3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: choosing a ground blind  (Read 522 times)

Offline beaunaro

• Trad Bowhunter
choosing a ground blind
« on: November 19, 2013, 01:35:00 PM »
Jim and I are trying to decide on a ground blind to add to our arsenal for use in our hog and turkey hunting operation, True south Adventures, in South Florida.

They are really handy to aid in scent control for swirling winds or if it's raining, and we have several clients who come with their wives or kids.

Filmimg is much easier too.

We're building a permanent blind , but portables have their place too.

We have been disappointed in the durability of most blinds due to the thin material used. I love the heavy cordura in the Double Bull Dark Horse, but just wish they were a little taller for trad bow use.

So, after some more research, we are looking at either the Hidden Hunter 6' model or the Lucky's Texas Special which is 7' 4" x 5' 8" high.

I see that Lucky's uses 600 denier fabric. I can't tell from the websites what the fabric is on the HH. One testimonial on the Lucky's site says that a fellow has had his blind up and in the woods for ten continual years and the fabric is still intact and useable.

I'm going to ask four questions.
Does anyone have any experience with either of these blinds?
What are your comments about the one you have?
How does the fabric compare to the Double Bull?
I know Ron LaClair is a tradgang source of HH...can I buy the Lucky's from one of our vendors here?

Thank you for your help.
Irv Eichorst

Offline Florida lime

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: choosing a ground blind
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 04:35:00 PM »
No advice, but I'm all ears.

That portable by the field really fell apart from when I was there this summer to when I was there in October.
Martin-Hunter & Bamboo Viper, Black Widow Camo PLX, Holm-made Osprey, Toelke-SS #5 & Super D, Brackenbury Drifter, Wes Wallace Mentor, Kimber Huntsman,  Rose Oak-Wildcat II, Ocelot, Ace & 2 Heritage TDs, Bear-'67½  SK & '59 Kodiak Special - all LH

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 05:26:00 PM »
dropped you a pm

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 05:26:00 PM »
The guys at Hidden Hunter said they tried 600 dinier but it was too stiff and didn't fold well, also it was hard to get the shine off. The Material used in the Hidden Hunter is a blend that is sanded and it's called Tuf-Tec II.

I think the Predator Green would be a great choice for south Florida.

This is the new 5.5' in the Predator Green, it has  screens in a couple of the windows. It comes in the 6' also.

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline meathead

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 05:34:00 PM »
I haven't used Lucky's but have used the HH for 3 or 4 years now.  Great blind.  Extremely durable, plenty of room.

Offline rbcorbitt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 06:07:00 PM »
Really like my HH 6' that I bought in the St. Jude's auction.  Deer don't pay a bit of attention to it.  Been set up now for nearly 3 months continuously - holding up great!
"I would rather be amongst forest animals and the sounds of nature, then amongst city traffic and the noise of man" - A.D. Williams

Offline Florida lime

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 08:36:00 PM »
"Really like my HH 6' that I bought in the St. Jude's auction."

I would have really liked it too if someone hadn't outbid me 5 seconds before the auction closed.   :biglaugh:
Martin-Hunter & Bamboo Viper, Black Widow Camo PLX, Holm-made Osprey, Toelke-SS #5 & Super D, Brackenbury Drifter, Wes Wallace Mentor, Kimber Huntsman,  Rose Oak-Wildcat II, Ocelot, Ace & 2 Heritage TDs, Bear-'67½  SK & '59 Kodiak Special - all LH

Offline beaunaro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2013, 09:27:00 PM »
That predator Green is a sharp looking blind.
We might just have to order one and try it out.
Irv Eichorst

Offline waiting4fall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2013, 09:50:00 PM »
Might want to consider making a natural ground blind.

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2013, 10:20:00 PM »
Have owned four Double Bulls and the last one a "Matrix' has easily been on over 150 hunts and is going strong. My trad hunting buddy 'Shed Hunter' owns it now. Currently have a Dark Horse and like the Matrix, a Waldrop Seat permits me to comfortably hunt with 62" bow as I did all last year and this spring season. The blind has ample room for a 60"r when utilizing the Waldrop Seat.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Slickhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2013, 05:39:00 AM »
Manufactured ground blinds are like tree stands to me now.
Too much work involved.
If I can set it and leave then I like it.
Also I like the natural blinds (downed trees the best)
However if you choose one make sure its tall emough.
Big Mike has one as well as the others mentioned.
RL is a class act and wouldnt steer you wrong.
Slickhead

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2013, 09:09:00 AM »
Hey Irv, I've only hunted out of this once, but it has plenty of room, esp for a longbow  
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2013, 09:17:00 AM »
I personally own a Premos, Preditor Den and love it.  I've shot plenty of Turks out of it, and you can get one for under $150.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2013, 09:29:00 AM »
Natural ground blinds don't help with scent, keeping kids under cover, keeping the bugs out or other things I think he is looking for and I would be looking for if hunting with my family in Florida.

I have the big mike also and love it, but not sure the fabric is what he is asking for in quality.  I did hear they changed it for this year.  Mine is last years.  I am getting at least one more if not two more.  I have had mine up all year and it is doing fine including surviving the 60 mile winds that came through this last weekend.  I was sure it would be gone or damaged, but it was fine.

I want to check out the HH next time I get a chance.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2013, 10:01:00 AM »
Really like my Gorilla. It has heavier cloth and it very easy to pop up and down.

http://gorillablinds.com/cms/content/blinds
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline medicineman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2013, 10:38:00 AM »
Have you looked at Primos  "recurve model",  it's taller.  My Primos blinds stay out for long periods without problems .  I don't consider them to be very portable though .
TGMM--Family of the Bow-

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©