3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Dogs for recovering wounded game  (Read 2758 times)

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Dogs for recovering wounded game
« on: November 20, 2013, 10:05:00 PM »
This is a topic I like to bump to the top each year after reading of the heart ache some people express after loosing a big game animal.  It is worth a read by all of us.... Call a dog folks, if legal, every time you lose that trail.

I realize that this is a topic that has been mentioned on here in the past no doubt but I think it important to bring forth every year for folks that may not think of this solution to recovering a wounded game animal.

The use of a highly trained blood dog can dramatically increase your chances of recovering a wounded big game animal. There are some very serious misconceptions about what is possible with these dogs so to prevent me from reinventing the wheel I will quote a very well respected blood dog tracker from Georgia. Ken Parker sums up the process like this:

"Mistakes hunters make before calling in a tracking dog.
These are things that I have run into over the last few years. This is not an all inclusive list of mistakes as I am sure I will continue to see new things the more I track.

The most common mistake is that hunters walk down the middle of the blood trail. Then when they get to were the blood runs out they start walking all over the place. This transfers blood from their boots to places the deer did not go. When the dog gets there to track and gets to this point on the trail they have to spend a lot of time unraveling this false blood trail that is now laid out. There is not a good solution other than to try to be careful and walk to the side of the trail were possibly.

Mistake number 2 is that the hunter does not visually or physically mark where the deer was standing when they shot. This point can be very important to a tracker in that a lot of information can be gained by looking at the color of hair at the hit site along with any bone that might be there.

Mistake 3 is that they do not know who their neighbors are or how to get in contact with them in case the deer travels across property lines. In many states it is illegal to cross property lines without permission even to track a wounded deer. A solution is to go ahead and make arrangements with your neighbors ahead of time just in case. This will help when late at night you come to a property line and you are trying to find out who owns the property. You will be very disappointed when the tracker and his dog call it quits, so get permission ahead of time.

Mistake 4 is not being prepared for tracking at night. A pen light works fine for walking into the woods but when you need to see the minutest sign you need a very good bright light. Bring several good lights just in case your batteries die or a bulb blows.

Mistake 5, not marking their progress along the track to the point of loss. Marking the trail helps the tracker to see that their dog is following the right blood trail to the point of loss. If the blood trail is very light the handler may not see any blood as they will be watching their dog’s reaction. By marking the last spot of blood the handler will know that at that point there might be a lot of false trails, see mistake #1Mistake 6 pushing the deer. If the deer travels out of site after the shot give it 30 to 45 minutes. As soon as you start tracking and see that the animal may travel a great distance or that it is a poor shot back out and give it at least 4 hrs if the temperature will allow and you are not worried about coyotes. If there are signs of a gut shot wait 6 to 8 hrs before begining to track again. Most mortally wounded deer will try to lie down within 200-300 yards. But if pushed out of the bed can travel great distance before expiring .

Misconceptions about Tracking"

It’s been raining, so a dog won’t be useful." Actually, a light rain helps to hold the scent. Some dogs are even able to track after heavy rains.

“I’ve waited too long.” It is always better to call as soon as possible, but, if you can not get a tracking dog for 12 hours or more, don’t worry. A lot of people think that a dog is only good if the track is under a few hours old. However, a well-trained dog will be able to follow a scent trail 20 to even 40 hours old, even if other deer or wildlife has traveled the same trail. The meat may not be any good, if the weather is hot or the coyotes might have gotten to it, but, if you want to recover your trophy, do not be afraid to call in a quality tracking dog.

Another misconception is that "a tracking dog will always find” the animal. A tracking dog greatly increases your chances of finding a wounded animal, but it is by no means a guarantee. Many deer survive what hunters think to be a kill shot. But, let’s not forget … dogs can have bad days too, just like people do.

The art of working a tracking dog has come a long way from just turning out the best tracking deer dog to the highly specialized tracking dogs of today. Do not be afraid to contact a person from the tracking dog list ahead of time to ask questions. It might save you some time when you are in need of a tracker the most. Happy hunting to all and good luck to all the trackers during the next season."

End quote.

There are some great in-state organizations that have blood dog handlers for your area and you can always go to unitedbloodtrackers.org and click on the "find a tracker" tab.
It is very important to remember that many of these dogs can track cold lines of 24-36 hours old. I ran blood dogs for years and "very little sign" after the shot is often used to gauge the lethality of the wound when often means nothing at all. Countless times I have tracked deer with little more than a drop or two of blood (some times none) over a half mile or more to find them very dead in their beds. Without a dog, recovery would have been impossible and undoubtedly we would have assumed that the deer would recover. We all like to think of ourselves as super trackers but a trained recovery dog does not need blood to recover a wounded animal, we do.  If nothing more, the use of a quality blood dog is giving it every possible effort at recovery and will put your mind at ease that the animal has a good chance at recovery. We owe it to the resource.

Spend the time to find out what the blood dog resources are in your state and have their numbers stored for the time when you really need some help.

On a personal note, I use a network of trackers in both Georgia for deer and hogs and in Canada for bear. I am excited to be getting my first blood dog in a few weeks after not having one for quite some time. My choice is a teckel. I have used them in my bear camp with a cold blood trail of 30 hours with great success. I was sold on them.

Good luck to everyone.

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Dogs for recovering wounded game
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 10:49:00 PM »
My beagle pup tracked  a gut shot deer of mine last year. I would have never ever found that deer if I did not decide to bring him. I did learn to allow him  time to gather information at the site of the kill. And  to trust that nose several times we thought he was off the track and pulled him off. Only to find out in the end he was right all the long.

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 11:49:00 PM »
mr fingers- did your dog have any training.

any help on working with scent dogs.
i have had extensive experience working with a variety of herding dogs( heelers, huntaways, catahoulas and kelpies)-dogs that i have broke in and run as cow dogs. but not had much to do with trailing dogs. i have a pair of 5 year old kelpies now, since i left the ranch. wanted some guidance to maybe get them to do some trailing.
did a little last summer in the yard with them, but could really use some guidance.

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 11:51:00 PM »
It's an awesome experience getting to watch a good blood dog do his thing.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 03:03:00 AM »
I have been lucky to have had dogs available for some really tough hog recoveries; Catahoulas mostly, and they have been outstanding.
Training is the wrong word in my mind……………you don't train them. You may think you are the 'trainer' but mostly you need to  get out of their way and let them do what they were bred to do.

Online DWT

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 06:03:00 AM »
I know two fellas with blood dogs, one is a dachshund at about 6 lbs and the other is a bloodhound at about 70lbs so different ends of the spectrum. I do know that the bloodhound is a ground eating machine and you will be dug in heels deep the whole time but he is about as sure a thing as ive seen on wounded game. the dachshund is way easier to control oviously and aint no slouch in the tracking department.

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2013, 06:07:00 AM »
Anyone use Jack Russells or heard of Jacks being used?  I hard they use them in Africa to go into the bush for wounded game.

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2013, 07:47:00 AM »
For anyone interested in learning about training a blood dog, consider the book Tracking Dogs for Finding Wounded Deer. This is generally considered to be the best reference book ever written on training a quality blood tracking dog.
Watching a trained blood dog work a 30 hour old line  is much like watching a Bushman tracker for the first time. It is difficult to put your experiences and skill aside and believe what they are doing is even possible.

Online non-typical

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2013, 08:04:00 AM »
Great post Jerry.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Tradgang member #160

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2013, 08:20:00 AM »
GREAT post, Jerry!  

The guy you quote mirrors our experience with hunters on cold calls exactly.

The biggest problems we face are:

1. Extremely disturbed tracks - as the guy talks about in your quote

2. Hunters that don't mark the track - we have spent up to 45 minutes looking for the blood trail the hunters tracked but didn't mark - talk about messing up a track!

3.  Hunters that don't know their own hunting area - I had to buy a GPS because we have tracked for hunters that continually get lost on areas as small at 40 acres

4.  THE WORST MISTAKE - hunters that follow up too early and jump the deer.  You cut your odds of recovery at least in half by making this mistake.  Amazing how outfitters, guys with lots of experience etc will CONTINUALLY make this mistake.

We run into people all the time that expect the dog to work miracles - find deer jumped multiple times on very disturbed tracks - find deer that aren't even fatally wounded!!!  I love my dog, but he can't make your high shoulder or "through the top of the back" shot into a fatal hit!

Boy, we could tell stories about hunters....heck there is an outfitter, and an experienced QDM guy with lots of years hunting and managing whitetails, on another forum asking for help for one of his clients on a buck they shot last SATURDAY, and jumped multiple times.  Again, I love my dog, but come on....5/6 days later?  Wait for a snow and follow coyote tracks to that one.

I guess my final thoughts on this one are that you should keep in mind too that the difference between a dog from good hunting/tracking bloodlines that is properly trained vs. just "a dog" is like the difference between a prime NFL quarterback and some guy that plays football with his buddies on the weekend.  "A dog" can find a deer, and may develop eventually into a good tracker, the well trained dog from good bloodlines will really shine on the tough tracks.

R

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2013, 09:00:00 AM »
Our Dratharr found a deer for me. She had no training. Good post!
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Online Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2013, 09:08:00 AM »
I know Mike palmer uses his Jack Russell to track wounded deer in texas. A hog guide I know always uses his jack russell to track wounded hogs with great results.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2013, 09:12:00 AM »
The Colorado Parks and Wildlife would much rather you lose the animal then using a dog, even if leashed, to find it.
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Offline Dannon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2013, 09:30:00 AM »
I have a four year old female Bloodhound and I love putting her on a blood trail. She found my wifes bow kill two years ago in a NASTY cut over. They can be very useful tools when it comes to putting every effort into finding a shot animal.

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2013, 10:18:00 AM »
yupX2 on the approach to "training"-i have worked and "trained all of my own dogs- the basics are there- the dog does it naturally- its traing to get the compliance to achieve complicated manouvers with stock dogs.

my dilemma now, is that i have my stock dogs, as i have quit cowboying, and want to "retrain "my dags to work as trail dogs- their instinct is there to track- obviously- its to get them to do it when i want them to do it- and to understand wnat i am needing them to do!!.
these are top quality dogs, they would interract/work with 6 000( yup six thousand) head of cattle every day, all year round, when i was working in the cattle industry in alberta-

so you can imagine the experience and the quality of their work!!!- these were not just ride along companions- they collected, cut sick ones out- dealt with runaways etc etc

so i think i am gonna try and get hold of that book- will be an excellent place to start.

thanks all!!

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2013, 10:24:00 AM »
All good info here!

Bisch

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2013, 12:52:00 PM »
Thanks for the info guys. I have never used a tracking dog before.
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2013, 01:07:00 PM »
Fascinating thread.  My current dogs are just companion animals and getting old.  When they go I may need to get a Dachshund.  My wife has always wanted one  :D
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline hickstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2013, 01:37:00 PM »
illegal in MA.   "DURING ARCHERY DEER SEASON archers shall not possess firearms on their person or use dogs."

"During shotgun deer season ...The possession of rifles, handguns, or dogs in any woodland or field, or use of same on any game, is prohibited during the shotgun deer season except that the use of dogs is lawful for hunting waterfowl on coastal waters."
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2013, 07:16:00 PM »
Great Points, things the average guy wouldnt think about.

Thanks for sharing.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©