3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: My 2013 Deer Season In the Lowcountry of SC - Update - 1/4/2014  (Read 769 times)

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: My 2013 Deer Season In the Lowcountry of SC - Update - 1/4/2014
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2013, 04:03:00 PM »
I took a look at Google Earth last night and viewed the piece of property I'm hunting.  It turns out my treestand is NOT on my friend's property.  So, when I go back up tomorrow or Tuesday, I'll be moving back onto his property and to some location about midway between the backends of the two fields!

Buck had some trees removed on his property several years ago, including a 20 yard swath that follows the boundary line of the back end of his property.  I didn't realize until I looked at his property on Google Earth that I'd actually crossed the 20 yard swath that marks the boundary of his land.  I'll probably go down the old logging road I used to hunt and scout out a new location to which I'll relocate my ladder stand.

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

-----------------------------------
Groves Flame Recurve 62", 45#@28"

Praise the Lord Jesus Christ, He is Worthy

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2013, 07:51:00 PM »
I went back up to the farm today and relocated my ladder stand.   I put it up in an area I hunted last year.  I put it 10 yards deeper into the woods than I did last year.  There's a rub line about 20 yards from my stand that has been used each of the past 3 seasons.

The only problem I had was when I started getting dressed, my fanny pack wasn't in the back of the truck.  I'd left it on my workbench at home!    :knothead:   Therefore, I didn't have my arm guard, my shooting glove or my gloves.

So, I decided to hunt and shoot with bare fingers, if an opportunity to shoot was presented.  I didn't see any deer, but I did have a half dozen big, fat squirrels around all afternoon/evening.

After I left the field and turned on the dirt country road to head home, I saw a big bodied deer crossing the road in front of me about 500 yards from the entrance to the field.  By the time I saw the deer, its head was behind weeds on the side of the road.  I've no doubt though that it was a buck.  A large doe down here goes about 120 lbs.  This deer was in the 190-200 lb range.

The balance of this week is going to be too hot for me to hunt.  It will cool down again the following week and I can get out to hunt.   :)

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2013, 07:58:00 PM »
I'm beginning to think maybe I'm getting old timer's disease.  It seems I forgot something everytime I go to the woods. I think it's time for me to develop a check-off list!

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2013, 08:17:00 PM »
Bill. Don't feel too bad. I went one time this year and forgot to take my bow. It's hard to hunt without your bow.
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2013, 10:00:00 AM »
I've never left my bow at home, but I did go one time a year or so back and forgot to attach my quiver to my bow.  It's hard, make that ill advised, to shoot a bow without arrows!

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2013, 07:37:00 PM »
I went back up to the farm this afternoon.  The high for today was 47.  I saw a ton of squirrels and a couple of red headed woodpeckers.

At about 5:20 I saw a nice doe.  However, shed didn't come any closer than about 60 yards.  Therefore, I didn't get a shot opportunity.  I'm going back up Saturday to hunt.  

I'm going to going to leave the house a couple of hours earlier, do some scouting to see if I can identify the trail on which I saw the doe walking.  If I find the trail, I'm going to move my treestand closer to it.

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline bofish-IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2013, 09:08:00 PM »
Sounds like you are having fun Bill that is what matters.

The late Jerry Pierce drove all the way to Missouri from Illinois before he realized he had forgotten his bow. It didn't stop him from driving back and getting it then turned around and drove back to Missouri. He really never told that story a lot.
PBS  Member

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2013, 10:35:00 PM »
Bill its only a matter of time before you get zeroed in on those deer. It sounds like the squirrel hunting would be fabulous there,
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2013, 10:49:00 PM »
Originally posted by Cyclic-Rivers:
Bill its only a matter of time before you get zeroed in on those deer. It sounds like the squirrel hunting would be fabulous there,
Charlie,

Yes, squirrel season will be great.  It runs January through March.

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2013, 11:27:00 PM »
Good luck Bill....I have not got shot at deer this year either...been tough year on brand new lease and lots of "locals" sight seeing in woods and property that I am having hard time to keep out as owner not very helpful...will be going to find new property after first of year.

keep em sharp...
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2014, 10:25:00 AM »
Well, my 2013 deer season is over.  I did attempt to relocate my ladderstand a couple of times, however, I was unable to get the cable lock that secures the top of the stand to the tree to unlock.  I guess I'll have to use a universal key, bolt cutters, to remove the cable lock.

I did sit a couple more times, saw lots of squirrels. several more woodpeckers, an owl and four turkey, but no more deer.  I did enjoy my time in the woods though and will be looking for a club to join this Spring.

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©