3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ever touch an adult deer?  (Read 1161 times)

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ever touch an adult deer?
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2013, 09:02:00 AM »
:biglaugh:
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2013, 09:38:00 AM »
I just remembered my first mule deer event. We were south of Pikes Peak, heading for some canyon with a bridge and a trolly car, on our Beemers. I saw my first mule deer ever and stopped. To our surprize it did not run away. We had a thermos of coffe and some doughnuts, time for lunch and watch the mule deer. It watched us for a while, and ran towards us. My wife goes "Oh crap, it's crazy." I said, I cannot type what I said. Anyway the crazy mule deer stopped within a few feet, I offered it a doughnut and he took it and ate it. We were still a few miles from that canyon. I don't know whether that was a park tamed deer or are they all that easy. Maybe, I should be taking doughnuts along tonight.  That big boy I did not shoot at last night may get closer if he knows that I have a doughnut for him.

Offline DeerBacon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2013, 10:12:00 AM »
A couple years ago my kid's pet beagle was playing with a doe in my backyard. I was just getting dressed when things turned ugly. The doe started stomping the beagle in the ground. So I ran and kicked the doe like I was punting a football. The doe then came after me, she threw some jabs and I threw some hooks. The doe had enough and ran off. The elderly lady next door come running to help. The funny part was the only camo I had on was some digital camo undies.    :laughing:   I scooped the beagle up and brushed off the hoof prints on her back. She was a little sore and would not go in the backyard for a week.
" I got a new bow for my wife, It was the best trade I ever made! "

Offline dirtguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2013, 11:09:00 AM »
These are some great stories!  I figured there would be more stories about stalking deer, ghillie suits, etc.  It turns out some of the close encounters were brought about by the deer, not us!

Offline Rays Arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2013, 12:11:00 PM »
I smacked a cow moose on the ass it was exhilarating to say the least.  It was great because my father (65) was able to see the whole thing.  For some reason experiances are better when shared with him.
I enjoy the woods taking game is the icing on the cake.

Offline Igor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2013, 12:36:00 PM »
I was still hunting and had a doe and fawn come barreling over a hill and almost run me over! I held my ground and the doe walked away stiff legged - snorting ....the fawn stood not 3 feet away shaking so bad I thought the poor little thing would fall over....after about 30 seconds it followed the doe....funny how those memories come back in living color...

><>>
Glenn
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding In all your ways submit to him and he will direct your paths

Offline beaunaro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2013, 12:45:00 PM »
I'm glad all wheelie guys are not as rude as the one you described, pavan.
Imagine the nerve of a guy tearing down your blind and tossing your chair.
Unbelievable!
Irv Eichorst

Offline David Smith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2013, 12:50:00 PM »
Had a doe come right past me as I was sitting against an oak. as she moved on I reached my hand up and stroked her side as she walked. She then took off like a scalded dog!
Don't rush! Impatience will kill your greatest potential. Walter M. Smith

53# Pronghorn
50# Super Shrew Samurai
46# Black Widow Sax
48# Bear Grizzly (late 70's)

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2013, 03:18:00 PM »
Years ago I was stalking some deep grass and had a doe I didn't see until I kicked her stand up and knock me over backwards. Touched her twice or I touched her once and she touched me once.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2013, 05:00:00 PM »
I think the one that tore me up the worst was a black tail doe getting hung up in the neighbors fence and they couldn't get it untangled. My wife called me at work, and the neighbors had called the sheriff. By the time i got home, the Sheriff had cut the wire and got the deer loose, but her leg was badly broken. She had hobbled over and jumped the fence into my pasture, and was laying there totally exhausted. I asked the Sheriff if he was going to put the poor animal down, and he said that i would have to call the game department or animal control to do it. he couldn't justify discharging his side arm for a deer. Besides that he didn't have the heart for it.

You see.... as we were standing there talking, my mama cow was over there licking it like it was her own calf that was hurt.... It was enough to tear anyone up watching it....

I final took care of the deed myself and utilized the meat. But that was a tough one. needless to say  didn't spend any time petting the dad burn thing. like i taught my kids...You don't play with your food.

Offline stick flipper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2013, 06:13:00 PM »
Not a deer.... But a coyote. I was doing a 1 man push of a thicket for my aunt and uncle during gun week here in ohio several years ago. I was on a trail with thicket on my left and a drop off to a step creek bank on my right. Well I was "tossing" hedge apples into the thicket because I was lazy  ;)  and this yote blew outta the thicket and ran straight into my legs! Lol he knocked me down and in his panic he went down the steep bank into the creek. He dang near ran on top of that water! I was yelling coyote trying to prepare my hunting partners to shoot. No shooting happened and I was kind of disappointed. When I met up with my aunt and uncle I was still on my adrenaline dump lol.... They said all they saw was a ball of fur go screaming by at Mach 2 hahaha. I guess the coyote was a lil more amped than I was!

Offline JMG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2013, 06:33:00 PM »
Originally posted by Kirkll:
I roped a mule deer once upon a time... long story, but true. The dad burn thing drug me through the sage brush for almost 50 yards before i could stop it's forward motion, and mine as well. I was afraid to let go of the rope and have the deer run off and end up hanging itself.... my hunting partner at the time was laughing so hard he wet his pants.

By the time we took the deer down and got the rope off off that crazed deer, we both looked like we'd been run through a shredder. Bull dogging a deer isn't as easy as you think. This small buck was only about 150 pounds, and whipped both of us good and proper.

At least i had it by the head. My partner took a real beating taking the rear end. Talk about a rodeo!.... i wouldn't recommend it....  Kirk
I would have paid good money to see all this transpire!!  :laughing:    :laughing:    :laughing:

Online Jason Kendall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2013, 06:50:00 PM »
Dang Kirk, glad you ended up ok but that would have been funny to see!

A friend and I were hunting southern IA during the rut many years ago, we spotted a nice buck on the hill a couple hundred yards away right at dark, I grunted a few times and it disappeared into the darkness of the hillside, within 10 seconds we could see it again 20yds in front of us coming full speed! We were on the edge of a dry creek bed and by the time he hit the brakes he was so close the gravel in the creek bottom was hitting us in the face. Way to close for comfort. The same friend and I unlocked a couple of stuck bucks the year before that.

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2013, 07:59:00 PM »
Though I think it's neat to do. I think your asking for an injury trying to touch an alive animal of that size.
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline Irish Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2013, 08:02:00 PM »
I've really enjoyed reading this thread! Keep'em coming folks!

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2013, 08:05:00 PM »
Originally posted by Traxx:
Touched her with the end of my bow.

Smart move.I touched one with my hand years ago.She kicked the crap outa me.All i could do was ball up n take it.I was sittin down.Couldnt pick my arm up above my shoulder,fer a week.
:biglaugh:    :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:

Offline saltwatertom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2013, 12:52:00 PM »
OK, yea. I roped a moose once, by the antlers…….DO NOT try this at home, bad Idea   :scared:    :scared:

When I lived in Colorado I caught a deer as it was running out of a barn and bulldogged it to the ground. I asked the gal that was with me if she wanted FRESH venison. When she could talk again (mouth hanging open   :eek: ) she said yes and I dispatched it with a knife.    
Way fun !!!!
"There is always luck about, for those willing to look for it"

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2013, 12:55:00 PM »
in a pen
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline dirtguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2013, 02:20:00 PM »
Burnsie -  I touched an adult doe once in a zoo, in fact the Pittsburgh zoo used to have a pen that you could go into with tame white tails.  It was still pretty cool especially when they'd lick you for the salt.

Based on what I'm hearing, Im not going to touch a wild deer, just enjoy being that close!

Offline jwhitetail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2013, 11:07:00 PM »
This last spring turkey season I had a little yearling doe bed down a few yards from where I sat in the brush.  She got up and walked a few yards from me and I considered tapping her on the but with my bow (when she walked behind a big pine tree) but I was real leery about getting a face full up hooves.  I think when you surprise them they can react by exploding sideways with their rear legs!  Sure is fun to get that close to a deer though.
3 JD Berry Duo-Flex long bows
A pile of JD Berry ASL bows
2 JD Berry "OE" Long Bows

A Coyote ran accross the road, on the move without a home...
T. Petty

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©