3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: practice  (Read 867 times)

Offline valleysniper

• Trad Bowhunter
practice
« on: November 18, 2013, 04:42:00 PM »
Just wondering how much practice everyone does, how many days per week and how many days......Gary

Offline valleysniper

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: practice
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 04:42:00 PM »
sorry, should have read how many days and how many arrows

Offline Ravenhood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 06:03:00 PM »
I try to shoot every day. I don't know if I would call it practicing every time. About 10 to 20 arrows a day .

Offline Rustic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 06:05:00 PM »
At least 1 arrow per day but normally many more.
Bear Montana Long Bow 50#@28"
PV Longbow 48#@28"
Bear Grizzly Recurve 45#@28"
Darton Trailmaster Recurve 35#@28"

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 06:23:00 PM »
It's not how many arrows or how many days per week!  It is WHAT you do during each practice session!  Do you have a plan?  Did you have one thing to work on and work on that?  Did you keep track of what you did and how it worked out? That way you know what to work on the next time.

If your "practice" is just shooting arrows and hoping to get better, you probably won't (get better).

FWIW

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline RIng

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2013, 06:43:00 PM »
5-7 days a week .15-20 arrows 10- 20 yd. 3-4 days walk around the woods around the house with a judo .

Offline valleysniper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2013, 07:16:00 PM »
Thanks for the replies, I usually shoot every day, just curious I have been told by some guys that they only practice only shoot once a week. Seems like you wouldnt be able to keep your form or get the results you would want.

Offline Igor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2013, 07:23:00 PM »
I shoot most everyday...sometimes a couple of sessions weekend days....30-50 arrows per session...just like to shoot!

><>>
Glenn
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding In all your ways submit to him and he will direct your paths

Offline Todd Cook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2013, 07:46:00 PM »
I shoot almost daily from January to September. When the season comes in I don't shoot as much, probably twice per week.

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2013, 07:54:00 PM »
I practice when I feel like it-once a day, several times a day, every other day-95% of the time stump shooting.  Sometimes a half dozen shots, sometimes more.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2013, 08:04:00 PM »
Daily.  I start by taking my first shot at my 3D target.  Then I go to my bag target and shoot for form at around 5 yards.  Then I move back and from different spots.  Finish on a 3D target.  Hard to get much in with the short days but I try to get in as much as I can.
T ZZZZ

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2013, 08:28:00 PM »
I usually grab 1 arrow and stalk around the edge of the house and take a 15-35yd shot on my 3D deer that is in the edge of the woods behind my house. It is a cold totally focused shot and 9 times out of 10 it goes exactly where i look. I do this 2-4 times a week and it helps me.
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2013, 08:32:00 PM »
I meet two or three friends and we shoot three times a week, about 75 arrows per day, at a combination of paper targets and roving targets.  Quite often I shoot on the other days too, and I shoot in tournaments 6-8 times a year.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2013, 08:45:00 PM »
Never!!

I know what practice is, I had it when I was in High school.

I had to practice basketball and baseball.

It was work!!

I will however confess I love watching an arrow fly so I do shoot and I shoot a lot but the reason I shoot that much is because of one thing.... it's fun!!

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline far rider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2013, 10:43:00 PM »
Not nearly enough.
I would like to practice at least two or three times a week, but sometimes it's weeks between. I think if you practice enough to maintain strength and muscle memory, that should be enough unless your competing.
Like Mudd, I enjoy shooting my bow, however, if I make it work, I feel like I may get tired of it. This way, it's refreshing when I shoot. IMHO
Noli rogare pro onia pauciora, rogate pro scapulas latiores.

I go afield with bent wood, stick and string in search of serenity  through my primal quest.

Venatôr

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2013, 01:21:00 AM »
What Mudd said. But I also hunt just about every week end and some times way more all year long.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2013, 07:38:00 AM »
I think most guys shoot too much.  The less I shoot the better I usually shoot. That means 1-2 sessions a week.

Too much shooting ESP when tired for guys like me develop bad! Problems
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline bigb3303

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2013, 08:20:00 AM »
I shoot every day unless its a downpour of rain, I shoot between 20-80 shot, after about 40 though I can notice a difrence in accuracy and form and am just wasting my time, but it has helped me build strength to keep going. I start at 30yards, and finish at 10

Offline Rick Moss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2013, 08:30:00 AM »
I shoot my 'other' bow about five out of the seven days a week, usually a hundred shots or so. from different distances out to fifty or sixty. I have a few targets, but my favorite is when I take one into the woods behind my house, that are a small valley with a flat flat creek bed in the midde. I shoot from different angles, up hill, down hill, through small gaps in trees, crouching, bending squatting, and twisted back around my bow side. this gives me tons more confidence in the woods hunting, and confidence is key for me. I will continue to do the same with my Tall Tines, but obviously not at those ranges. I want to get deadly at anything under 15 at first, then I will slowly make my way out to about 30. then we will see where I go from there...im sure with your help and good sessions with my boy dirtybird, I should get pretty good. and I agree with so many of you on one HUGE part of shooting, have fun with it!

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2013, 01:11:00 PM »
Originally posted by moebow:
It's not how many arrows or how many days per week!  It is WHAT you do during each practice session!  Do you have a plan?  Did you have one thing to work on and work on that?  Did you keep track of what you did and how it worked out? That way you know what to work on the next time.

If your "practice" is just shooting arrows and hoping to get better, you probably won't (get better).

FWIW

Arne
This is SO true.  Practice doesn't make perfert, PERFECT practice makes perfect.  One good arrow is  better than 100 bad ones.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©