3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Is there such a thing as being tillered 3-Under?  (Read 398 times)

Offline jhansen

• Trad Bowhunter
Is there such a thing as being tillered 3-Under?
« on: September 05, 2007, 07:06:00 PM »
Until recently, I would have said "No".  I've shot many bows 3-under and split-finger and the only difference was that I had to move the nocking point up a little when using 3-under.  Now I have a longbow that just seems to prefer a 3-under draw.  I have changed the nocking point between 1/8" high to 3/4" high when shooting split-fingered and the arrow always porpoises to one degree or another.  Set the NP at 3/8", shoot 3-under, and the arrows zip straight into the target.  So can anyone tell me if there really is such a thing as being tillered for 3-under?

Thanks,
John
Life is an adventure.  Don't miss it.

Offline Al Dean

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Is there such a thing as being tillered 3-Under?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 07:25:00 PM »
Makes sense to me.  My Great Plains recurve is tillered 3 under.  Nock point is 3/8.  To shoot split finger I would need 1/8 or less on nock point and it won't shoot good.  I would say tillered normal or split you can shoot either way.  Tillered 3 under you are stuck with 3 under.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2007, 08:44:00 PM »
There are very few bowyers that know how to make a true three under tiller that works the way it is supposed too.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline jhansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2007, 11:11:00 PM »
Okay, so I've got a bow that I can't shoot split-finger?  That's the way it seems so far.

John

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2007, 11:23:00 PM »
Is it tillered for three-under or a fluke?
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2007, 11:33:00 PM »
David, would you explain ??

I've always heard that a -0- tiller bow was correct for 3 under but have had bows with as much as 1/4" that I was able to get to shoot.
But, often I think I'm missing something on the tiller.. For instance on the DAS, I currently have it set at 0, it draws smoothly and shoots a clean arrow.. I have experminted with it from 1/8 negative to 3/16" positive.. Settled back in at 0.
                 Thanks,
                          Pat

Offline HAWGDOG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2007, 12:21:00 AM »
I don't really understand three finger or split finger tiller. Don't get me wrong I understand the concept, but I just do not understand the reasoning behind it. I have not owned alot of different bows, but I have shot and messed around w/ many. So far I have been able to tune every bow, w/ correct arrow weight and spine to shoot as accurate as I see fit.

Offline aromakr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2007, 10:50:00 AM »
A bow tillered for 3-under will have more positive tiller, meaning the upper limb at brace height will be slightly weaker (bending more).

Think about what is happening. You place all three fingers below the nock and you cause the lower limb to bend more, than with 2-under and 1-above. this needs to be compensated for with tiller or your nock point will be much higher than normal. You are trying to get both limbs to be bent the same at full draw, so the energy is equally applied to the arrow from the limbs.

Of course raising the nock point does the same thing, but you will never get the arrow flight with an abnormally high nock point that you get with a normal one.
Bob
Man must "believe" in something!  I "believe" I will go hunting-----

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2007, 05:31:00 PM »
I was told by two dealers and one bowyer that the difference is slight and can be compensated for with a slightly higher nock point.  I respect their opinions, but I have to say my experience with my Hunter 56 tillered for 3 Under makes me believe there is a difference.

My Hunter 56 likes a nock point of +3/8.  Shoots much more smooth quiet than I was led to believe this model does.  I shoot this bow off the shelf with feathers, BTW.

My other two CM's (a Hunter I and Hunter II) are tillered Split Finger but I shoot them 3 Under off T-300 rests, primarily with vanes.  The Hunter I likes a nock point of +3/8, the Hunter II +4/8.

Both shoot well with a 3 Under Draw but I believe are a touch more noisy for it and not as smooth as they would be if shot Split Finger, IMO.

The H2 is known for it's smoothness but my H2, smooth as it is, truly isn't as smooth as my H56 tillered for my 3 Under draw...
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Offline Van/TX

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2007, 11:05:00 PM »
What Bob said....Van
Retired USAF (1966 - 1989)
Retired DoD Civilian (1989 - 2009)
And drawing Social Security!
I love this country ;-)

Offline jhansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2007, 05:56:00 PM »
Thanks for all the input, everyone.    ;)  

John

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©