3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: broadhead for light poundage (kids)  (Read 601 times)

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
broadhead for light poundage (kids)
« on: November 18, 2013, 11:07:00 AM »
Alright guys, I have a question for all of you folks with young kids shooting sticks.  What broadhead?  I know this is like asking what is better ford or chevy, but it is what I need to know.

I am taking my son on his first out of state bowhunt.  We will be chasing javies.  He is shooting about 35lbs at 23".  He is only 9, but a very good shot.  We were practicing yesterday and he would hit a coke bottle (20 oz) 8 out of 10 time at 20yards.  When he missed he was bad close...

Anyway, I have looked as Magnus stinger and Zwicky Eskilite mostly, but is there another head that is more effective on the penetration side?

BAB
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: broadhead for light poundage (kids)
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 11:36:00 AM »
The 100 grn Stinger would be a good choice.
Or maybe a 90 grain Muzzy,  MX4?
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline DarkTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 11:38:00 AM »
John,

What weight are the tips he is currently shooting?  That might help narrow down your options.  If he's already shooting very well it would probably be a good idea to stay close to that weight so you're not changing his setup.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 11:44:00 AM »
Quite a few good choices, actually.  Grizzly, Zwickey Eskimo and Woodsman/VPA would be high on my list.  I would stick with something with a cutting point.  Are you needing a screw in or a glue on?
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 11:53:00 AM »
When Adam turned 12 he was pulling about the same and killed a hog with a grizzly. Any 3:1 two blade will do the trick.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2013, 11:58:00 AM »
He is shooting 100gr heads right now, but i am at least going to get him into some 125s.

Bjorn, i had not looked at Grizzlys, thanks.  

I am going to stick with a 2 blade for penetration.  I don't really think 3 or 4 blades will be able to do the job with such little momentum.

BAB
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2013, 12:12:00 PM »
Lots of good suggestions, a STOS 130 would work well for him also.  If you are really concerned about penetration, the ceramic coated STOS Classic would be an excellent choice.  The super slick ceramic coating is amazing.
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2013, 12:19:00 PM »
I don't have much experience with light poundage. I shoot 70# @ 28 and draw a tic over 28.

How much will a 45gr jump in broadhead weight effect arrow flight, @ 20 yards or less, with a light bow?

I am not really afraid to change his arrows up.  I have ordered him a new bow that will be here for Christmas, so there will be several changes for a Feb hunt, but at the same time I don't want to make him have to account for too much arrow drop when its "crunch time"

I ordered him one of the 7lakes "sawed off" 56" recurves.  I think he will like it.  :thumbsup:

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2013, 12:46:00 PM »
Any sharp 2 blade will be fine in 100 grains.  The Stingers would perform no problem, that is what I use. I would personally keep the shot to about 15 yards or less and never look back!

That's just my opinion,
Charlie

Offline bigb3303

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2013, 08:51:00 PM »
You can buy a slick trick viper. It's 100 grains . It comes as a four blade but can be shot with two removed. I do this but with the 150 grain model. They are by far the sharpest broadheads made in my opinion.

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2013, 10:59:00 PM »
Grizzly or Steelforce premiums.
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2013, 11:18:00 PM »
Stinger would be my choice.

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2013, 11:53:00 PM »
85gr Buzzcut with some added weight on the insert.  The owner of Magnus recommends the buzzcut for low poundage set ups and is his personal favorite, I think that's a pretty good endorsement of a head IMHO.
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2013, 09:01:00 AM »
i would have never thought the serrated blades would improve penetration, but like I said, I have no experience with these setups.

Have any of yall ever shot javies with light poundage?  Are they hard to penetrate?

I don't want my son to be bumed on this trip because he shoots a javie or two and looses them due to lack of penetration.  

BAB

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2013, 01:02:00 PM »
Glue on?

Ace Hi Speed at 100gr or Eskilite at 110gr.

Screw in?

Magnus Stingers 100gr.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Logan1202

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2013, 01:07:00 PM »
125gr Landsharks would be my choice... My son is shooting about 40lbs at his draw and using Interceptors...

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2013, 04:48:00 PM »
Seems like the stingers are getting a lot of push.  

They are going to be screw in.

BAB

Offline Fanto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2013, 06:02:00 PM »
i would reccomend you ready Dr. Ashby's reports, or at least get the gist of it.

shooting 50# at deer sized game allows us to get away with most any 2 blade.

however, 35# is a different matter. how heavily shielded are those hogs?  what about heavy bone hits?

I would reccoment a 3:1 langth to width in a single bevel. I guess youre wondering who on earth makes one light enough? well, someone sure does. Outback Broadheads, and they only cost about US $35 per half dozen. 125gr

http://outbackbroadheads.com.au/outback-supreme-125-grain

Offline Fanto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2013, 06:04:00 PM »
i would reccomend you ready Dr. Ashby's reports, or at least get the gist of it.

shooting 50# at deer sized game allows us to get away with most any 2 blade.

however, 35# is a different matter. how heavily shielded are those hogs?  what about heavy bone hits?

I would reccoment a 3:1 langth to width in a single bevel. I guess youre wondering who on earth makes one light enough? well, someone sure does. Outback Broadheads, and they only cost about US $35 per half dozen. 125gr

http://outbackbroadheads.com.au/outback-supreme-125-grain

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2013, 11:39:00 AM »
Originally posted by tarponnut:
Stinger would be my choice.
No question.
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement