3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: which Widow? PSA or PTF?  (Read 584 times)

Offline PaulDeadringer29

• Trad Bowhunter
which Widow? PSA or PTF?
« on: November 16, 2013, 03:32:00 PM »
So I've sold off all my bows except my predator and grizzly, and now I have the funds to buy my 1st widow. Only problem is I can't decide which one. I know I want it 58" or 60" long and no less than 55# at my 28" draw. I've narrowed it down to the PSA or the PTF. If I found a good deal on either one used, then that's probably how I would decide. But what if I order one fully custom? Which one should I go with? Thanks

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: which Widow? PSA or PTF?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2013, 03:50:00 PM »
Well if you travel and need a TD then PSA if not I would go with a PTF, I have had both and I still have my PTFX.
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline SportHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 04:34:00 PM »
Sounds like you might benefit from a Widow test drive.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2013, 05:09:00 PM »
Either would be good, if you need a T/D that makes it easy. I would also think about The PCH. I like the long working limbs. I now have a PSA and I like it.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Online happy1

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2013, 07:32:00 PM »
I would go with a PCH over the PSA.  I have had both and the PCH is very quite and smooth.
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline hedgerowhuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2013, 07:37:00 PM »
PTF, why? Because I think it looks awesome, that why   :laughing:

Offline jmrsyrs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2013, 06:13:00 AM »
x2 on the PCH - but you really should do a test drive then there won't be any doubt in your mind.

Offline PaulDeadringer29

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2013, 07:09:00 AM »
The PCB huh? Man, right when I thought I had it narrowed down, lol. I've considered the test drive as well.

Offline OBXarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2013, 10:09:00 AM »
Where are you in nc ?  I have both you could try.

Offline PaulDeadringer29

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2013, 10:17:00 AM »
I'm about 45 min north of Greensboro.

Offline PaulDeadringer29

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2013, 10:20:00 AM »
So with the shorter riser of the PCH, I would get a longer working limb length, allowing for a shorter overall bow, yet still be smooth drawing? Am I understanding that correctly?

Offline jkm97

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2013, 04:23:00 PM »
Yep, longer working limb should be a bit smoother. I really like my PSA, but I want to try a PA and a PCH as well. I'm thinking of making the trip to Nixa one weekend.

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2013, 07:05:00 PM »
The grip is quite personal and often the determining factor.

You will need to put your hands on each to ensure you will be pleased.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Rick Moss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2013, 07:34:00 PM »
are black widow bow a true custom bow? what I mean by this is, are they actually hand built by a bowyer, or a production type bow...? forgive my ignorance, lol... newb here, but I think I will be in it for the long haul, I am already hooked and have only shot my bow two different times! I think I will start building a traditional stable and move out of the compound market...already put the word out that I would trade my Hoyt for a nice custom...we will see if I get any worth while bites.

Offline SARarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2013, 11:05:00 PM »
I have a PSA on order.  I test drove one and it was perfection, for me.  While I have not shot any other widows, the PSA is about as perfect a bow as I have ever shot in my short 3 years of archery.  I have shot ALOT of different bows in that time, primarily those of major manufacturers.  The takedown connection is solid as steel.  Ive shot other takedowns that have wiggle room and/or creak over time as you draw them.  Not so with the widow.  So, my vote is on the PSA!

Rick Moss, widows are CNC manufactured (with some hand work as well?).  Ive seen plenty of custom bows made all by hand that had plenty of blemishes in them.  The widow, albeit a small sample, was flawless.  Just my 2 cents.
Black Widow PSAX 56#@28"

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2013, 11:33:00 PM »
Well, literally the difference between the PTF and the PSA is a takedown vs. one-piece... really up to you...

That being said, I have a PSA that I have had for years... Two sets of limbs for it, and his name is "Reaper" as things just seem to die around him...  ;)   I also have a PCH that I picked up from the classifieds that I really like.  The PCH has a low grip that fits me like a glove... so much so that I'm sending Reaper in for a refinish as he needs it, and to have the grip reworked into a low grip...  Both are great bows, but I haven't had a PTF or a KB to compare to...

Best of luck, they are great bows... Oh, think about a skinny string for which ever you get... really quiets them down, and wakes them up to a degree...
"Bowhunting isn't a hobby or a sport... It's a way of life!"

Quote: "Everything you read on the internet is the truth." -Abraham Lincoln

>>>-TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline PaulDeadringer29

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2013, 05:42:00 AM »
Thanks for the help guys. After someone suggesting the PCH, I did a little research on it and think I'd like it better than the PSA. So now the decision is between the PTF or PCH. Once I figure out which one, then I have to decide the woods! But I'm really leaning towards a 58" PCH with a draw weight around 60# at my 28" draw.

Offline OBXarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2013, 07:08:00 AM »
Thought we may get lucky and you be a little closer.

I shot widows for about 6 yrs. At bear camp this year was the first I felt the low wrist grip. It was so perfect I sent two of my bows back to Nixa the next week to get redone. Between that and swapping to arrow dynamics arrows I feel like my effective range has gone up 10-15 yds.

Offline PaulDeadringer29

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2013, 05:49:00 AM »
Yea that would have been convenient, thanks for the offer OBXarcher.

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2013, 06:24:00 AM »
PSA standard grip for me. It all depends if you want the benefit of a takedown bow. Traveling on hunts? Getting lighter/heavier  limbs in the future? A few years ago I posted a thread on Trad Gang "Question for Widow Owners" It's in the archives. It might help you. Let me say this too. I have been doing this Trad Thing for many, many years. I have owned recurves,hybrids and longbows. I have shot a ton of bows. If I would have bought a PSAIII years ago I would have saved myself a fortune!   :biglaugh:  I now realize the extra weight/mass in the riser makes a difference for me. PSA is the smoothest drawing,[feels a lot lighter than it is]  easiest to set up/shoot, quickest, quietest recurve I ever shot. IMHO

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©