3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What type of traditional hunting show would you most watch?  (Read 1205 times)

Offline paoliguy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What type of traditional hunting show would you most watch?
« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2013, 12:13:00 PM »
I'm not a fan of "hunting" shows but I would watch an informative show that truly represents the entire process from gear to scouting through meat preperation. A light hearted real life look at traditional lifestyle and hunting would be enjoyable to me if it were done in a respectful and dignified way.

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2013, 01:30:00 PM »
This was covered recently in another thread.
I would watch a show that had a variety of species hunted, all traditional, no in your face ads during the show. A down to Earth host(trad people generally are).
Also, one that shows all the preperation and practice involved in hunting game with a trad bow.

Offline beaunaro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2013, 01:44:00 PM »
I like trab's suggestion.
Hook up with Dave Mullins.

I don't know him either, but he knows how to produce a professional quality video.
He has done a lot of stuff for Rick Welch.

If Rick uses him, you know he's gotta be real.
Irv Eichorst

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2013, 02:12:00 PM »
I wouldn't try and sell it to a hunting channel by the way. You will never convince me that a traditional bowhunting show wouldn't have tens of thousands of viewers. Have you seen some of the shows on TV?
We definitely DON'T need another show with a guy 25' up a tree shooting whitetails. That has been done to death.
A"Meat Eater" with trad gear is a good idea. It's so well done even my wife will watch it.
Good luck getting it done. I wish you all the best!

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2013, 02:16:00 PM »
Think about what hunters want to know about traditional archery? Many hunters would love to try traditional archery, but have no clue where to begin.

You could do segments on how to bare shaft an arrow.

You could explain about finding a bow that's right for you, meaning best weight and length.

You could chrono a hunter shooting a 55lb bow and then a 45lb bow and then show why new hunters to the sport should look to a lower weight bow.

You could do segments on sharpening, which many cannot do well.

Building arrows? Selecting the right cedar arrows?

Form suggestions, common form mistakes could be covered.

What nearly all hunting shows do is under-cover how best to blood track and recover poorly hit game. Sure, hosts say that "backed out until tomorrow", but then they cut to the dead animal the next day. Show what a liver hit blood trail looks like compared to a lung hit. Explain WHY you need to back out on a liver/gut hit and that 8-10 hours may be needed, not 3-4. Other suggestions about proper lights to bring, marking tape to find if you have to come back, etc.

Shows show how to get to the shot, but are thin about what to do after the shot.

How about how to process and package deer? Cabela's has a whole "food" dept and I bet might be interested in a sponsorship concerning jerky making, food savers, knives, hoists, etc.

You could discuss why certain quiet clothing works better than others, etc.

I would think there'd be a decent pool of sponsors, from Black Widow, Magnus, Cabela's, 3 Rivers, Kustom King, etc. to finance a show.

As others suggested, no loud metal music, don't orgasm on camera when you shoot something as if it's your first deer ever, don't act like a Nugent DB that embarrasses us as the hunting community.

Figure out the questions people have about traditional archery and then answer them.

To be honest, I wouldn't just limit the show to traditional archery. I'd also include traditional muzzleloaders and perhaps the "cowboy caliber" lever guns. It would expand interest yet retaining the same theme and would increase your sponsor pool. Track of the Wolf, T/C and Traditions Muzzleloaders may sponsor you if you did "how to" and hunts with side lock muzzleloaders. And I suspect most everyone here at tradgang would watch a show with a mix of trad bows and traditional muzzleloaders.

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: November 19, 2013, 02:25:00 PM »
I do like the idea of including traditional blackpowder along with mostly Trad bowhunting.

Offline bigb3303

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2013, 02:56:00 PM »
Thanks for all the imput guys! SO I have decided on what I am going to do, and am going to start filming on saturday. I plan on calling the show "Throw back outdoors" (thanks for the name idea) And cover all aspects of the sport, from pratice, tuning, hunting, stalking, tracking to taking big game, and preparing and cooking it. I am also going to include small game, and trapping, and use traditional bows, my flintlock, and cowboy actions rifles/pistols. but mostly bows. I also plan to film other people when ever I can, give tips, advice and there hunts! I am going to use no modern equipment if I can keep from it, and teach back to the basics. I will let you guys know of the progress  :goldtooth:

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: November 19, 2013, 03:02:00 PM »
What type of camera set up do you have. Is it going to be self video or with a cameraman? This is super cool…hope it works out!

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: November 19, 2013, 03:39:00 PM »
I have a super cool custom .58 flintlock if someone from Michigan wants to take it down and use it. Problem is, after my eye surgery, I can't see the sights well enough to use it ethically anymore. So it's a flintlock looking for another kill.

Offline Knotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: November 19, 2013, 06:10:00 PM »
Sounds great!  Keep us posted on how it goes.
56" TD Checkmate Hunter, #55@28
66" Checkmate Crusader, #60@28
60" Meland Pronghorn LB, 65@28

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2013, 06:32:00 PM »
While I know we're straying a bit from the mission statement of Tradgang, if you do traditional muzzleloaders, I bet many would have an interest about ML shotguns for turkey, waterfowl and small game.

While I've killed several deer with sidelock rifles, I've never even fired a sidelock shotgun, let alone know how to properly load one. I suspect many here might be interested in that kind of thing also.

The hard part is to educate and still remain entertaining, by showing a hunt that likely ends with a kill.

Other thoughts are building natural ground blinds in the off season and how/where to build them. You could do a whole show at my place, we have like 20 giant "eagle nest" type blinds.

I wouldn't be afraid to have an occasional "ethics talk" round table and have 2 differing opinions of an issue to chew on, as long as everyone is respectful and sponsors aren't spooked off.

Offline bigb3303

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2013, 08:18:00 PM »
I have a cambel cam that is professional video quality. It's actually my dads and is used on his hunts for whitetail properties and monster bucks, but I have a go pro for my self filmed.

Offline BRITTMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: November 19, 2013, 08:33:00 PM »
Survival shows are popular for all people would be a great way to intoduce more people to trad archery and would probally do better for main stream tv
" Live long and prosper "

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: November 19, 2013, 08:37:00 PM »

Offline BRITTMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: November 19, 2013, 08:48:00 PM »
Survival shows are popular for all people would be a great way to intoduce more people to trad archery and would probally do better for main stream tv

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: November 19, 2013, 08:50:00 PM »
Would be neat to have guest hunt with you .
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline BRITTMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: November 19, 2013, 10:46:00 PM »

Offline Rick Moss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: November 20, 2013, 12:34:00 AM »
it would also be cool to include other members of this forum and do guest hunts and maybe even guest profiles. im sure several people on here would participate, I for one would offer a great ohio deer or turkey hunt in Coshocton county ohio(not sure about being on camera though, maybe). have a 'camp fire segment' with a couple of guys sitting around a fire or something of the like, and discussing different topics, or tips...but that was already mentioned. good times, humor and laughter would always be a welcome addition. I borrowed the Wensel brothers' video from dirty bird, 'spirit of the bow' ...and I have watched it three times in two days, I love the way they are serious, give tips, and have a lot of fun and laugh a lot...not much better than those two guys right there!

Offline Rick Moss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: November 20, 2013, 12:35:00 AM »
or try to get the Wensels to do a guest segment! that would be cool. do a segment of the greats of the past, Fred Bear, Howard Hill, ect...

Offline johnnyk71

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: November 20, 2013, 10:25:00 AM »
Originally posted by jkm97:
Like Meateater, except with trad gear. Do not focus on trophy animals, just legal ones. Emphasis the desire for meat, and show how the hunt unfolds from beginning to end, including scouting.
THIS x 100.

best show on t.v., and about the only hunting show i watch every week. presents hunting in a positive light, well done, and about much more than just the kill. the commercials are there, but not during the actual show. if i want to skip them, i can.
All lefty, all the time...
Martin Hatfield 45#@28"
Liberty Chief Elite 53#
Blacktail Elite V.L. 53#
Maddog Prairie Predator 51#
Sheepeater Spirit 50#
RER Retro 53#
RER LXR Recurve 52#, Longbow 54#

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©