3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: push pull method on recurve bow question  (Read 1043 times)

Offline Rick Moss

• Trad Bowhunter
push pull method on recurve bow question
« on: November 19, 2013, 01:45:00 PM »
I was just on another post and read a comment thanking the bowyer for confirming that the push pull method would not hurt that recurve, I did not want to hijack his thread by asking there, so...my question is this, I have a tall tines as im sure a lot of you have read at some point....sorry, im a little excited, lol...and I shoot my compound with the push pull method and was planning on using the same type of method with this bow....
so, what way could you hurt a recurve using this method, by maybe twisting the limbs or something?
and how would I know if I am okay using this method....? thanks in advance

Offline Bullfrog 1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: push pull method on recurve bow question
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 02:02:00 PM »
You mean drawing the bow or stringing it?

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 02:03:00 PM »
Rick,

The "push/pull" method of shooting, ie; pushing with the bow hand and pulling with the string hand when drawing the bow, should not hurt a bow, however, if you are referring to the "push/pull" method of stringing a bow, then you can easily twist a limb on a recurve doing this,not to mention you could loose control of the bow and hurt yourself, always use a stringer to string a recurve bow.
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 02:03:00 PM »
Probably he was referring to the method of stringing called push-pull where you brace the bottom limb tip against your instep and push the top limb away from you while sliding the string into the string groove.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 02:14:00 PM »
Using a stringer is much safer with a recurve.  

I have seen more than one person have the string slip and get a nasty slap upside the head with the bow tip.  There are even stories of eyes being lost using this method.  If you must use this method, just make sure your head is turned to the side (or wear a football helmet).
Lon Scott

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 03:05:00 PM »
I think he is talking about shooting the bow NOT stringing it.  You can't STRING a C bow with the "push pull" -- he mentions shooting that way with the C bow in the OP.

I personally am not a fan of the "push/pull" technique of shooting trad bows!  BUT, at the same time, there is no reason using that technique will hurt the bow.

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 03:06:00 PM »
I've never heard of the push pull method hurting the bow, but the cautions above should be heeded regarding possible injuries to the person stringing it. Mostly I've heard that the step through method might damage the bow, but seems pretty safe for the person stringing it.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Rick Moss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2013, 07:27:00 PM »
ok, I see. I was referring to shooting. Dave gave me a stringer, and I will always use it to string my bow. my dumb luck I would break the bow AND hurt myself! lol. I think it is easier to achieve proper back tension using push pull method, not sure yet how it will work with traditional gear, but I am a pretty quick study, especially with archery gear, and I am pretty adaptable, so I am sure I will figure out a good method, and I have a pretty great group of guys to help me and enjoy the journey with  ;)

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2013, 10:04:00 PM »
Push pull method is often misunderstood, Asbell has a good description of his definition and is worth a read in his instinctive shooting series. Keep that bow arm rigid..

Offline Dan Bonner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2013, 08:35:00 AM »
Well if you are talking about shooting it, I have no idea what that even means. I figure we all push and pull to shoot a bow so it shouldn't hurt, right? If you are talking about stringing the bow this is something I know about. I string every bow I own as well as every bow I build this way. It is safe, quick and easy.  Just watch someone who knows how to do it and do what they do. Twisting the limbs is highly unlikely.

Bonner

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2013, 08:46:00 AM »
Originally posted by Overspined:
Push pull method is often misunderstood, Asbell has a good description of his definition and is worth a read in his instinctive shooting series. Keep that bow arm rigid..
G. Fred gives the best description of push pull around. He knows a little bit about shooting trad bows.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2013, 11:51:00 AM »
Use a good quality bowstringer and save yourself from possibly losing an eye if you screw it up.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2013, 09:18:00 PM »
Rick - Send me your address, and I will send you a copy of G Fred Asbells latest book on the subject. He prescribes and describes the push pull method very well.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2013, 09:33:00 PM »
I agree, I think we all push pull to some extent on the draw.  Me I like to engage as many muscles as I can, I think the point is, like Asbell describes, not to just lock your bow arm and pull it all with your string hand side.  I think I shoot using a swing draw - push pull kinda style.  Do what works for you to get the arrows to hit where they need to hit.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2013, 07:16:00 AM »
"Me I like to engage as many muscles as I can, I think the point is, like Asbell describes, not to just lock your bow arm and pull it all with your string hand side."

Bingo!
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2013, 07:39:00 AM »
I think the original poster might have been confused and possibly misunderstood the other thread he did not want to hijack.

Push/pull for stringing a recurve? Can hurt it and is not the best way. Use a stringer.

Push/pull for shooting a recurve? Cannot hurt the bow. The bow has no idea how you're pulling the string back to anchor. It just adds weight to the draw the farther the string and riser separate. If you held the string at anchor and pushed out the bow hand to full draw the bow feels no difference.

For you the shooter, it depends on what works for you in the push/pull method and the style you prefer.

I may have misunderstood the OP, but I think this is what he was asking.....
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Rick Moss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2013, 02:13:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bud B.:
I think the original poster might have been confused and possibly misunderstood the other thread he did not want to hijack.

Push/pull for stringing a recurve? Can hurt it and is not the best way. Use a stringer.

Push/pull for shooting a recurve? Cannot hurt the bow. The bow has no idea how you're pulling the string back to anchor. It just adds weight to the draw the farther the string and riser separate. If you held the string at anchor and pushed out the bow hand to full draw the bow feels no difference.

For you the shooter, it depends on what works for you in the push/pull method and the style you prefer.

I may have misunderstood the OP, but I think this is what he was asking.....
yep, I was referring to shooting the bow, not stringing it. dave gave me a stringer and I will always use it to string my bow. I am taking a lot of the stuff I learned in 26 plus years of compound shooting and applying it to my recurve. I realize there is a ton different, and they are two different animals, but there are a few things that I can bring over from compound shooting and apply it to my traditional shooting. Thanks guys.

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2013, 03:02:00 PM »
I practice sometimes using a complete push and then pull just the last couple of inches. It is a shot that I have used when in really tight cover. I do it with heavy longbows.  It tried the all push with a lighter recurve and found that the grip angle made an awkward angle at the beginning of the push. Will it twist the bow? Very little if at all. The advantage of a trad bow over a compound is that one can use a number of different draws to fit the situation. That said, I think pushing the bow some at the target is always a good thing.  As a standard shot something with a part swing and part push or spread draw may be a bit more fluid than a flat spread or push/pull.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2013, 04:41:00 PM »
I push/pull or straight arm the bow arm and draw the string arm back. It all depends on the shot taken. And the push/pull is while bringing the arms upward to eye level. I have taken shots through brush and to make sure the arrow gets through the small window I stiff arm the bow arm and draw the string arm back. Both have their place. But Push/pull mostly though.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2013, 05:26:00 PM »
Dan Quillian used the push-pull method and demonstrated it in his video. No way you can hurt the bow doing it. Dan coached many championship archers.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©