3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: what to expect?  (Read 549 times)

Offline Rick Moss

• Trad Bowhunter
what to expect?
« on: November 17, 2013, 12:30:00 PM »
First off, I want to thank my good friend Dave aka Dirtybird, for all your help and hooking me up with a great bow! I am the proud new owner of a Tall Tines custom recurve, 60#@28". This is an amazing bow, and absolutely beautiful. I have been shooting a compound bow since I was 9, I am 36 now, and have decided to jump into traditional. I have been interested for a long time, but never jumped in until now. I live in Ohio, and my dad and I have some property in Coshocton county, which is one of the best in the state...and we have some giants. My main concern is having one of the giants step out at fourty yards, and having a trad bow in my hand... I am pretty good with my compounds and can regularly hit a baseball sized target at sixty yards...and I was worried that my stubbornness about anal accuracy would cause me to not be real happy with the groups I may get with a recurve. I have had a lot of fun so far, and dirtybird seems to think that I am shooting pretty good so far. I am a perfectionist when it comes to my archery, so I refuse NOT to get really good and proficient with my new passion. I like the 'family' oriented way this forum seems to be, very unlike the big compound forum where too many people are down on others because of what brand of bow they shoot!!! HOW REDICULOUS!!! Anyways, I look forward to learning from you and being part of your community, and thanks for having me! Now I can only hope to one day have an amazing collection of custom bows like Dave does, but he has like twenty incredible custom bows...a guy can wish though right!
  Anyways, I am not sure I can expect the accuracy I attain with my Hoyt's...but I think I will have more passion for the sport(or lifestyle I believe more than sport)than I ever have before, and I am a very passionate person about bowhunting and wild life. I look forward to learning from the gang and bending some limbs.

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: what to expect?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 12:34:00 PM »
Welcome Rick, I believe you will do just fine with proper practice habits.  Consistency is one of the biggest. Welcome to the gang of some great people.   :wavey:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :archer2:

Offline Rick Moss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 12:41:00 PM »
thanks bro, and thanks for hooking me up with such an awesome bow...just let me know when you are ready to sell some more! lol. you don't need that many bows anyways, haha.

Offline Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 01:04:00 PM »
Rick, welcome to Traditional Archery, it sounds like you have a great bow and friend. I would like to offer a personal opinion on your stated concern about game at 40-60 yards yards and accuracy by posing a question. I have never heard much consideration given to the fact that at 40-60 yards with any bow it takes more time for the arrow to arrive than it takes for a deer to take a step and then what?

Offline RLA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, 02:02:00 PM »
Set your stands for 10 to 20 yard shots, if game stays outside your affective range, well there's always next time. 40 to 60 yard accuracy is a lofty goal, but is attainable. 50 to 60 yard shots at foam yes, live game, not for me.

Stick with it and best of luck, it's a great sport/way of life.

Offline Rick Moss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 02:06:00 PM »
hello jim. although I do not think a 40 yard shot is an often taken shot, I have killed two deer at forty plus yards, actually my first bow kill was at 46 yards. BUT, let me state that EVERYTHING has to be absolutely perfect for any shot at that distance(at any distance for ME to take ANY shot), relaxed deer, very little wind, very quiet bow, ect. I have only taken two shots past thirty five yards, and fortunately both were pretty much perfect shot placements. I think shooting a quiet, accurate, and fast bow...with great confidence is the key though. I can shoot pretty good at sixty, although I would never take a shot longer than around forty five...just too much risk(and like I said, EVERYTHING has to be PERFECT in that instance.
that being said, I don't think I will ever take a shot more than thirty with traditional gear, no matter how good I get with it. I believe a man MUST know his skill, and his limitations...and never shoot or attempt to shoot past that at any living animal...we owe it to the animals we persue to kill them quickly and humanely.
with my compounds, I shoot long distances to challenge myself, find flaws in my form, and it also makes the shorter shots very easy when they present themselves. I like to shoot long distance at targets, but I have my limitations and know my skills...and will NOT shoot beyond them.
I was just stating that that was one of the factors holding me back from shooting traditional...that a buck will probably present itself easily within my kill range with my compound, but well out with trad gear. I have accepted the fact that my success rate(as far as getting deer kills) will go down, and the ranges will undoubtedly be shorter...and everything in general will be more difficult with trad gear, but I have accepted the challenge, and I am sure the gratification will be all the more awesome once I am successful at getting my first deer with traditional gear. things are always so much more appreciated when you have to work harder for them!

Offline jkm97

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2013, 02:10:00 PM »
Me and you are pretty close. I spent 18 years shooting compounds, and killed 85 or so deer with them. Last spring I finally switched to trad, something I'd been toying with for awhile. I sold all of my compound gear and bought a Black Widow.

Like you I was lucky enough to have a local mentor, and that has made the learning curve far less steep. Still, it's a journey. Finding the right arrow was my biggest challenge...when I did my shooting came to life.

Still, I have missed as many deer as I have killed this season (3) and I know I have a long way to go. But that's a large part of the fun....

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2013, 02:16:00 PM »
I can't count the number of times I've thought,  " I would have had that deer with a compound".  But i've chosen this road and now I just say " I need to get closer"
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2013, 02:36:00 PM »
After coming off "anal accuracy" with a bow having sight pins,and moving into traditional archery. It may quite possibly be the most humbling thing you ever do.... i'm not saying this in a bad way brutha.... Please don't get me wrong. But you asked "What should i expect?"

First of all hunting with a traditional bow is a close in game.... We typically use heavier shafts that are moving much slower than today's high tech compound bows are. The momentum of the heavier shaft, along with suitable broad heads will do the job just fine....

to keep your trajectory as flat as possible is always a good thing. most traditional archers are taking their game between 15-20 yards to do just that.

As far as your potential for accuracy goes... the sky is the limit if you have the dedication to master the bare bow. it requires a lot more practice than using sight pins and a peep sight on the string. there is also the art of getting off the string consistently, and maintaining back tension holding much more weight at full draw.

It's a wonderful challenge if you have the dedication and the patience required to stick with it.....Once you've made a total commitment to it. you'll find an incredible feeling of self worth and satisfaction once it comes together.... If harvesting game at longer yardage is important to you. i would recommend hanging onto your high tech gear until you get over it.    good luck Bro!

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2013, 02:42:00 PM »
Kirk pretty much nailed it 10/10.  Nough said.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2013, 02:57:00 PM »
Rick, again welcome, you seem to have very reasonable expectations concerning the switch from compounds to traditional. Simply as food for thought, and again concerning longer shots at game. Even under "perfect conditions", the damn things can take that step any time they want.

Offline Norminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2013, 03:07:00 PM »
I have a brand new, top of the line, 2009 wheel bow in a box. I can't even remember what it looks like. I also have numerous dust covered firearms. Once you go Trad ,  your done.
Norm from Canuckistan

45#,50#,55#,56" Bear Grizzlies
45#,54#,52" Bear Kodiak Magnum
55#,58" Vintage Works 62 Kodiak
55#,62" Tomahawk

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2013, 03:14:00 PM »
One more note...... last night i was high up in the Cascade mountains hunting black tail deer when a nice looking buck crossed in front of me at a trot at about 25 yards casing two does.... When i grunted at him he stopped dead in his tracks, and turned towards the sound.

I had him dead broadside at 40 yards right out in the open..... Instead of saying to myself, "Crap! If i had my compound bow i'd be dragging this buck out of the woods tonight...."   I fould myself going through the slow motion process of coming to full draw with my long bow and looking at him down the length of the shaft.... as i settled into my anchor a whisperd.... "Gotcha!" and counted coupe on him  as i let the string down.....

I never gave shooting that deer a second thought.

Now when you can do that, and smile to yourself. You know you've successfully made your commitment to hunting with traditional gear... Good sport brutha....good sport...

Offline Rick Moss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2013, 03:41:00 PM »
thanks a ton for all of your comments and advise. I agree 100% that if I must get over the fact that I just need to get closer, and I totally accept it! that is the reason I made the jump to the 'real' bow hunters! lol. I respect you guys SO MUCH that you will probably never know, I pride myself on meeting any challenge head on, and that is what I am doing...I have only shot my new Tall Tines a hand full of times and am already giving selling my compounds some serious thought! seriously! I meet the challenge with a smile, and I am SURE it will humble me...but I also know I will become an even better hunter and archer. one of my favorite things so far, is the comeradary,(sp?) and the way no matter what 'brand' you use, you all respect and help each other...and that is for sure missing from the 'modern' guys...big time! I got a great bow to start with, but I already want more! up until I got my recurve, I shot about every other day with my compound. I like to shoot, A LOT! and I know to be good with a recurve or longbow, you MUST practice a lot. I think it is great how you guys have welcomed me with such welcome and open arms, and I thank you all so much for that! it is nice to 'belong' to such a great community, and you sure have made me feel welcome! thank you all for that, it really means a lot! it is also great to have such a wonderful friend in dave(dirtybird), and I respect him more than he will ever know, I have looked up to him for a long time, as a person and as a bow hunter! he is a great dude and a ton of fun to hang out with...he has taught me a lot and I am sure he will teach me tons more...as will all of you! it is nice to have the support of such experienced and wonderful people as all of you, thanks! I am really happy and excited to be a part of your community, or from what I am getting...I should probably call you guys a family! thanks gang!

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2013, 04:46:00 PM »
Welcome to the obsession! As far as accuracy goes, I think you can become just as accurate with a recurve as a compound. You just have to keep in mind, the arrow will be in flight a bit longer, which means more time for a critter to do something that will ruin your day. I KNOW I can hit the kill zone on a deer at 30 or 35 yards. What I don't know is what the deer will do between the time I release an arrow and when it get to where he WAS.

That's why I have passed some dream bucks that were dead broadside at 30 yards. As Kirk said, I counted coup and hoped for another chance about 10 yards closer. That hasn't happened for me yet, but I don't enjoy the hunt any less.

Unlike many here, I have never used a compound bow, nor do I believe I ever will. I have no issue with those who choose to use them. They just hold no appeal to me.

Again, welcome aboard. Enjoy the ride!
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline Rick Moss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2013, 05:09:00 PM »
Originally posted by 30coupe:
[QB] Welcome to the obsession! As far as accuracy goes, I think you can become just as accurate with a recurve as a compound. You just have to keep in mind, the arrow will be in flight a bit longer, which means more time for a critter to do something that will ruin your day. I KNOW I can hit the kill zone on a deer at 30 or 35 yards. What I don't know is what the deer will do between the time I release an arrow and when it get to where he WAS.

thanks man, I think this will be an amazing ride for sure. I am okay with passing shots, it is part of hunting after all. I never have forced the shot either, so waiting until the deer is twenty yards or closer will not be a problem. I do have a lot of encounters at that range anyways...hopefully I can just do my part when it is time. I may not hunt with it until next year, but I will be shooting it a lot! I want to be sure I can make it happen before I go getting all gung ho and wounding an animal. I am excited to finally take the step and get a big boy bow!

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2013, 07:46:00 PM »
Welcome man you will meet and chat with a lot of great people for sure and  you started it off with a great guy!! (Dave) aka Dirtybird he will steer ya in the right direction for sure
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Offline Rick Moss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2013, 07:58:00 PM »
Originally posted by pred80:
Welcome man you will meet and chat with a lot of great people for sure and  you started it off with a great guy!! (Dave) aka Dirtybird he will steer ya in the right direction for sure
thanks pred, dave and I have been friends for years, and your right...he is a great dude. I have had some good times with him, and took him to maybe the best turkey ground in ohio...he about crapped, okay if im honest, we BOTH about crapped when we came up over a hill on my dads property, and there was a group of about twenty turkeys, all but like four or five were nice big gobblers! we have almost a thousand achres including the bordering properties, and NOBODY turkey hunts them. we had a blast stump shooting and walking around the property...next time we stump shoot together, I will be using a recurve instead of my compound...excited to get out and play! ...he also hooked me up with an AWESOME BOW!!! thanks brother!(now if I can talk him out of a few more...hint hint if you read this dave!)

Offline onewhohasfun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2013, 07:39:00 AM »
To me it is not about" how far" but " how close".  Since I made the switch in 1985, for every chance I have had to pass on deer too far, I have had equal chances at deer that were moving and, or, in thick cover that I would not have been able to take with a wheel bow. I think it balances out. The quickness and pointability of a stick bow can become an advantage in many situations.
Welcome and good luck.
Tom

Offline bigb3303

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2013, 08:14:00 AM »
Welcome to the campfire! I come from a 3D tournament background, so making the switch to traditional was not easy for me to do either . I enjoy shooting my recurve so much though , that I have sold all my compounds! I let a 2013 elite tour go for $200! Recurve fever is worse then buck fever! keep at it, and shoot daily. Your groups might be softball size , instead of quarter size, but thats still a great shot on an animal or in the ten ring! Its also nice when you are with your compound buddys, who say "your hunting with that" , and then you kill more then them hahah.   :campfire:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©