3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: My Echo  (Read 363 times)

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
My Echo
« on: November 14, 2013, 07:22:00 PM »
Went out this afternoon with the intent of hunting from the ground.  Checked smoke from woodstoves, flags, weather forecasts, wind was from the SW.  Picked my spot on the east side of a trail, moved the leaves away from my feet, got comfortable and felt wind on the back of my neck-from the east.  Sat for 20 minutes and the wind spent about equal amounts of time from the SW and E-so I moved about a hundred yards to a ladder stand.

I've had this stand in the same tree for 3 years.  2 years ago, I heard a "battle royale" between 2 bucks, found the fight scene about 60 yards from me (never saw them, but one of them snort wheezed when the fight was over).  Last year I passed on a nice 2 1/2 year old 8 pointer at 10 feet because I had already killed a bigger one.  Up higher, the wind was more steady out of the W to SW.

About 3:10 I heard footsteps coming through the woods and saw a doe headed to me.  Something spooked her and she ran back about 20 yards.  Eventually, she came out to the trail, but, out of range.  I figured that was that, but she came my way, headed for the trail the 8 pointer last year had used, quartering to me all the way.  Finally she turned broadside.  I had started drawing several times but the angle or the brush prevented a shot.  I heard what I was sure was a grunt headed my way, but, she was there in range-10 yards, so I shot.  The "bird in the hand" thing.

Double lung pass through, arrow sticking up in the dirt.  Not a great bloodtrail (high enough to prevent flow from the exit wound), but enough, besides, I knew the result.  Dad's Bow is bloody!!!

66" Echo, "Dad's Bow" (made from wood my father cut in the late 1940's), 56@28, ramin shafts, tipped with 160 gr Snuffers, 570 gr total arrow weight.  Arrow is fine. I'll clean it up, resharpen the Snuffer, and put it back in the number 1 spot.

Thanks to Chuck at Two Tracks.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline Longbow917

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: My Echo
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 08:08:00 PM »
Great story Chuck.  Would love to see a photo with the bow, you, and the doe!  Did you ever see the one grunting behind her?  Also, what was the wood used in the bow?

Offline NIGEL01

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 08:12:00 PM »
nice

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 08:15:00 PM »
Here's the story, with photos, of the bow.

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=31;t=001235;p=1#000000

I didn't take any photos of the doe.  Maybe tomorrow I'll get some.  I saw the hind end of another deer moving toward where I last saw her, but not the head.  Guess he left when she just laid there!!
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline far rider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 08:43:00 PM »
Score. I subscribe to the "Bird in Hand" view myself.
Noli rogare pro onia pauciora, rogate pro scapulas latiores.

I go afield with bent wood, stick and string in search of serenity  through my primal quest.

Venatôr

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 08:48:00 PM »
Pretty cool.........well done!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 11:42:00 PM »
I'd also love to see pictures of your Two Tracks "Echo".

I also have an "Echo' that I am proud to own.

There's something so simple and eloquent about it.

Thanks for sharing.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©