3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Texas javelina in January!  (Read 637 times)

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Texas javelina in January!
« on: November 15, 2013, 08:58:00 AM »
I am going to Texas in January to hunt javelina with Kent Ostrem of Mahaska bows. Anybody been anybody goin? This will be my first time hunting out of Tennessee and my first time hunting javies. What advice or tips for a first time javelina hunter?
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Texas javelina in January!
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 09:16:00 AM »
Never hunted them,but see a lot of them when I got to work down toward Eagle Pass. Where are you going to be hunting? Good luck,hope you get something.

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 09:27:00 AM »
I am going to be hunting near Sierra Blanca far west Texas on the border. Thanks Alexander!
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 09:59:00 AM »
Hunted around Ft. Stockton a few years ago; javies are made for trad bowhunting, you are going to have a great time. I would like to hunt that area around Sierra Blanca sometime myself.

If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2013, 10:12:00 AM »
Not too many things in the woods that are friendly. Most things scratch, stick, poke, scrape and bite. Even though you are going in January, be careful of Ol' Joe Noshoulders. He and his buddies are still around.

Otherwise, you'll have a good time!
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2013, 10:45:00 AM »
Javies are God's gift to a stalking bowhunter. If you are in an area where thare are good numbers, you will have a blast!

Bisch

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2013, 10:48:00 AM »
never hunted them where you are going to. but have hunted them a few times closer to el paso.
Javies are a great hunt. In the terrain we were in and spot and stalk hunting using binos to locate and shoe leather to intercept i recommend comfortable shoes or boots with good abrasion resistance (all desert rock where i was).
  Also the temp changes were huge. mornings were 30 degrees and by afternoon it was 70 degrees so bring the right clothing. make sure to bring some windproof clothing if you are hunting desert country. if you dont have wind proof stuff a light weight rain parka under your other layer helps. sometimes the winds can be brutal where i was at.
 GOOD BINOCULARS are essential if you are glassing for them. those little buggers pop up out of places that a field mouse could not hide in.
  Take your time and wait for good close shots. most often they will let you get in on them if you play your cards right.
 you will need a backpack and make sure you have lots of water with you as well as a few energy bars etc.
Carry an extra bow string in your pack. if you are in rocky desert hills you can very easiy cut your string if oyu slip so have an extra in your pack.
a gps is a great tool if you have to grid search for any downed animals.
those foam knee pads that you get from your hardware store come in real handy in rocky terrain when you are making your final apporaches.
Have lots of fun and take lots of pictures!

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2013, 10:50:00 AM »
Joe noshoulders   :biglaugh:  Yes I will definitely keep an eye out for him. Although if there are a good number of javies in the area then there should be too many snakes.  I'm really excited about this hunt!
>>>----------------->

Online stevem

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2013, 05:06:00 PM »
First, Javelina do not like cold weather as they don't have fur.  They seem to find a cave or such at night in the winter, then at first light (when the sun hits the hills) they come out on the east or south side of hills or mountains and feed in the sun until mid-morning.  They don't move much.  I recommend you find a good glassing area and be there at sun rise.  If they are a long ways away, go after them, as they probably won't be going anywhere.  I have taken several after blowing a shot- they will scatter like quail.  Sit tight, and most likely one or more will come drifting back in a few minutes to try to find the main group. I have not seen snakes in January (Arizona or NM)and would not expect you to find them then.  As mentioned above, they don't see well and if you keep the wind right you should be able to stalk in close.
"What was big was not the fish, but the chance.  What was full was not the creel, but the memory" - Aldo Leopold   "Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement"- Will Rogers

Offline Bowmag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2013, 05:17:00 PM »
The love corn. And can find it in a hurry after you put it out.
I learned many years ago not to look too far if you are in the brush. Look down. You can walk into a herd of them and not even know it. If their hair stands up it will mess with your aiming. They look about 3 feet tall when they do that and it will make you shoot really high. At least it does me. Lots of fun to hunt. Have a good time.
Colburn

Offline Jason Kendall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2013, 06:01:00 PM »
I hunted them south of Ft Stockton many years ago, they are a blast to hunt. Find some anatomy pictures so you know where to shoot them and have fun. We also spread corn around and had the best luck with it. Dang, now I want to go back again!

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2013, 06:03:00 PM »
I hunted with Kent a couple of years ago and although I did not shoot one I had a good time.  The country is nothing like I've hunted before.
You will have fun.
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline ShadeMt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2013, 08:25:00 PM »
I have hunted them once and with that one experience I would say they are the perfect animal for stickbow hunting.  When they are traveling in a sounder it seemed like one was always looking while the others are scurrying around eating.  When you get in bow range their eyesight is better than you read about. Absolute blast to hunt.  Enjoy.

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2013, 09:00:00 PM »
Great stuff! Thanks for the info guys, this all very helpful.    :campfire:  I am meeting up with two fellow tradgangers as well who have both hunted with Kent before so that should be a blast.
>>>----------------->

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2013, 09:12:00 PM »
Shoot them of the stripe.
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2013, 10:12:00 PM »
They are quick, darting, little buggers that don't stand still very long. Take the shot quickly when it's there.

They will smell you from a long ways off but if you are still they don't seem to notice at bow range. Getting a shot is not all that hard once you close the distance. As mentioned before, they will regroup quickly if scattered.

They put off a skunky smell, especially when PO'ed. They will pop their teeth when agitated too. Kinda makes you wonder who is hunting who.  :)

I hunted them in Texas and had a blast! The two I shot went down quickly with shoulder hits and Zwickey broadheads. All the javelina shot on our hunt did not go far after the hit.

You will have a lot of fun. Good luck.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2013, 12:35:00 AM »
Thanks red!
>>>----------------->

Offline Cy14561

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2013, 02:12:00 AM »
Sounds like fun I have them on my lease here in Texas and have shot a few they are a blast to hunt, you can leave your binocs at home and just follow the smell, a pack of javalinas has a smell you won't soon forget!

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2013, 09:04:00 AM »
:biglaugh:
>>>----------------->

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2013, 01:22:00 PM »
ttt
>>>----------------->

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©