3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Iowa heartbreak  (Read 806 times)

Offline Keb

• Trad Bowhunter
Iowa heartbreak
« on: November 18, 2013, 08:15:00 PM »
Well this is my second year as a trad hunter, last year I was lucky to harvest an giant kansas buck as my 1st deer. I was man this is easy other than the lack of range.

I was in for the cold hard reality of hunting with a stick bow. I drew a much anticipated iowa bow tag, I had scouted this public property and it looked great. Long story short lots of people in the timber so I decided to look in overlooked places. I found a giant 160 inch 10 pointer living in a warm season grass field across the road from all the timber. I had him at 8 yards on the ground no shot. Fast foward 3 days I'm back he comes thru the water way and gets 5 yards from me. I'm on the ground in a ghillie suit. He has no idea I am there. He grooms himself, stretches his body, starts eating something that sounded like aluminum cans, this goes on for 5 minutes, he is 5 yards behind a few sapling and about to come unglued.

He finally starts to walk and gets broadside and I drew and shot 6 inches in front of him. Ouch, I have never spent time at eye level with a deer of any kind, but on of this caliber it was unreal, I mean I was looking into this deers eyes.

Fast foward 2 days, I'm in a tree stand, 140 inch 8 with 10 inch brows is at 10 yards. I have shot but if he takes on more step I have the perfect shot. Well it was super windy he was nervous and from his body language he was about to leave. I took the shot and hit the only twig between me and him.

I forgot to mention when I got to my camping place, I locked my keys in my truck and had no cell phone or spare key. Several hours later a guy shows up and I call a tow truck and 4 hours later he unlocks my truck. I leave iowa after 2 weeks heart broken, but can return.

I hit a deer on my way home, messed my truck up bad. I borrow a truck and head back a few days later, to sum it up had two shooters at 20 yards and no shot, missed a doe.

This stick bow hunting is rough stuff, it's so rewarding but at the same time it seems impossible, I'm questioning my sanity.

Offline BenM

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Iowa heartbreak
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 08:22:00 PM »
Rough trip man.  Hang in there.  Your next one will be extra sweet.

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 08:33:00 PM »
Ahhh Keb, welcome to the club and welcome to my nightmare of a year. I have had uhmmm six, yes six, opportunities at big deer. My criteria: at least 3 1/2 years old. All were over 140. Here's it in a nutshell:

Deer 1: 140 inch 8, ghille suit, off the ground, 20 yards, over his back.
Deer 2: 160 inch 10 PT 20 yards facing me, no shot. Busted by wind.
Deer 3: rattled up a 150 fivebyfive to the base of my tree. No shot. Caught drawing on him by...
Deer 4: snuck in the back door after coming to the same rattling sequence as deer 3. An absolute monster with double drops. I nearly hung myself.
Deer 5: mid 140s 10 PT snort wheezed in to 15 yards. Awkward shot behind me a bit was very doable. Bottom limb hits seat on Lone Wolf. Arrow right under his heart.
Deer 6: today. 140 five by four. 10 am bow is lowered, my foot is on the first step down the tree. He walks in at 10 yards and I am busted.

After typing this I want to puke, but it is bowhunting. It is hunting the hard way and I love it. When you wrap your hands around another monster like last year it will make all the pain go away...At least I hope it does. If not I am going to need to see a shrink, a bartender, or both!

Keep after buddy!
Mike Davenport

Offline far rider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 08:39:00 PM »
Awesome thread!!!
You know why...?
I'M NOT ALONE......!!!!!!

You know, one day there will be a twelve step for our addiction.
Noli rogare pro onia pauciora, rogate pro scapulas latiores.

I go afield with bent wood, stick and string in search of serenity  through my primal quest.

Venatôr

Offline achigan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 08:42:00 PM »
"That's why I say if everybody went to heaven
Hey-ey-ey, I believe I'd miss the call
But you see if it wasn't for bad luck,
Trying to tell you son if it wasn't for bad luck, now now
Oh, oh, I wouldn't have no luck at all"
Ray Charles
Read more: Ray Charles - If It Wasn't For Bad Luck Lyrics | MetroLyrics

I've been beaten twice here at home Keb, it's part of the game.... Good luck!
...because bow hunting always involves the same essentials. One hunter. One arrow. One animal. -Don Thomas

Offline Sawpilot 75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2013, 08:49:00 PM »
man! That's is some season.

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2013, 08:55:00 PM »
definately a season i with i had!!!  :thumbsup:
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2013, 09:01:00 PM »
Kill one or not..WOW, that's a successful season!

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2013, 09:09:00 PM »
I think You are a heck of a hunter to get that close to good deer on public land over and over again!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Keb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2013, 09:27:00 PM »
I try hard, very hard. I have spent years getting out of the bubble from the main stream locations and tactics.

I have come to this conclusion, every giant deer I have had a crack at or seen was in place that was ridiculous and pretty much void of trees.

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2013, 09:43:00 PM »
Originally posted by Cyclic-Rivers:
I think You are a heck of a hunter to get that close to good deer on public land over and over again!
X2! I wish I had the chance to have your kind of problems - with the deer - not the truck and keys locked. You can have that.

Good job getting near the big ones!
Todd Trahan
All of Creation Gives God Glory!

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2013, 10:08:00 PM »
I'm in the same boat guys. Wheezed in a great 5x5. Had an 8 yard shot and hit him in the shoulder? Not positive but for sure I got little penetration and only one lung. Tracked him for a long ways with a good tracking dog but came up empty handed. I have heard of more bad luck and bad shots this year than any other I can remember. My best buddy has had a string of bad luck that is almost too much to believe. It happens. Keep after them. The lows make the highs even better.

Online buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2013, 10:14:00 PM »
I feel your pain guys, blew a great shot at an awesome 5 by 5, hit him high, never recovered him. would have been my best buck yet. Since then have only seen small bucks and not even one shot at a doe. Also seems like every time I get a chance to hunt it is either raining or we have gale force winds and tornadoes. This just seems like a tough year for everyone for some reason. Hang in there guys like jon said once the bad luck streak ends the highs are so worth it!

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2013, 10:58:00 PM »
I missed a great seven point this morning. 20 yards right over his back. It's tough but it happens. I was feeling the same way this morning but after some kind words from friends I'm feeling much better. Stick with it and get back out there!
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline Chuck Janssen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2013, 11:29:00 PM »
Just feel fortunate to see those big guys in the woods. Many guys go a life time with never seeing one. But missing sucks.I missed my best ever this year by hairs also. Just could not beleive it happened.Sounds like I am in good company!!
Life at it's Longest is Short

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2013, 01:45:00 AM »
Three Fridays ago, the start of a week long hunt here in northern wisconsin, I had "the broken nine" at 18 yards broadside.  I've hunted this buck for two years never seeing him in person.  He's now a big symmetrical ten and one of the largest bodied bucks we've ever seen.  I'm at full draw out of a borrowed tent blind and at the last second realize that my arrow will clip the bottom of the tents window.  Instead of letting down I shrug myself up to clear the tent, lose focus and send my snuffer an inch over his back.
I verbally abused myself for the next six days.
Hang in there.  If you've never missed, you haven't hunted enough!
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline bowtough

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2013, 05:04:00 AM »
At least you guys are seeing deer here in south eastern Il I am pretty sure we lost about 70% of our mature deer herd to disease. Not seeing a deer for days and then it is only young immature deer. Pretty sad!   :(

Offline D. Key

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2013, 09:06:00 AM »
Sorry for your misses and close calls.  At least you are seeing deer.  Best of luck with the rest of the season for you.
"Pick-A-Spot"

Doug Key

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2013, 11:38:00 AM »
Keb, sounds like you are quite the hunter.  I'm impressed, keep at it you are clearly doing things right!

To give you some perspective, I didn't see even one deer from stand this year.   :(    This ain't easy, but it sure is fun!
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2013, 11:49:00 AM »
Wow, if you I put all the little racks I'm having in bow range together I wouldn't have one of these bruisers you fellows are encountering.

Good for you.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©