3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: BEST ALL AROUND DRAW WEIGHT???  (Read 710 times)

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
BEST ALL AROUND DRAW WEIGHT???
« on: November 17, 2013, 06:22:00 PM »
I was wondering whats the best all around weight for almost everything like turkeys..deer..hogs..bear..elk..etc i know the most important thing is shot placement on anything but wondering what everyones input is?
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: BEST ALL AROUND DRAW WEIGHT???
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 06:25:00 PM »
55?
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline Jason Kendall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 06:25:00 PM »
I think your 50#@29 would be fine for your list.

Offline elknutz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 06:27:00 PM »
Ok, I will bite.  The amount you can shoot comfortably.
"There is no excellence in archery without great labor" - Maurice Thompson
"I avoid anything that make my dogs gag" - Dusty Nethery

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, 06:31:00 PM »
THXS guys i figured i hope to shoot this bow even when i am a oldman but a second set of limbs was a thought to me??
NRA Life member

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 06:32:00 PM »
Wow...that totally depends on the individual pulling the string.  If you took that component out of it I would say 50#.  50# is large enough for anything on your list and many archers don't find it cumbersome to pull in the cold.  It also makes you legal in most (if not every) state for elk.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2013, 07:10:00 PM »
I go along with the 50-55 weight for an all around bow. It has taken me 55years to realize that. Yes, I can still shoot 64 lbs. but my 55#bows are more comfortable and the old body does not ache so much after a 150 arrows in a morning.

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2013, 07:18:00 PM »
Tacking a number on power really does not objectively say much. Draw length and the type of bow and the arrow used has a bigger roll in killing power than anything.  However, I believe that a 50 pound Bear takedown or a Super Kodiak drawn to 28", even though they may be not anywhere near the fastest bows there is, will kill anything we have to hunt. I chose those because they happen to be very good hunting bows, even though I have a very full tummy from eating part of the buck my wife shot with her [email protected]" bow and cedar arrow, tipped with a Zwicky. Which by the way, had enough power to shoot through both scapula, cut an artery, drop the buck on the spot and put the arrow into the next corn row.

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2013, 07:40:00 PM »
The draw weight, within reason, is akin to a syringe and the lethality of its contents is the arrow. Far more can be accomplished by optimizing over-all arrow design verses going up a moderate draw weight increase.

Fifty pounds, in fact, is quite sufficient for many as your own level of confidence must be satisfied.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline rbcorbitt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2013, 07:45:00 PM »
Friend,

Your linguistic skills not only amaze me, but make me smile     :thumbsup:
"I would rather be amongst forest animals and the sounds of nature, then amongst city traffic and the noise of man" - A.D. Williams

Online glenbo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2013, 09:50:00 PM »
Friend, you are truly a wordsmith. I enjoy your replies

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2013, 10:17:00 PM »
I really like bows 50-55, one of my go-to's is 55, the other 56.  With today's modern bow designs and materials 50-55 can get a lot done.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2013, 10:38:00 PM »
one you can shoot most accurately of course...but all things being equal I would think 50-55 for most big game is sufficient and optimal in cross between energy delivered to arrow, ease of shooting, etc.

Not sure it really matters though....35-105 have been used hundres of thousands of times by that many different people or more.

Most of my bows are 50-60....
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2013, 10:48:00 PM »
A lot depends on the bow and the weight of the arrow as well as the broadhead you choose. I shoot a 525 grain arrow with a two blade broadhead (either a Zwickey Delta or Simmons Tiger Shark) from both my Kanati and my Orion recurve. I shoot both equally well and the arrows are paper tuned to perfection with both bows. They both shoot these arrows at 175-180 fps. I would shoot anything on your list with either bow.

If I had to choose one weight, it would be 50# @ whatever you draw.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2013, 10:49:00 PM »
Rbcorbitt and glenbo…..much valued gratitude has been incurred by your generous comments.

Effective communication may be misused such as the abuses of statistical tools. My intent is to capture and accurately present my own thoughts and hopefully, not mislead. The traditional way is bound by few steadfast ways as I have but scratched the surface of its multitude of liberal and unique offerings.

Often times, the ones who know much say too little. Perhaps the image reflected errantly depicts one who is already convinced of his own knowledge.  Hopefully, one day the image will reflect the true soul of Trad Gang.

As we value a longtime hunting partner, so too we must be appreciative for the rare traditional refugee camp w/I the community of Trad Gang.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2013, 09:43:00 PM »
After owning way to many bows than anyone should. The 3 57lbs @ 28'' bows seem to fit the best.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2013, 11:32:00 AM »
The statement to draw the maximum you can adequately handle is not really a flippant response, but it does imply the need for care, training, and much practice. But regarding the poundage selections that I see most commonly on this site, it seems that most of the guys seem to be from about 45# to 55#, give or take a few pounds. You do see a fair number of guys listing 60+ pound draw weights described, especially for the larger animals.

If you are most comfortable on the lower end of the scale, there is no need to feel under equipped. As others have stated, arrow selection, tuning, and tactics play a major role in your effectiveness. So draw weight is not the entire picture.

My preference is my 65# Hill bow, but I had an injury a couple of years ago, so my 55# Cheetah has become my go to bow. On it, I shoot cedar arrows with 125 grain Zwicky points.

After all this talk, shoot what you prefer and with what you are most proficient.
Sam

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2013, 11:51:00 AM »
Thxs guys I appreciate it was thinking of headed out west here in the future and didn't know if my 50# setup would work??
NRA Life member

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2013, 04:13:00 PM »
yes it will work with sharp broadhead and you do your part in the accuracy department...it will do very well.
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2013, 07:01:00 AM »
Thank ya much Brock I was surprised from a friend who strung his 52# limbs up and shot it and then put his 68#limbs on...through the chronograph wasn't much more FPS between the two believe it or not!!
NRA Life member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©