrs ago in the morning. Hit was a little high, but I knew I had her. Decided to go eat breakfast was back in 1.5 hrs and the coyotes had eaten everything but one front quarter! This was 180-200 lb doe! I hate yotes and kill everyone I can.
God is good, all the time!!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©