3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Trad Archery to High Tech ?  (Read 835 times)

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Trad Archery to High Tech ?
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2013, 10:00:00 AM »
No.

Online Phil Magistro

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2013, 10:16:00 AM »
I agree with Kevin.  Looking back through modern archery - from the Thompson brothers to Pope and Young to Fred bear, archers have always been on a quest to improve.  If "traditional" archery is defined as those types of bows and arrows being used before the compound was introduced then we haven't scratched the surface on "new". Go check some ads or articles from the 50's and 60's and those that think that we're pushing too far today will surely be offended by what was going on a half a century ago.
"I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best."    - Oscar Wilde

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2013, 10:20:00 AM »
No.  Traditional archery and hunting is what you want it to be. Do your thing and don't worry about what others do. Keep in mind traditional archers invented, prompted and many changed over to compounds. As was stated above, we traditionally evolve everything.  Some just find a greater enjoyment of some older ways of doing things. That is great but not the only way or only correct way to do things.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2013, 04:51:00 PM »
If the evolution of bowhunting is a flowing river, well...I'm just a stick that's hung in an eddy and trying to make it last as long as I am able. I'm still a part of the river, though.

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2013, 06:52:00 PM »
Seems like everyone else is caught up in shooting game from further away every year...witness the developments in long range rifles,handguns, muzzle loaders and shotguns, as well as compound bows...I believe the emphasis among traditional bowhunters, even those of us with more technically advanced equipment, is still getting as close as possible to game...and maintaining hunting accuracy still requires us to shoot regularly

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Online achigan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2013, 07:31:00 PM »
^^^^^^X2
Well put Dave. The woodsmanship is as much a part of it as the marksmanship.
...because bow hunting always involves the same essentials. One hunter. One arrow. One animal. -Don Thomas

Offline John Zieske

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2013, 01:03:00 PM »
All I know for sure is: Shooting the stick and string is so darn much fun! We have no limitations in the fun we can generate using our imaginations to create unique shots that you just cannot do with "other" bows! I shoot for fun, not to win something, although winning is also fun but not necessary for a great time with your buds.
J Zieske
VFW Life Member
Elk Camp Cribbage Nut

Offline TaterHill Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2013, 02:12:00 PM »
I guess it depends on your definition of trad.  Some would say what is currently referred to as "primitive" is actually trad.  I can see the argument both ways.  

On one hand, "traditional" is a self bow with wooden arrows.  On the other "traditional" is just a recurve or longbow (laminated, with carbon, with glass, or whatever modern improvement you want to add) with an arrow (wood, aluminum, or carbon).

I find it interesting that some are very accepting of some modern upgrades and so very condemning of others.  I once asked about sights on a trad bow and got a lot of "go ahead, trad is your own definition....but I would never do it."  

I shot a compound for almost 20 years before I picked up a recurve.  I switched to have more fun shooting.  I have my own definition of what is trad.  It doesn't necessarily have to agree with everyone's definition.
Jeff

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you."  Benjamin Franklin

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2013, 03:13:00 PM »
Originally posted by McDave:
Well, your motto at the bottom of your posts pretty much says it all for me.  

I think we'll all find our niche.  I think that since we're mainly interested in trad archery, you don't have to worry about us becoming too high tech....although if there were an arrow insert that would make it show up on my GPS when I shoot it into high grass, I would be tempted.

Seriously, as long as we continue to respect various classes of shooters, from primitive to open, I think we'll be fine.
X2.
Well stated as always McDave.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline JohnV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2013, 04:44:00 PM »
People idolize pioneers such as Fred Bear. Fred Bear was always looking for a way to improve performance of bows. Example, adding fiberglass backing. I have little doubt that most of our traditional pioneers would embrace low-stretch strings and carbon backing. That said, the "advances" in bow performance have been pretty dang modest at best. What one man call traditional a second will label it as "high-tech" modification.
Proud Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2013, 06:38:00 PM »
Thanks for the response .

I also feel that it is up to the individual but I can't help to think that a lot of the new stuff is redundant and designed to catch our eye to buy it but that is what sails is all about .

You take a  2 blade broad head and there are several that work the same . A 50# bow at 20yds. will for the most part give you a pass threw shot on a deer . So whats the thing with Teflon coated broad heads ? Will you pass threw faster ? No offense intended if you like them I just cant see paying the extra for archery supplies that give you no advantage .

Like string materials I have shot 60# 640gr.arrow with B-50 , B-55, and D-97 . At 20 yards the point of impact was no difference and the chronograph was 178 fps. with the B-50 and 181fps. with the D-97 . Also the bow was louder and high vibration . In my feeling it is not worth the extra price let alone the comfort difference .
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2013, 06:48:00 PM »
I don't think it makes much sense to get too carried away in setting absolutes as to what is too technical. Others will disagree as they feel that only the most simple is truly traditional. Yet others like to tinker greatly. Me, I think if you shoot a recurve, longbow or self bow without sights or a mechanical release, you are trad enough.  I get no pickier than what is needed to qualify for the longbow class at 3D shoots. Nobody needs to seek approval for his own decision as to what is trad.
Sam

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©