3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Recurve limb noise  (Read 787 times)

Offline Paul_R

• Trad Bowhunter
Recurve limb noise
« on: November 16, 2013, 08:11:00 PM »
The limb noise is really noticeable on my 60" recurve (Predator Hunter). The string is quiet but the limb really hums. My short recurves don't do that at all.

Anybody else notice more noise with longer limbs on recurves or am I just lucky? What can be done to quiet things down?
"My opinion is free and worth every penny"

Offline Homebru

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Recurve limb noise
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2013, 08:14:00 PM »
What type of string is on it?  
homebru

Offline Paul_R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 08:21:00 PM »
It has an SBD 8 strand with beaver balls

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2013, 10:46:00 PM »
Contact the young ladies at Bow Hush...bet they can provide a fix

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2013, 10:48:00 PM »
Limb Savers are great if you can stand the looks.
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline dhermon85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2013, 11:11:00 PM »
Are beaver balls evenly spaced?  Usually put that way. Slide the bottom silencer up the string 4-6 inches. Will look weird but seemed to help quiet my recurves. There's a word for it....but doesn't come to mind.

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2013, 11:51:00 PM »
I would not consider 60" a long recurve ... are you padding the limb tips ? I would switch to wool or cat whiskers for the string and pad the limb tips. If that does not work try adding limb savers too. I have never had a Predator bow but have had many 60" bows and the above suggestions worked well.

Measure the length of the string where it touches the limbs and divide by 4, then place your silencers at that measurement down from each limb tip where the sting makes contact. So if you have a 56" measurement put your silencer 14" down from where the string contacts the limb.

Good luck ...
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline dhermon85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2013, 12:05:00 AM »
Search- heterodyning. Well put elkken

Offline Paul_R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2013, 12:39:00 AM »
Thanks guys!

Offline Walter Mauney

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2013, 07:27:00 AM »
Try adjusting your brace height. There seems to be a sweet spot for some bows to be their quietest.
Yours truly,
Walter

Offline Bobby Urban

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2013, 10:03:00 AM »
X2 on Walter Mauney's advice.  All good stuff above but getting the brace height perfect before adding and silencers will be the best place to start imo. Every bow will shoot best at a particular brace  -  even for different shooters and draw length.  Start with taking it as low as you can until it gets loose(may be where you are at)  Then bring it back up a few twists at a time until it gets solid.  Add string silencers and put them at thirds of the distance from where the string touches the limb - not the string length.  They will look deeper(closer to center) than most are used to but this is where they will do their best work.  It is a physics thing and has to do with harmonics. Perfect is dead center but that is obviously not an option so thirds is 2nd best.  If it is not as quiet as you want at this point add limb savers to the inside of the limbs at the fades.  If all this does not work get heavier arrows or a new bow.

Offline Paul_R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2013, 10:16:00 AM »
I've done brace height adjustments and it has very little effect on this bow, it sounds the same throughout the range. This bow just has noisy limbs. And it's just this particular bow. It's a hummer and mostly from the limbs not the string.

Offline Swamp Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2013, 10:40:00 AM »
Sounds like a good candidate for limb savers to me.  Yeah, ugly and not "traditional" to most; but they work for me on recurves.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
- William Arthur Ward
Black Widow PSAV 42#@29
Collection of Red Wing Hunters
Northern Mist Superior 43#@28
Blue Ridge Snowy Mt 51#@30"

Offline Gordon martiniuk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2013, 10:56:00 AM »
another way too it is to add a stabilizer bushing and put on  stubby rubber limbsaver  on her and yes the others are right on ,, different string and try higher brace hight  is the starting point then limb savers then the stabilizer bushing  if these don't help trade the bow
Gord

Online TGbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2013, 11:14:00 AM »
I've found that different bows like different string materials. Even using a string that works well on one recurve will not have the same effects on another recurve. I had a recurve that was noisy with d97 but an xs2 string wss really quiet.
Dont know why but it made a big difference.

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2013, 12:34:00 PM »
Limbsavers after you get everything else as good as you can.They  definatly work!

Put them 3-4 inches above the fadeouts of the riser.Ihave played with them alot and for me this is where they should go on a (traditional bow limb).They will dampen limb vibration very well thier.Better than at the fadeouts or near the limbs ends where the instructions say to put them

I even use them on my hunting bow that is already quiet without them to make it virtually silent.

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2013, 12:44:00 PM »
Talk to Pierre from SBD. I am sure he is willing to help and probably can solve this for you. Maybe you don't have the right string length.

I have 8 strand SBD strings on my 62 inch recurves and a 6 strands string on my 62 inch hybrid longbow. No issues at all. I shoot between the 8.8 and 10 gpp.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

Offline Paul_R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2013, 01:03:00 PM »
Originally posted by Flying Dutchman:
Talk to Pierre from SBD. I am sure he is willing to help and probably can solve this for you. Maybe you don't have the right string length.

I have 8 strand SBD strings on my 62 inch recurves and a 6 strands string on my 62 inch hybrid longbow. No issues at all. I shoot between the 8.8 and 10 gpp.
I have 8 strand SBD's on all my bows and the Predator is the only one that makes any noise at all. It's also my only 3 piece TD bow....

Online GRAYBEARD

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2013, 01:07:00 PM »
heterodyning helped me with a Shrew Scout recurve. made a substantial difference when compared to equal silencer spacing.
TGMM Family of the Bow; Make every heartbeat a party, the next one is not guaranteed!

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2013, 01:11:00 PM »
Originally posted by Paul_R:

Originally posted by Flying Dutchman:

I have 8 strand SBD's on all my bows and the Predator is the only one that makes any noise at all. It's also my only 3 piece TD bow.... [/b]
My RER and Phoenix are 3 pce TD's as well. No issues.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©