3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Morrison 13" ILF Riser  (Read 1925 times)

Offline coyote2

• Trad Bowhunter
Morrison 13" ILF Riser
« on: November 18, 2013, 03:27:00 PM »
I just ordered a 13" Morrison ILF Riser ... What limbs of you guys recommend ? I have a 28" draw ...would you go with Med. or longs ? wanted to keep the price under $250 so more then likely I will go with a set of used limbs but would go with a low end new limb as well ... Want something smooth with good speed... Also how many pounds will limbs gain on this riser?
Thanks

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
Re: Morrison 13" ILF Riser
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 04:23:00 PM »
Mediums will have a stack point just a hair past your draw length, the bow will feel smooth right to 28 but not much past it might make it to 29, it will vary by manufacturer, anyway this is not a bad thing, it will actually allow you to use the full efficiency and power potential of the limbs.  If you prefer more of a pull-through feeling of smoothness you could go with longs or xtra longs, depending on your bow length preference.  Mediums will give you a 56" bow, longs 58", xL's 60" and so forth.  

ILF risers generally gain 1# per inch so say limbs are rated on a 17" riser, on a 13" they will be about 4 pounds heavier.  This again will vary somewhat.  A bow scale is a good tool to have when doing ILF.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline coyote2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 11:07:00 PM »
What do you guys think of the ******** limbs?

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 11:47:00 PM »
Good value and performance for the money.  Dryad is one of my favorites though for anything ILF.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline NittanyRider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 09:43:00 AM »
Coyote - I don't mean to hijack your thread, but I was wondering if anyone (nineworlds) has any experience with the Centaur ILF longbow limbs?  I have a Phoenix 15" riser with the medium BM limbs and it is a really nice shooting bow (the Jaeger grip on the Phoenix is great!).  This is my first recurve and my only issue with it is that it's noticeably louder than the longbow I have owned.  It's definitely not the loudest RC out there, and the HushPuppies I recently put on the string helped a lot, but I would really like a quieter bow and I'm curious if the Centaur limbs would offer that, plus high performance.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 10:00:00 AM »
Any longbow limb, whether Centaur, TT, Dryad, etc is going to be quieter than a recurve limb.  The only two recurve style limbs Ive tried that had any decent level of quietness were a static tip type from Dryad and a super-recurve type from Border, where the string can wrap onto the ends rather than slap.  I have not personally tried the Centaur limbs, only TT and Dryad, but if its coming from Jim Neaves you can be assured it works.  I have no doubt that they are smokers either.  They will be near as fast as a recurve.  I own a 1pc Centaur and it is superb.  I have an ILF riser that just won't sell, so I may have Jim make me up a set of the Centaur limbs in XXL with some skins.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline NittanyRider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 10:20:00 AM »
Thanks for the info on the longbow limbs!

Enjoy your new Phoenix riser, Coyote.

Offline Bob Morrison

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2013, 12:36:00 PM »
Where did you get the 13" Phoenix??

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2013, 07:11:00 PM »
Haha, that is a good point Bob.  

Nittany, I should have mentioned Bob makes some super limbs as well if you can find some or order new.  I had a pair for a time that I picked up new/unused second hand and was really impressed.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Cootling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2013, 07:18:00 PM »
Your mileage may vary.  I've owned/tested and rejected a number of r/d longbows because they were too noisy for me!

I currently shoot a Pronghorn takedown longbow and a Morrison 15" wood riser with long BM carbons.  Both are very quiet.  Would like to try a set of Sky limbs on my Morrison, but they aren't in my budget at the moment.

I had a set of medium limbs and I was happy with them until I tried longs.  I draw about what you do and shoot the longs much better.

Offline Cootling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2013, 07:23:00 PM »
Almost forgot that I have a 13" Morrison and a 13" Dryad here as well, and I have shot them with both medium and long limbs.

For my part, I would definitely choose longs.

Offline Bob Morrison

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2013, 08:09:00 PM »
Just wondering??? I don't have a 13" Phoenix myself yet. I was hoping I would have the 1st one   :bigsmyl:

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2013, 08:20:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bowbldr:
Just wondering??? I don't have a 13" Phoenix myself yet. I was hoping I would have the 1st one    :bigsmyl:  
...ladies and gents let me introduce Mistah Bob Morrison!  Lmao
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline coyote2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2013, 08:43:00 AM »
My riser is a 13" wood riser not a "Phoenix" I would like to have one ..., thanks for the info guys

Offline NittanyRider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2013, 09:35:00 AM »
Originally posted by coyote2:
My riser is a 13" wood riser not a "Phoenix" I would like to have one ..., thanks for the info guys
I just realized you never mentioned a Phoenix, but that's what I assumed you had.  My bad!    :knothead:     :bigsmyl:

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2014, 12:28:00 PM »
I recently bought a set of Centaur ILF longbow limbs for my Morrison Mini 13 Dymalux/Phenolic ILF riser. I am VERY impressed with their performance-- they are longs, make a 58" bow which is smooth and very quick. Limbs are bamboo core, woven carbon back and I think black glass on the belly, same lay-up as the Chimera, per Jim Neaves. I had some glass ILF longbow limbs in the past which were like noodles, very soft. Also some Morrison ILF carbon/foam recurve limbs which are nice but not nearly as smooth or quiet as the Centaurs. They like a pretty high brace, 7 1/2-8".

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2014, 02:02:00 PM »
The Black Max 1 limbs, by Bob Morrison are terrific and very quiet as well. I shot some a year ago.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©