3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Trad Archery to High Tech ?  (Read 836 times)

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Trad Archery to High Tech ?
« on: November 14, 2013, 06:26:00 PM »
I am not being critical and it doesn't mater how or what you shoot .

That being said do you think that Traditional Archery is becoming to High Tech ?

What I mean is , some try to eek out a little more speed , some of the newer bow designs look like they came out of star wars .

I will add that I don't shoot a self bow and I do shoot a glass boo lamination so I am kinda in the middle with this . I prefer B-55 string over B-50 but I don't like the way my bows feel with the HIGH SPEED , LOW DRAG materials that are out there .

So I am just asking if you think it is getting carried away , just fine or look forward the next latest and greatest thing ?
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Trad Archery to High Tech ?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 06:39:00 PM »
Well, your motto at the bottom of your posts pretty much says it all for me.  

I think we'll all find our niche.  I think that since we're mainly interested in trad archery, you don't have to worry about us becoming too high tech....although if there were an arrow insert that would make it show up on my GPS when I shoot it into high grass, I would be tempted.

Seriously, as long as we continue to respect various classes of shooters, from primitive to open, I think we'll be fine.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline PaulRoberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 06:59:00 PM »
Check this out:

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 07:02:00 PM »
I define traditional archery as a type of bow with a riser and 2 limbs (materials can be carbon, foam, wood, fiberglass, whatever) drawn by hand using a glove, tab, nonmechanical release like a thumb ring or leather strap, or bare fingers shooting an arrow shaft with fixed points no mechanicals. What you choose to use personally for arrow materials or style broadhead (as long as it's a fixed blade) doesn't make a difference to me. For me personally I prefer glass laminated d/r longbow (My current bow has a carbon strip in the limb as well) and carbon arrows for the most part and cut on contact broadheads. I prefer to shoot carbon because in the long run they last longer than aluminum or wood usually so I can come out a little bit cheaper, than buying really good matched quality shafts, stain, finish, etc. I'm not going to trash anyone who may like the performance gain of these bows built with all carbon and foam limbs. I don't shoot them simply because I like the look of wood underneath clear fiberglass. There is nothing wrong in my opinion to advance bow designs and materials as long as there are still bows out there that appeal to people who like self bows or maybe a Hill style bow. I'll end with this though if given a choice between the bows of their actual time and modern traditional bows what do you think ancient peoples would use?
James Kerr

Offline tomsm44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 07:11:00 PM »
I think trad archery is more an attitude than the equipment used.  Granted, most would agree, me included, that anything other than a stick/string/arrow shot with fingers isn't trad.  If it fits into that definition though, I don't think the materials matter much.  It becomes a matter of preference.  As far as appearance, some of the old composite bows used throughout history could have some pretty radical shapes.  I'm in the same boat as you.  I shoot a laminated recurve but don't want to go the foam core or carbon route.  Fiberglass and wood or boo cores for me.  I want to get a longbow but plan to get a laminated R/D when I do, so still not extremely primitive.  I think for anybody to judge others that don't shoot a self bow as not trad enough and then carry their self bow to the woods in a modern pickup then post pictures of their kill to a website with their iPhone/droid/laptop or whatever is kinda silly.  Not trying to upset any of the self bow guys or and I have a lot of respect for you guys, especially those of you that build your own, and I'd love to give it a try one day.  Just giving my thoughts on the matter.

Matt Toms
Matt Toms

Flatwoods Custom R/D:  64", 47@28
'66 Kodiak: 60", 55@28
Redwing Hunter:  58", 53@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 47@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 42@28
Hoots Recurve:  56", 42@28

Offline tomsm44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 07:19:00 PM »
I apparently posted while James was posting as well and want to clarify when I said I don't want to go the carbon route.  I was referring to carbon in the bows but I do shoot carbon arrows for the same reasons that he listed.

Also, I would like to say that I work with a guy from Kentucky and he has some Amish friends who ride a horse, buggy, or walk to where they are hunting with a homemade Selfbow then don't even take any pictures of the deer they kill. If one of them were to tell me I'm not trad enough, I'd simply hang my head in shame.
Matt Toms

Flatwoods Custom R/D:  64", 47@28
'66 Kodiak: 60", 55@28
Redwing Hunter:  58", 53@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 47@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 42@28
Hoots Recurve:  56", 42@28

Offline SKITCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 07:20:00 PM »
Would that be the traditional Star Trek or the more modern, updated, hi tech Star Trek???

:D
"A nation with little regard for it's past will do nothing in the future to be remembered" 
   Lincoln

Offline Stephengiles

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2013, 08:03:00 PM »
I agree it's all attitude. I used to muzzle load. I think a nice muzzleloader like a nice bow is a work of art. My last muzzleloader I was able to exchange it for free for a new one. Seemed like a good idea at the time. I got it in the mail,took one look at that black plastic contraption with factory scope mount, cleaned it up and put it back in the box. Made the decision of going bow only pretty easy. My bear Tamerlane looked pretty crazy when I first seen it too.

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2013, 08:41:00 PM »
It is interesting how Trad shooters seem to be more flexible over the various ways of getting it done . The mechanical shooters seem to be more arrogant if you will , most of them seem to think there setup is the only way to go . Kinda sad really . The Trad Gang members for the most part are more friendly and respect each other . And it is true that a Native American 200 yrs ago would just give all his possessions in trade for a modern Longbow or Recurve with aluminum or carbon arrows .   :archer2:
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2013, 06:41:00 AM »
Nope, not getting carried away as long as one has the choice of how far he/she wants to take it, from selfbow made only with hand tools to the latest innovations.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2013, 07:01:00 AM »
Not too high tech at all really.  Stick, string, fixed heads, manual release, (and for me personally no sights) that's general enough parameters for me.  I own both a bamboo backed selfbow and wood arrows AND things like a triple carbon Centaur and a triple carbon glass riser Habu..SO..I like to think those bows are trad.  

Personally, I think its nice to muse on this topic some, BUT with the constant fight against the tide of contraptions being shot and deer assassination out there, and things like electronic OZONE generators to kill scent while on stand, I think its more productive and perhaps easier to to discuss and disagree/agree upon what is NOT trad vs. what IS.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2013, 07:03:00 AM »
Good topic Graps. Here's food for thought:

The most traditional aspect of mankind is to improve, advance, evolve and change every aspect of all things we humans do. It's been going on since our brains could think and reason...and that's a long time before the first bow ever got strung. Advancements in archery tackle (and bowhunting gear) are a logical extension of man's traditional intrinsic desire to find a better way to do things.

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2013, 07:31:00 AM »
Kevin Dill has it right.

Not too many years ago, mass produced laminated bows were considered radical by some, and were the reason Fred Bear and Nels Grumley parted company.

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2013, 07:49:00 AM »
Like anything else you can make it be what you desire. For me the ultimate challenge has been to hunt with as primitive gear I can accurately use. That's not everyone's choice though. As traditional archery has gained more of a following there is room for companies to market more items to make more money to attract more customers. How well do you think traditional archery would grow if everyone was forced to use a selfbow with stone tipped reed shafts ? There is plenty room for everyone to enjoy the sport in their own definition.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline Dave W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2013, 12:13:00 PM »
I would not worry about or apologize for what a bow or arrow is composed of.  Use what you like and what works for you.

You know traditional and/or primitive archery when you see it.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2013, 01:13:00 PM »
Originally posted by Kevin Dill:
Good topic Graps. Here's food for thought:

The most traditional aspect of mankind is to improve, advance, evolve and change every aspect of all things we humans do. It's been going on since our brains could think and reason...and that's a long time before the first bow ever got strung. Advancements in archery tackle (and bowhunting gear) are a logical extension of man's traditional intrinsic desire to find a better way to do things.
Kevin Dill for president!   :clapper:  You got my vote on this one... Nicely worded.

Offline Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2013, 06:14:00 PM »
Nope. Trad shooting is about a skill set and way of thinking. Newer materials don't fundamentally change that, they just offer us more options in the equipment we use.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Offline RecurveRookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2013, 01:07:00 AM »
I don't think it's getting too high tech. Every culture has used the best materials and technology to make the best bows.

The English used Yew, the Koreans made a horn composite bow, and so on.

Some guys are happy with a selfbow and obsidian points, and I love my "modern" fiberglass and wood reflex longbow.  

I think we all respect the skill, discipline and commitment required of a traditional archer, IMHO.
Maddog Mountaineer 57# and Prairie Predator 52# Wow!, Samick Sage 35 - 60#,  I'm learning.

Online achigan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2013, 07:51:00 AM »
Live and let die.
  A stick and a string is "Higher Tech" than a spear and atlatl, is more tha a stone tipped spear, is more than a fire hardened tip.....
  To each his own.
  American Indians took advantage of every innovation they could get their hands on, that's part of the reason they defeated old Yellow Hair at Little Big Horn.
  No wheels for me, no sights, but carbon shafts with Eskimoes.
...because bow hunting always involves the same essentials. One hunter. One arrow. One animal. -Don Thomas

Online achigan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2013, 07:52:00 AM »
...because bow hunting always involves the same essentials. One hunter. One arrow. One animal. -Don Thomas

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©