3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Dogs for recovering wounded game  (Read 2763 times)

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Dogs for recovering wounded game
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2013, 08:01:00 PM »
Originally posted by fujimo:
mr fingers- did your dog have any training.

any help on working with scent dogs.
i have had extensive experience working with a variety of herding dogs( heelers, huntaways, catahoulas and kelpies)-dogs that i have broke in and run as cow dogs. but not had much to do with trailing dogs. i have a pair of 5 year old kelpies now, since i left the ranch. wanted some guidance to maybe get them to do some trailing.
did a little last summer in the yard with them, but could really use some guidance.
Nope no training
He wasn't even a full year old yet. I think that's why we didn't trust him fully because he was young and no training. That and he is a beagle they live by there nose. Rabbits , squirrels,other dogs, and especially deer. He can get on a fresh track really easy and it impossible to get him off. More,so than a rabbit or other dog. I end up picking him up a carrying him home. As far as blood training he knows what a dead deer smells like and he knows what one hanging in the garage smells like and even tastes like. So he has a good knowledge what he is looking for.
Luv my beagle   :cool:

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2013, 08:08:00 PM »
I just ordered the book on training dogs to track deer, and I have a very eager beagle pup who is going to get his chance. This could be a lot of fun.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2013, 08:13:00 PM »
I wanted a wire hair dauchound  for years but they are hard to find. You would think there was more breeders with the German lines.
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline robertson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2013, 05:14:00 AM »
Great great post there

We used them a lot in europe .

Very useful and you can used any dog for that

If possible start the training as soon as possible .

I had a labrador that i stared to train at 2 months old .

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2013, 07:24:00 AM »
Originally posted by The Night Stalker:
I wanted a wire hair dauchound  for years but they are hard to find. You would think there was more breeders with the German lines.
Tell me about it. I have been involved in the search for a well bred dachshund over a year. There are several great breeds out there but this dog was chosen for the small size. He will pretty much live with me in my truck traveling to my Canada bear camp and deer/hog camps.

For those interested in getting one of a well bred tracking dogs out of strong working lines, you will need to do some serious homework and know that you have to get on a wait list to get a pup. I would do it now as there are just a small handful of breeders in all of the US and Canada. Be prepared to go through a process akin to adopting a human baby, lol. Most breeder will only breed in the spring.

A little clarification here... Many dogs can be used as tracking dogs where you are talking about running a hot line of less than 4-6 hours old. For most folks that is more than enough. In these cases the scent is hot, there has been little confusing scent laid down by other animals in that time so the dogs has many fewer problems to work through. If your dog will be used solely by you and a close circle of friends, most dogs with a decent nose and a little training will be fine.

Every dog, however, would benefit from training. Sooner or later you will be faced with some greater level of difficulty than just going from point A to point B. A deer with no blood on the ground, non-targeted deer, rabbit, squirrels crossing the line in front of you, streams/lakes, open fields and roads are just a few of the many distractions. Training at this point will often make the difference between success and failure for you. Besides, it is fun! Just save a few deer legs (with the tarsal gland) and some blood from this season and you are set for training for the year. One of the most important aspects of training is learning to read your dog. Knowing when he is on the right track vs just investigating another deer track is something that can only be learned by the tracking team (you and him) training together.

When you move on to complex tracking situations such as cold lines of 30-40 hours, dry and windy days and working through and area where 5 rutting bucks have chased a doe around in circles for 2 hours, etc., that is where these dogs bred for this purpose will do what is nearly impossible.

Again, the book "Tracking dogs for finding wounded deer" will take you to a new level of understanding about every aspect of choosing a dog, training him correctly and most importantly understanding the complexities of scent as it relates to the dog.

I could write about this subject for days. If you know me, you know I write a great deal on the subject of string trackers and their value in the recovery of wounded big game and turkey. The loss of any animal just about crushes me. I can honestly say that given the choice between having 25 well trained human blood trackers and a single well trained blood dog on the trail of a wounded buck, I will take the dog every time.

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2013, 07:58:00 AM »
Jerry, you have a PM regarding a breeder.

R

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2013, 08:04:00 AM »
Did not come through Ryan, Send it via email to [email protected]

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2013, 08:15:00 AM »
Jerry, sorry, I wrote it after my post - check again...just sent.

R

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2013, 10:03:00 AM »
There is a very active group of guys in Maryland that take there blood tracking serious.  I think they would argue the statement that there is no training involved.  Making sure the dog tracks your deer and not fox, rabbits, or what ever he smells is a chore.  Running blood tracks over the weekends and making they are more complicted each time is work.  Learning to read the dog is training in itself for the handler.  If you evr get a chance to watch a really good dog it is amazing.
T ZZZZ

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2013, 10:36:00 AM »
i have been using dogs for blood trailing for years using mostly NAVHDA and similar training and guidance....first with a kurzhaar and soon will be training a drahthaar.  If you use a methodical and consistent approach you will have success if dog has any desire whatsoever...

I added a special collar/leash combination so mine would know it is TRAILING time and not bird hunting or fox hunting time or just play time. LOL
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline jeanpaul3006

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2013, 11:18:00 AM »
I have a miniature long haired daschund  and so far she's found 3 deer.
I found it necessary to keep the helpers back because they always want to find the deer but start crowding the dog.The dog needs room to sometimes circle and find the trail if the deer changed direction.
I never believed such a small dog would be an asset but she's tracked game that would have been lost otherwise. One other thing, always trust your dog, i was ready to pull her off the trail and thankfully didn't. She was always right.

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2013, 04:53:00 PM »
Would a Basset Hound do well at deer tracking?
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2013, 08:10:00 PM »
Originally posted by Burnsie:
Would a Basset Hound do well at deer tracking?
I heard they have. The best noses of all the hounds.

Online Basinboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2013, 03:57:00 PM »
Originally posted by The Night Stalker:
They are hard to find! I searched and searched only to find out it wouldn't be easy. When I had just about given up a guy that I sent a message to in Texas replied that he had 3 pups that would be ready Dec 1st and he had one left! I sent my deposite immediately. It is his last litter as he will no be breeding again. Finding a wirehair from German bloodline with proven parents is tough!
Can't wait to get my pup and start training. Best of luck.
Primal Tech Longbow 42#@26” 62” amo
Palmer Longbow 43#@26" 62" amo
Zona T/D Recurve 48@26" 58" amo
Osage Selfbow 38#@26” 64” amo

PBS Associate Member
Compton Member

Offline Hattrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2013, 04:09:00 PM »
I use GSPs in the german testing system blood tracking is a big piece. I do NAHVDA testing and training   but add blood tracking on my own. My bitch is 2 for 3 this year. The third is still going in my opion. Its hsrd to beat the nose of a well breed GSP
Bull

Offline Bobby Urban

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2013, 06:47:00 PM »
Forgive my ignorance but what is a GSP?  

Thanks

Offline Hattrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2013, 07:10:00 PM »
German Shorthaired Pointer they are do it all dogs, upland game waterfowl,  fur and blood tracking. They have best personality of any dogs ive been around and make grate compainons. For blood tracking i would buy from a good NAHVDA or DK breedings.
Bull

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2013, 07:13:00 PM »
I had a bad experience once with trailing dogs, but I blame the handlers and not the dogs.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Hattrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2013, 07:28:00 PM »
I have herd that the hunt has been breed out of alot of the basset hounds as with many other old hunting breeds that become pets and show dogs. The best thing is rearch a solid hunting breeding program. I think any well breed hunting dog with a nose could do it if trained. Some say the smaller dogs might have a advantage being lower and slower but not im not sure about that. We have a guy in are traditional club that uses Mountain Cur dogs regularly for a fee with local hunters on the eastern shore of md. He does well with those dogs
Bull

Offline Hattrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2013, 07:31:00 PM »
Trails and hunt tests are 2 different venees. Working dogs of  breed need a job to do.
Bull

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©