3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How do you stay in your stand all day  (Read 730 times)

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: How do you stay in your stand all day
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2013, 08:57:00 PM »
I have no problem keeping interested in the woods and spend my stant time thinking and observing.  Some folks find quiet, introspective time awful.  I look forward to it.

I can't tell you how many deer I have first noted by seeing a leg move or an ear twitch that I would not have noticed until it was too late otherwise.  Be vigilant and be alert.  That allows you to get positioned before they are close up.

When nature calls I do some still-hunting, roving, eat lunch., etc.  Then go back for the last hours of the day.

If I get to the point I need a book or other distraction I may give up hunting.  Better to talk to God than read what someone else wrote about Him.  In the woods you're in His real house . . . not one man built to try and contain and control Him.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline knobby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2013, 09:15:00 PM »
I'm with KentuckyTJ. If the location is good, there can be action at anytime during the pre-rut/rut.  Early in the season, I only do around three hours at dawn and dusk. A little food and water, a deer every so often, and I'm happy with where I am.

Offline far rider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2013, 12:00:00 AM »
Some days are better than others. I have set from daylight to dark, standing a few times during the day. If the stand is comfortable, I can sit with a good magazine or book and the time goes right by, but it helps if your seeing deer. COMFORT, COMFORT, COMFORT is the key for me. If my feet get cold, or my back starts aching...I'm done.
Noli rogare pro onia pauciora, rogate pro scapulas latiores.

I go afield with bent wood, stick and string in search of serenity  through my primal quest.

Venatôr

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2013, 10:50:00 AM »
I sit till around 11:00 then scout are slip hunt till around 2 or so and sit the rest of the day during the rut. Sometimes I sleep in and sit from around 8 till 2:30 the sit a feed tree late evening.RC

Offline D.J. Carr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2013, 02:06:00 PM »
I think its just something you have to get used to.  When I was a kid (before hunting age)and wanted to with my Dad hunting, I knew if I complained or didn't sit still.... I wouldn't be able to go again. So I learned to sit still and keep the mind occupied.  I only sit all day probably 5 or 6 days a year.  But if I think I need to sit all day to kill the buck I'm after, I will.
An archer tries to find ways to shoot further more accurately, a bowhunter tries to get as close as possible to ensure his shot is accurate.

Offline jjwaldman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2013, 05:11:00 PM »
How do you sit in a stand all day?  Easy.  I don't.  I did it once and decided never again.  Plus I don't seem to have the time anyway.   :dunno:

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2013, 06:45:00 PM »
First three hours in the morning and three hours before last light. If I'm hunting a hot doe site during the rut, I may sit longer if I think it's worth it.
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2013, 06:53:00 PM »
Use a good cushion and bring a blanket for those colder days.
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline SERGIO VENNERI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2013, 07:46:00 PM »
The right time is better than a long time !  :dunno:

Offline TubbsTru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2013, 07:50:00 PM »
Most people have covered the main stuff: comfort, seeing game, developing mental toughness.

A couple of practical things I do to sit all day are:

1. Those little energy drinks. I know some won't agree, but they keep me alert.
2. Give yourself something to look forward to. Tell yourself you get to eat your snacks at 8:00, 10:00, noon, 2:00, etc.
3. Think about the time when.... I've had it happen a number of times that the best deer movement came after seeing nothing for hours and I could barely sit anymore.
4. Do some calling. For whatever reason, giving a little rattle or grunt (at the right time of year of course) gives me the anticipation I need to sit it out another half-hour.

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2013, 11:23:00 PM »
Originally posted by Stumpkiller:
I have no problem keeping interested in the woods and spend my stant time thinking and observing.  Some folks find quiet, introspective time awful.  I look forward to it.

I can't tell you how many deer I have first noted by seeing a leg move or an ear twitch that I would not have noticed until it was too late otherwise.  Be vigilant and be alert.  That allows you to get positioned before they are close up.

When nature calls I do some still-hunting, roving, eat lunch., etc.  Then go back for the last hours of the day.

If I get to the point I need a book or other distraction I may give up hunting.  Better to talk to God than read what someone else wrote about Him.  In the woods you're in His real house . . . not one man built to try and contain and control Him.
Amen, brother!
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2013, 11:37:00 PM »
thats all i hunt up here- those elusive blacktails, and i do like the tree,s but will sit the dirt, or spot and stalk and call. i do whatever the situation calls for.
those black tails are tough customers!
i read, and watch the critters
wayne

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2013, 12:09:00 AM »
Have endured all day'rs numerous times yet never w/o an exhausted lower unit.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2013, 01:25:00 AM »
I spend maybe 15 -30minutes tops in a stand for coyotes. Deer hunting here is mostly spot and stalk. They realy do not have a set pattern. Our deer are real big roamers. The ones in the high sierras any way.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline NOMAD88

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2013, 06:54:00 AM »
Make sure your stand has good cover! You can stand up stretch, sit stand kneel, sit stand kneel,   :laughing:   and you won't feel like everything is being spooked.

Online TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2013, 10:09:00 AM »
The comfort of a Summit treestand makes it easy for me.  I have a few lock ons that I sit in all day on occasion but it's rough. The key ingredient to all day sits is believing in your setup.  

I have several spots that are a pretty good walk to get back in to.  It's often easier to stay all day than to leave and the come back.    When the time is right (first 15 days of November) and the wind is right it's actually pretty easy for me to to sit all day.  

A couple sandwiches and a couple water bottles and I'm all set.  Having a phone so the family can be in touch if necessary puts my mind at ease and let's me relax and enjoy it.

There's really nothing more peaceful than the autumn woods at midday when the conditions are just right.

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline DarkTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2013, 12:12:00 PM »
#1 for me is confidence in the spot I'm hunting.  If I'm in a spot I truly believe I have a shot at killing a nice buck anytime of the day everything else is a luxury and it's pretty easy for me to sit all day.

Offline Altiman94

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2013, 12:19:00 PM »
I just started trying mid day sits this year and saw a lot more deer than I had expected to.  Typically I'd hunt 3 hours in the AM and 3 hours in the PM.  I'm not to all day sits yet but mid day hunts really upped my deer sightings.

I feel that I could do it if I had an adequate supply of food with me, but its hard for me to spend the entire weekend in the stand from dark to dark and keep the wife happy.
>>>--------->

Offline Jock Whisky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2013, 07:37:00 PM »
I made four hours yesterday. Best I've done so far. I felt I could have done more but had a commitment at home. I climbed out after about three hours to take a leak and shoot a couple of arrows. Then back up the tree. The food trick works too. Basically something to look forward to. It seems the old trick of breaking the day up into smaller pieces works. I'll give it another go probably tomorrow. It'll be a good test. Temps are dropping so keeping warm will be a priority.
Old doesn't start until you hit three figures...and then it's negotiable

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2013, 07:58:00 PM »
I can make 3 hours tops. At 63 I have too many aches and pains, plus after that length of time I have thought of a lot of things I need to be doing. I can do the 3 morning and 3 evening without a problems, but after a couple weeks of this I have to see a Chiropractor to get put back in place.
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©