3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Arrow question  (Read 376 times)

Offline cunruhshoot

• Trad Bowhunter
Arrow question
« on: November 17, 2013, 08:06:00 PM »
Not sure where to post this exactly hopefully this is the right location. I have been making my own arrows out of Douglas Fir and other woods. Lately the Douglas fir I get from a local big store has been really tough to work with. Even though I get straight grain with no runouts the wood seems very brittle. I cut my wood down to 3/8 x 3/8 squares and then run them through my router jig to turn them. I have made at least 75 arrows this way with good results but lately all my wood seems to be very light spined and brittle.

Now the question. Is the wood used for arrow shafts processed differently then the wood that you would get off the shelf at a big store whatever that store is in your area?

Am I wasting my time trying to make quality arrows with the wood off the shelf?
As Iron sharpens Iron so one person sharpens another...Prov. 27:17

Offline Stephengiles

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arrow question
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 11:15:00 PM »
I'm no arrow maker but I was a carpenter most of my adult life. Have you compared the growth rings between a good batch and a bad one. Don't know anything about Douglas fir as I'm on opposite end of the country . But after building enough years I can tell what a piece of pine will do and if it was grown on a plantation or in the wild. You may know all this already but if you do not  maybe it will help.

Offline cunruhshoot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 11:24:00 PM »
I will check that out I have samples still of both batches of arrows.

Offline Oregon Okie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 10:04:00 AM »
I am not expert but I have gone out with the Surewood guys to get wood before when I was living in Oregon. We spent the better part of a day cutting and loading Giant chunks of wood that looked good in the field... Don't think most of it ended up as shafts because those guys are pretty selective about what they use.... so I'm guessing that they at least try to be getting the wood and looking at grain run out and how the wood splits as far as internal grain... or whatever they call it. I'm guessing the wood business doesn't do that but sounds like you've had some good luck.  Could just be different moisture causing the brittle nature???
So in short... I don't know : )
"Don't believe everything you think" - bumper sticker

"Savage Blaster" - 50@31 - 63" (recurve I made with Steve Savage)
Firefly TD longbow - 50@31 - 63"
7 Lakes double shelf from a blank - 45@31 - 66"
Trident ILF w Blackmax carbons - 42@31

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 11:23:00 AM »
you might try cutting the potential shafts a bit larger and compressing the wood.

BAB
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2013, 12:25:00 PM »
One of the things I have noticed while cutting lodgepole pine for firewood is that the growth ring width and density can vary from one side of the tree to the other.  The brittleness would seem to be a matter of moisture content, but that;s just a guess.

I too have gotten widely varied results doweling out doug fir.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline cunruhshoot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2013, 06:35:00 PM »
Good input - I will keep at it and see what i can accomplish...Thanks

Offline Surewood Steve

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2013, 07:31:00 PM »
As the Oregon Okie said we split our wood into bolts from logs that we cut our self.  Split bolts are better for arrow shafts than cut bolts or sawed lumber from the hardware store.  Plus lumber yard wood is kiln dried, which is a fast forced drying process, not cut into boards, and stacked and stickered and allowed to air dry for several months.  The process that we use we feel is the best for our business and makes the best arrow.  We just got back from the mountains today with a good load that we hope will make some future Surewoods.  Steve
"If you don't shoot wood arrows out of your Trad bow it is like taking your split bamboo fly rod and fishing with worms and a bobber."

Offline cunruhshoot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2013, 01:13:00 AM »
Steve - thats what I was wondering. I figured the kiln dried was not the best when compared to a purposeful process of drying wood specifically for arrows. I guess when using lumber yard wood it will be more of a hit and miss.

What would be the best wood to attempt to use if I want to make up a few from the lumber yard?

Offline Surewood Steve

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2013, 02:17:00 AM »
As a rule mass weight in the wood gets you heavier spines.  Boards that are heavier in mass weight should get you heavier stronger arrows.
"If you don't shoot wood arrows out of your Trad bow it is like taking your split bamboo fly rod and fishing with worms and a bobber."

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2013, 08:30:00 AM »
When I was making arrows commercially I found that Doug fir was very brittle if it was too dry. It is very pretty arrow wood but is not my first choice.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©