3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: tree stand harness  (Read 1320 times)

Offline edge2009

• Trad Bowhunter
tree stand harness
« on: November 20, 2013, 09:43:00 AM »
Hey guys,

I have a muddy harness which I try to use all the time. My problem is I can't ever get the safety strap for the tree tied right. Even when I do, I always forget from one season to the next. Before my muddy I had a hunter safety system, if anyone remembers the tree strap for it, it was a simple webbing/belt with a ttension buckle. Does anyone have one they don't use anymore or would like to get rid of?

I'd be willing to pay for it

Thanks
Jake Edge

Kanati 43# @ 28"

Offline bigb3303

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: tree stand harness
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 12:24:00 PM »
I have some of the ones that come with summit stands, It just wraps around the tree, and has a pre tied slip that gets tight if you fall, just clips onto a safty harness, would this work for you?

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 12:48:00 PM »
My muddy came with a belt that easy. And I sometimes use the line and rope. The rope it a pain to get snugged up but the belt is pretty easy.
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline edge2009

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 12:58:00 PM »
Bigb that's exactly what I'm talking about, ill post a pic to double check.

Redshaft, that's what ive been using is the linesman belt ( which is the black rope with a prussics knot) and I can't ever get the thing tight enough to stay put, it just falls on my head.
Jake Edge

Kanati 43# @ 28"

Offline edge2009

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 01:00:00 PM »
Jake Edge

Kanati 43# @ 28"

Offline agtex42

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 01:04:00 PM »
Have you considered buying one of those pre-made prusik knot safety straps?  I've got one from Hunter Safety Systems, and it ships with all the knots already in it.  I tried using the belt straps before and would never consider going back to one after using the rope style strap.  The knots can be a pain to tie, but I've never had a reason to undo any of the straps I've bought (or built) once I had them together.  

That being said, I have a handful of the belt style straps laying around the house.  Just pm me your address and I'll send them your way if you'd like!

Offline bigb3303

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2013, 01:08:00 PM »
Mine is similar, but is a rope, with the knot already tied, just clip your carabiener on. IF you want it its yours buddy , completly free.

Offline edge2009

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2013, 01:09:00 PM »
Agtex, that's funny. I have to be doing something wrong then... Im no professional with knots, but have no issue constructing a prussic or what's needed to imitate the one I have. Its tieing it to the tree where I become ignorant! Lol.

I've tried running it through once and using a overhand and underhand knot to tie it in and it just loosens up. Only way I can get it to stay is running the tag end through twice, but that requires a unusual small tree.
Jake Edge

Kanati 43# @ 28"

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2013, 02:51:00 PM »
so you are using the rope? The rope is tough.  Check out the fella on her that has the podcast n videos that's from Michigan.  he uses a climbing hook type thing that does same thing basically but better. Ropeman ascender unit. It's look really nice
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2013, 03:11:00 PM »
Go to Lone Wolf tree stand web site and see video on how they do it.  I use their system for the rope that goes around the tree,  you can then clip in any type of harness to the caribiner.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline Keith Langford

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2013, 04:24:00 PM »
You take the tag end with the prussic knot around the tree, slip it through the loop, pull the prussic knot up tight against the loop, I usually just take the excess tag end and wrap it around the tree again and run it back through itself. But the tag end excess does not really matter. Hope this helps and this is a HSS rope style with the carribiner and prussic for the safety strap, I think HSS shows how to use their products on their websiote
John 3:16

Offline DarkTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2013, 04:44:00 PM »
Originally posted by Burnsie:
Go to Lone Wolf tree stand web site and see video on how they do it.  I use their system for the rope that goes around the tree,  you can then clip in any type of harness to the caribiner.
I do it this way as well.  I started using the Lone Wolf rope before I got my Muddy Harness but now use the Muddy rope the exact same way.  Works great and you can adjust the length depending on how high the rope is wrapped around the tree above you.

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2013, 05:10:00 PM »
I have a strap I can send to you. PM me if you want it.

Daryl
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2013, 05:33:00 PM »

Here is my homemade tree rope. The tree goes into the loop. the prussic tightens the whole thing up in a second.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline edge2009

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2013, 07:23:00 PM »
I appreciate all the offers guys but after listening to your suggestions, I'm devoted to figuring out what I'm doing wrong. If I can't for the life of me figure it out, ill hit one of you up for one. Bare with me folks, I'm going to do some research and practice...
Jake Edge

Kanati 43# @ 28"

Online buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2013, 07:31:00 PM »
The ropes are the way to go! much faster and I also feel safer with it compared to the strap styles. I bought mine for about 15 bucks at dicks sporting goods.

Offline Steve Kendrot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2013, 06:26:00 AM »
I use the muddy harness with the lone wolf rope. The rope should have a small loop on one end, with a big loop on the other, with a prussick knot in between. Slide the prussick knot all the way to the small loop and put the carabiner on the small loop. Then clip the prussick onto the carabiner. Leave the carabiner on the rope rather than on your harness. To affix to the tree, wrap the rope once around the tree and thread the carabiner end through he big loop and then attach it to your harness. When at your desired height, stand facing the tree and cinch the rope around the tree at head height. Slide the prussick knot up tight to the big loop against the tree so it is tight to keep the rope from sliding down the tree.  For me, this allows just enough slack to sit down. Placement on tree relative to your height may vary. Attach the rope to the tree at the base and move it up or down while you climb or descend so you are always protected. Again, leave the carabiner on the rope so you don't have to remember how it's set up every time!! To make sure it doesn't get left in the truck, I clip it on the harness for transport and storage. Just fold the rope in half twice, and tie the whole thing in an overhand knot. I hang it over my right shoulder when walking so it doesn't get in the way of my draw when I shoot. That's how I do it!

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2013, 10:30:00 AM »
Why not just attach the carbiner to the loop formed by the prussic knot and put the prussic/carbiner through the big loop, slide the prussic tight against the big loop, and tight around the tree, attach to the harness back loop and be done with it.  

Any excess rope, put the end with knot or loop between the tree and rope before snugging it down.  That way it's out of the way of your bow limbs.

SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline Fallguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2013, 09:41:00 PM »
"In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught" Baba Dioum  Conservationist

Offline edge2009

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2013, 09:39:00 PM »
Thanks for every ones help. I think I got it figured out. I tried pushing the prussics all the way up and self locking the loop, I wasn't 100% sold, but it did seem much better. Thanks for all the help and offers guys .
Jake Edge

Kanati 43# @ 28"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©