3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What type of traditional hunting show would you most watch?  (Read 1206 times)

Offline Rick Moss

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What type of traditional hunting show would you most watch?
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2013, 12:58:00 PM »
I would love to see a show with a 'real' hunter that would be just that, real. to show the passion of the hunt and the animals, not just the size of antlers and blowing their chest out on all their 'accomplishments'. I think the best hunters out there, are not on tv, and would kill circles around most of the tv hunters, if the tv hunters had to actually do their own scouting, hang their own stands, and not have all the 'work' done for them. too many shows nowadays are nothing more than a commercial, with commercial breaks...a plugfest that really has more to do with pushing products than the actual hunt. too many people are commercialized, and care more about their reputation and the number of inches on a set of antlers. I love a big buck as much as the next guy, and will eventually get 'my monster', but I think the tv stuff has lost what is real, and what is really important. I love being in the woods, the experiences, the encounters...and the sheer beauty of what God gave us to enjoy. I think a show that was real, and expressed the real passion of what we do...and the love of the animals that most 'real' hunters have would be great. I would watch for sure. a show that was about what bow hunting is really about,and not all the egos and products.
show the passion, show the real hunts...good and bad. teach that a successful hunt is not just one that ends at a dead deer. hunting to me is about the hunt, the experiences in the woods, the birds, the squirrels, the beauty of the woods themselves, everything as a whole experience...seeing deer, and taking deer is just the icing on the cake. but I love just being out there, no matter if I kill something or not. I love the meat, and that is the main reason I do it, but all the experiences that come with it make it into something that no other experience in the world can come close to. I think you will do great and now that you have some input on what a lot of us are looking for in a show, go do it...have fun, and be real...and I think you will be very successful with tons of viewers! good luck and keep us updated please.

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2013, 01:41:00 PM »
As mentioned in a number of replies, "hunting shows" have to be sponsored. The companies that market their products for sale want just that, sales! They are not particularly interested in a show that does not offend our traditional sensibilities. Beyond this I will be x3 with BAK: "Truly none. Just not interested in watching hunting. It's not a spectator sport..."

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2013, 07:15:00 PM »
I don't watch too many hunting shows since most are all crap.  However, the topics you polled on would all be good.  I'd also add doing public land hunts to keep it real for many of us.

Whatever you do, DO NOT talk about antler score and NEVER refer to a particular buck as a "shooter".  Man I hate that.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline jkm97

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2013, 07:23:00 PM »
Or name them...

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2013, 07:32:00 PM »
NO STUPID BACKGROUND MUSIC! Yes, I shouted that. I had to to be heard over the irritating soundtrack. Let us hear the woods. Let us hear your breathing pick up when a nice deer gets close. In case you are still wondering, I HATE the "dramatic" background music.

I hunt from tree stands, so I see no reason to only show ground hunts. Just don't fist pump and pat yourself on the back. Give the animal the respect it deserves. Actually hunt. Don't "go back to look at the footage" to decide if you made a good shot or not. Check your arrow, look for blood, tell us if its bright and bubbly or dark from the liver, or if you have stomach contents on it.

I would watch a real hunting show. I used to go to the theater and watch Fred Bear and an Indian guy who drew his string to the center of his nose. I wish I could recall his name. Those were good shows. Make something like that.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline bigb3303

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2013, 07:49:00 PM »
Thanks for all tr imput guy! I have been watching my Fred bear DVD collection today in between church for inspiration. I want my show to be as much of a hunting show as it is a nature show. I plan on hunting from both ground and tree stands as that's how I hunt and just bassicly film my every day hunting trips. I probley won't be able to have it on tv, I was thinking more of an online show that way there is no comercials ect. And I will only mention products I use. Not becouse they made the kill possible but becouse they are good american made products I believe in like maddog bows ect. Hopefully I will get this going soon! I plan to film on the hill gang ho hunt so hopefully that will be some awsome footage!

Online MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2013, 08:14:00 PM »
I never really watch any hunting shows and kinda agree that hunting isn't a spectator sport. But, done right showing the "lifestyle" I would watch. Also small game ,interviews, maybe shop tours with some boyers or other suppliers. And a cooking segment would be great.
Best of luck to you!
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline long time archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2013, 08:46:00 PM »
From your selection, I probably would not watch any. I am tired of 'I'. The shows today are mostly trash. It seems the only way you can be a 'hunting star' is be fat, have a lip full of ?? (who knows?), crucify the English language, and hunt very private farms or game ranches. All designed to show the big 'I'.

Agree with Selfbow, Gary Morris and Brad Smith had the best all traditional (mostly selfbows they made) bowhunting show ever. Why not go back to that type of format? Why not show other traditional bowhunters doing their thing and giving teaching moments rather than film yourself all the time? That I would watch.
long time archer

Offline beaunaro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2013, 01:44:00 PM »
In my opinion, It's not going to be easy.
Existing "Outhouse Channel", self promoting, "celebrities" have ruined it.
If you are not going to try to make money on this, it's one thing, but...it takes sponsors or it takes about $100K, and a season's worth of useable video to "buy" your own show on TV.
But if somehow you can portray why we choose to take up the pure stick and string...
why we like to keep it simple... why we consider any legal animal a trophy... why we just like to be outdoors, mentor others, include some educational footage, some history, some tributes to our forefathers...

I look forward to your show whether on TV or streaming videos on the computer.

Best of luck, great idea, not trying to disuade you, just take the high road, be different, show reverance to the animals.

You know already what we prefer to watch.

Just persuade others to do the same.
Irv Eichorst

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2013, 02:02:00 PM »
Even if every Trad Gang member watched, would that be enough eyeballs to cover the expense?

I will say that I occasionally do a YouTube search and watch hunter-produced videos of their traditional hunts. Some of these are far better than anything on TV.

The only hunting show on TV that I will make a point to watch these day's is Fred Eichler's. He is real to me even though I've never met and don't know him.

I used to watch Bowhunter but it is fast loosing its appeal to me.

Offline halfseminole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2013, 04:14:00 PM »
If I watched, I'd love to see a show about someone who truly lived off the land-even to the point of making his own equipment.  Knapping points and truly using his/her kills.  Be a darn sight better than watching people kill for fun.

Offline BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2013, 05:17:00 PM »
None of them, I just don't view it as a spectator sport.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline Trab

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2013, 06:38:00 PM »
It's an over due need to the hunting industry. (Traditional Only)....There have been several good points about the difficulty of putting the show together, specifically dealing with the problems of sponsorship. IMHO it clearly needs to be done online. YouTube would seem to me to be the perfect place. I recommend touching base with Dave Mullins of Public Land Bowhunters. I do not personally know him but have watched a number of his videos and they are all done in the fashion you seem to be targeting. No cornfield near by, on public land, etc...they include the entire process-gear, scouting, building natural ground blinds, hunting, etc....Hope he doesn't mind me referring you to him, but he seems like a stand up dude with a keeping it real attitude. As for YouTube, I use it a lot to search for this type video and if you had a Channel with them I think many would seek and find it.....Best of Luck     :clapper:  
Trab in NY
“The virtue lies In the struggle, not the prize”
Richard Monckton Milnes

Mark Trabakino
[email protected]
Stormville, New York

Online mjh

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2013, 08:21:00 PM »
Thanks for putting several options on the table.  I don't have cable or satellite so my chances of seeing such a show on the TV are slim. Might watch a youtube now and then but unless reminded I'd not regularly search it out.   A traditional only, free range hunt would be nice to see once in a while.  The whole hunt from planning to the freezer, from gear chosen, the camp, the hunt, the trophy the meal with family and friends.  Best of luck in your pursuits.

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2013, 09:42:00 PM »
Maybe PBS would buy a well made balanced look at trad bowhunting?
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline Knotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2013, 11:54:00 PM »
I like the idea of both the tradbow and a flintlock.   I've always wanted to try one.  Im not into the new versions of the smoke pole.  I do love trad bow stuff but not that long ago we used to call guys hunting with recuvres just bowhunting... no "trad" required.

...you could even mix in a little old skool shotgunning.   I have a name for your show.  The throwback hunter.  

I do think making a hunting show worth filming is difficult.  My favorite for a long time was the heartland bowhunter show for the cinematography.  The bowhunter magazine guys did a good job and every now and then punctuated the show with trad equipped staffers.  The programs now are all full of what I call system hunting that relies on guides, gizmos and gimicks... cue loud annoying, patronizing and repetitive commercials and drag out 8 minutes of footage for 30 minutes.  

A big part of hunting that shows cannot capture is the boredom, frustration and toil - which leads to risks, adaptation and learning... hopefully a little success.  The shows just show the last two parts.  I do it for the challenge and the love of the outdoors and not because it looks easy.  I like your idea and I hope the networks you pitch to see what you see.
56" TD Checkmate Hunter, #55@28
66" Checkmate Crusader, #60@28
60" Meland Pronghorn LB, 65@28

Offline britt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2013, 09:37:00 AM »
I would like to see what it is like after a harvest. The real hunt begins. The gutting, skinning, capping, quartering, handling of meat,packing, and processing the meat. Also showing the respect for a animals life that was taken.
"My gratitude speaks when I care and when I share the trad. way"

Offline Scott E

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2013, 09:43:00 AM »
I like the idea of doing a trad hunting show but having tips in the show would be good too. You could do a 5 minute segment with a self bow builder, or a shooting tip, or making various trad archery things.

Good luck let us know where we can watch it!
Self reliance cannot be bought

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2013, 09:59:00 AM »
Interesting thread!

I think the guys that say it isn't a spectator sport would be interested in watching if it hit closer to home. What I mean is that if the shows portrayed things as most of us do it then we could relate and it would be interesting. For example…there is nothing more boring for me to watch then an African hunt…never done it, likely won't…and can't relate. If I was to partake in one later in life, I'd likely enjoy watching it more after that point.

Long winded interviews from guys that shouldn't be talking on camera isn't what interests me. When 11 minutes of a 12 minute video is talking I turn it off. Let the footage tell the story, not the hunter.

Then there's all the stuff we all agree on…dramatic rehearsed shot reactions…horrible phrases…. fist pumps….bad music….huge expanses of private land with food plots…etc. I'd love to have tons of food plotted land but I don't, I can't relate, therefore don't enjoy watching it.

As far as stand or ground hunting…I'd like to see an adaptable hunter. If there's a good tree to sit in…do it! If there is no good tree…sit on the ground! If the wind switches, don't go home…just climb down and find ground cover.

Point being…make a show that portrays how we really do things…people will watch!!

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2013, 10:32:00 AM »
I might watch the survival format simply because I like them, but overall don't care for watching hunting films. Personally, making a shot is only for myself, and I don't care to share the image with others; likewise, I don't care to watch the shots on game made by others. I like the stories and the trophy pictures (if done tastefully), though.
Sam

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©