3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What type of traditional hunting show would you most watch?  (Read 1207 times)

Offline bigb3303

• Trad Bowhunter
What type of traditional hunting show would you most watch?
« on: November 16, 2013, 04:08:00 PM »
So I have decided to try and follow in my fathers footsteps and pursue making hunting videos and shows. But instead of compounds and modern methods, it will be strictly tradational. So of these choices of show themes what would you most watch?

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: What type of traditional hunting show would you most watch?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2013, 05:30:00 PM »
Good luck with this!  Don't see why you necessarily have to pick one or the other. If you have a spectacular hunt, of course you're going to want to film it. In between times, a little show and tell is always interesting, too.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 05:53:00 PM »
A number of years ago Gary Morris (C&W star) had a hunting show on that was great, very low key, informative, misses and hits, no yelling/fist pumping, even selfbow hunts.  I was very sad when it went off the air.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline far rider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2013, 08:14:00 PM »
Funny, just today I remarked to my wife how awful the hunting shows are today, and how I really wish someone from "our" world would put a good show together.
You have some good ideas, and you may even be able to incorporate several into one show to keep the topics interesting.
Go getem' Brandon
Noli rogare pro onia pauciora, rogate pro scapulas latiores.

I go afield with bent wood, stick and string in search of serenity  through my primal quest.

Venatôr

Offline Jack Rehacek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2013, 08:30:00 PM »
As long as you would kill real world animals, not just P and Y critters I would watch. Also not to many commercials or pushing of products. Good Luck in your endeavor .

Offline Jake Scott

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2013, 09:00:00 PM »
A few requests based on my observations of the current trash offered....

Show accomplished hunters applying real world tactics and hunting truly wild game.  I am not interested in seeing an eight year old kill a 150 inch whitetail buck over a corn pile.

Place emphasis on the lifestyle of hunting with traditional equipment.  I think most would agree it is not something that only takes place between late September and Christmas, it is an all year and in many cases lifelong pursuit of improvement.  Most hunting shows depict ways to make the hunt "easier"....which I find deplorable.

Above all I would like to see heavy emphasis on hunting ethics.  I believe good ethics do not change depending on chosen equipment.  Regardless of whether one chooses to hunt with a self bow, or the most modern firearm, the ethics of the hunt are constant and unwavering.  I believe that most folks on mainstream hunting shows present hunters as brainless rednecks, only interested in "whacking" animals that most folks will never have the opportunity to pursue.  All respect for the animal and the pursuit is lost.

Just one mans input.  I say best of luck.  If you achieve what you are talking about you can guarantee I will be tuning in.

Thanks,

Jake
FORM FORM FORM FORM

TGMM family of the bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2013, 10:33:00 PM »
Good luck with your endeavor!

Bisch

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2013, 10:47:00 PM »
I give up watching hunting shows about 3 years ago. I just cant stomach all the hype and BS. I do watch trad bowhunting dvds from time to time.
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2013, 12:21:00 AM »
Please, leave out the wild fist pumping end zone celbrations over the "great shot" made possible only by the wiz bang shaft hafted with the murder on my mind broadhead along with a recitation of the obvious incredible P&Y score of an animal that has not been recovered yet, usually followed by a return in the morning to finally track and recover the animal.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2013, 01:31:00 AM »
No whitetails from a treestand.
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline Fishbucket

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2013, 09:10:00 AM »
Add some beginning to end " how it's made" on the equipment used.  Show who and how the arrow/bow/string/quiver was made.

Offline britt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2013, 09:47:00 AM »
Keep It Simple.
"My gratitude speaks when I care and when I share the trad. way"

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2013, 09:49:00 AM »
A friend of mine had a mostly trad TV show for a few years on Sportsman Channel. It is SOOOO difficult to secure stable sponsors to pay for these shows.  

The cost to the network is very high. This is why (and I hate em too) so many commercials are in them. Frankly, many of them look like 100% commercials. The Ozontics craze is making me sick these days.

Another thing lots of folks wouldn't know is how wishy-washy sponsors are.  Would be sponsors will pleddge their support months ahead of time, expenses incurred, and then the sponsors never pay up leaving cameramen without pay, hosts going broke, etc.

The ones who make it have gimmicks that keep me from watching them. There is an especially rampant gimmick many employ these days and I switch the channel as soon as I can.  They have to go overboard with the drive to market themselves.

I have found the Bob Costas treatment to be very helpful in enjoying some of these shows -- I mute the show and just watch the pictures. I don't need the nimrod telling me about the moon, fronts, Ozontics, or the latest in stink-off while I watch a deer walking through the woods.

Offline BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2013, 10:09:00 AM »
Truly none.  Just not interested in watching hunting.  It's not a spectator sport....
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2013, 10:18:00 AM »
You need an option for all of the above.  I see no reason to limit what you cover.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Swamp Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2013, 10:38:00 AM »
The "hunting" shows on TV now are over the top disgusting; I'm not sure you would be able to break through the current negative image to present something decent.  I'd be thinking more along the lines of a documentary to present a history of the various aspects of "traditional" archery; that being any stick and string weapon without cables, cams etc.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
- William Arthur Ward
Black Widow PSAV 42#@29
Collection of Red Wing Hunters
Northern Mist Superior 43#@28
Blue Ridge Snowy Mt 51#@30"

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2013, 11:05:00 AM »
Originally posted by BAK:
Truly none.  Just not interested in watching hunting.  It's not a spectator sport....
X-2

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2013, 11:18:00 AM »
I grew tired of the hunting shows long ago and do not watch...or plan to.  Finding sponsors for such a show would be difficult in my opinion, considering the fact most shows are filled with disgusting ads...and they are the ones who will finance it.  I enjoy an occasional DVD that I already know a little about.  Good luck coming up with a show "I" would watch because I've already decided I will not watch.
Lon Scott

Offline jkm97

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2013, 11:59:00 AM »
Like Meateater, except with trad gear. Do not focus on trophy animals, just legal ones. Emphasis the desire for meat, and show how the hunt unfolds from beginning to end, including scouting.

Offline usmc1029

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2013, 12:26:00 PM »
Dido to jkm97. Meateater with a longbow.  Guy has a classy program.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©