3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Southern IN deer  (Read 424 times)

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Southern IN deer
« on: September 11, 2007, 09:51:00 AM »
I didn't deer hunt last year due to a job change and shift change that has been difficult to get used to. I will be deer hunting this year and my ten year old son wants to hunt with me. I don't have the most productive hunting area not to mention I'm self taught and I'm sure that I am doing lots wrong. I would like for my son to have a memorable first year so that he will be more likely to continue hunting. Could anyone in the Scott, Clark, Switzerland, etc. county areas tell me if it would be worth our while to scout/hunt these counties? It seems to me with the bonus antlerless bag limit so high we would be more apt see deer and have more shot opportunities.
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Offline indianalongbowshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Southern IN deer
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2007, 10:12:00 AM »
My ex-brother in law used to hunt Switzerland county every year and killed alot of deer and seen tons of them, seems like there is still alot of deer there. Very steep hilly area so be prepared to due some hard dragging if they die in one of those big ole hollers..he loved going down there to hunt but the lady who owned the property passed away and the kids sold it.
dean/indianalongbowshooter

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2007, 10:45:00 AM »
The counties I mentioned and a few others have DNR properties. I've heard public land hunting can get kinda harry, but thought we might try it. Thanks for your input!
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline trapperDave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007, 10:58:00 AM »
check ahead, several southern counties are experiancing an EHD (bluetongue) outbreak this year. Visit us at  www.hoosierhunting.com  for more specifics on it.

Offline trapperDave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2007, 11:42:00 AM »

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2007, 11:58:00 AM »
There is so much public ground down there that you CAN get away from the crowds.  I'm doing a hunt in October:   Southern Indiana Bowhunt  I can't promise a deer but I do promise some fun.

Where do you live and hunt?  You know there is a special youth hunt at the end of the month don't you?
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline John Nail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2007, 02:11:00 PM »
Scott County: Take a close look at the SW side of Hardy Lake--Public ground. You can camp close and the last time I was down there I saw a lot of deer.
Is it too late to be what I could have been?

Offline DarkeGreen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2007, 02:31:00 PM »
What county do you live in?

If you're close to me I can tell you about a draw hunt that almost no one knows about. They mostly want you to shoot does but will let you shoot one buck. It's in a zone that would allow two bucks so you could take another one somewhere else, which I may be able to help with too. They have been limmiting bucks on this draw for years so you may see more bucks than does.

You can't send in your application, it's a pick up and drop off deal. I don't know if you'll get drawn but chances are good. It's a word of mouth only deal. I've lived here 20 plus years before i found out about it!

A buddy of mine hunted this draw last year and had deer everywhere around him and took both a buck and a doe. I was drawn but already promised a hunt somewhere else with another guy. Several deer there too and a couple nice bucks. It's public land but it is not on any maps. There are three of these areas close to where I work.

Offline DarkeGreen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2007, 03:40:00 PM »
Sorry about this but after 4 recent events on this site I need to pull my extended offer. The last today but it just put me over the edge.

Offline Marblesonac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2007, 03:42:00 PM »
If your son actually wants to "SHOOT", he has to complete a hunters ed class.  

Congrats on taking him along, it sounds like some real quality time.
Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes....

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2007, 04:19:00 PM »
I live in Grant Co., east central Indiana. The property I hunt is next door but the three small boys in the family run around there like indians. It's great they have a plce like that to grow up in, but it wrecks havoc on my deer hunting. Or maybe it's just me! Lots of competion for hunting spots around here too! I drove down to Scott co. a couple of summers ago and as I recall it took me about an hour and a half. I've hunted for about eight years and have taken two shots at deer on my hunting grounds. No deer taken. I went to Tennessee one year and hunted with Brenda Valentine of Bass Pro Shopss and took five shots. No deer. Aquired buck fever. Never saw so many deer before! Have hunted wild turkey in my area reservior. No shots taken. Have hunted exclusively trad bow. Hunted by invitation with a friend I met at Brenda's at her home in Kentucky. One shot taken, one deer taken. The one in my photo. The largest taken off thier property and I was the only non-family to have ever hunted there. Have kept in contact and no apparent hard feels, but have not been invited back.  :biglaugh:  My son takes his hunters ed. on the 22nd and I'm hoping he can hunt on the 29th & 30th youth hunt. I'm trying to teach him right and hopfully it will be more exciting knowing he can take a shot if it feels right. I held out for a long time that he shoot trad also but broke down and got him a wheelie bow. Decided training wheels weren't a bad idea for a ten year old!
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline trapperDave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2007, 09:51:00 AM »
you can always go online and he can take the test that way, frees up that preciuos weekend for other stuff  :D

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2007, 09:54:00 AM »
You have to be 12 years old to take the online course.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2007, 02:11:00 PM »
Thanks to all who have replied! We will try to make the hunt on Oct. 26-30 that John is putting together. Drove down to Scott Co. yesterday. It took me 3 hrs. Twice as long as had remembered! Got a property map and I'm formulating a plan to camp at Wooster primitve camp grounds near where the hunting area starts. Plan to go back with more time to do some scoutting.
I'm getting excited!!!
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2007, 02:14:00 PM »
DarkeGreen! You had my hopes up for some really good hunt options there! But I understand. One can only do so much! You might keep us in mind for another time though!
TGMM Family of The Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©