3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting Mentor  (Read 352 times)

Offline TubbsTru

• Trad Bowhunter
Hunting Mentor
« on: November 15, 2013, 08:54:00 PM »
My dad has influenced me more than anyone in my life. In a thousand ways, both big and small, he's shaped me to be the man I am today.

Not least, my dad has been my biggest influence in terms of the outdoors. As they say, "he taught me everything I know." I'll never forget walking through one section of our forty one time and thinking, "This would be a great place for a treestand!" I then looked about 10 yards ahead of me only to see dad's stand hanging there!

So, the question is: who has been your biggest influence and mentor in terms of the outdoors and teaching you to hunt?

Offline shirikahn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunting Mentor
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 09:02:00 PM »
just as you, my father was my mentor, and idol.  I know, idol is a strong word, especially when you consider that my father used to watch over and over vhs tapes of Fred Bear's hunts.  But my dad taught me most everything, not just woodsmanship. He taught me everything I should know (and quite a few things I shouldn't lol) and someday we'll chase quarries again in the sky.

Loren

Offline Brian K

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 09:08:00 PM »
No doubt about it...  My Dad.   I wish I could be half the man he was. He was the best man in my wedding.   We never got tonspend much time together in the wood due to his health,  be he still managed to teach me alot.   Unfortunatly,   we lost him shortly getting married so my kids never met him.
There's only 7 days in a week. Someday is not one of them.

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 09:15:00 PM »
My father as well. Taught me everything I know and continues to do so. He is a deer killing machine and also stressed to me the importance of ethics in hunting. So thankful to have him in my life.
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline Fattony77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2013, 04:45:00 AM »
My uncle is the one who got me (as well as my dad, back in the old days) started in the outdoors at a young age. Now that we live close together again, I'm thankful that we get to spend time afield together again.

Online buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2013, 05:00:00 AM »
My dad, my grandpa, and my uncle. Three of the greatest men I know and also my three best friends. Unfortunately I dont get to hunt with them as much as I should anymore... there could never possibly be enough hunts with them anyways.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2013, 10:41:00 AM »
None of my relatives or dad hunted so it was learn on your own. After a few years deer hunting I met my friend Willy who was 12 years older and he became my mentor on deer, duck and goose hunting.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2013, 01:14:00 PM »
My family did not hunt. My son and I learned together and with friends through clubs, and by doing. There are all kinds of helpful tools including web sites, videos, books etc.

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2013, 03:19:00 PM »
My grandfather, back in the 1950's.  He had me shooting thrown tin cans out of the air with a .22 before I was 10 and hunting after that.  Sure miss that guy.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2013, 04:51:00 PM »
My Dad was a bigtime fisherman but it was my Mother that was my biggest hunting supporter. She loved venison and was a fantastic cook. When I got my first deer, I called her all excited, she made my Dad drive her to me so she could be part of the fun gutting the deer. But Dad did teach me patience, how to read the water and take care of my equipment. Things I easily applied to archery.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline T-Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2013, 08:14:00 AM »
My Dad, Grand Father and several Great Uncles. They were great woodsman.
William

JD Berry Valor 66” 45@28
Great Northern Bush Bow 62" 47@28"
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2013, 09:29:00 AM »
I have had several. My dad influenced me with his love of Bear recurves. My Uncle Jack with his love of deer hunting and running rabbits with beagles. Ron LaClair with his influence and mentorship on woodsmanship, and a love of doing things "the old way". Fred Asbell has been an outstanding mentor with regards to shooting skill and ethical thought.

I have been a lucky guy.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline TubbsTru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2013, 10:10:00 AM »
Roger,
I would definitely say you've been lucky to have men like that in your life!

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2013, 01:06:00 PM »
My dad taught me how to handle fire arms at a young age, and took me deer hunting with him from ages 11-15 ...then he quit hunting. i think i learned more about woodsmanship and tracking by reading the old Louis Lamour western novels than i did from my dad.

When i got into archery hunting, was when i really sharpened my skills. I did 95% of my hunting solo and learned the arts of becoming one with the forest through experience more than anything.... i'd have to say quite honestly the ravens and the squirrels and the game i hunted, were my mentors more than anything else. learning to flow with the wind,weather, and watching the moons cycle. Watching how the game did these same things taught me the patience it takes to be a good predator.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©