3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Dogs for recovering wounded game  (Read 2762 times)

Offline Paul/KS

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Dogs for recovering wounded game
« Reply #60 on: November 26, 2013, 09:39:00 AM »
Originally posted by BWallace10327:
The Colorado Parks and Wildlife would much rather you lose the animal then using a dog, even if leashed, to find it.
Same thing in Kansass.

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: November 27, 2013, 12:43:00 PM »
Finally, after a 1.5 year search in literally multiple countries, I have found a blood dog! I just got the news this morning and I am about to bust with excitement. I was able to locate a litter of Bavarian Scent Hounds and I am chomping at the bit to get to my new pup.

The noses on these dogs noses are legendary and they are arguably the best blood dogs in the world when you consider size, temperament and desire to track on cold lines. My pup is 9 weeks old and I have been stacking up bear and deer legs, skins and blood for his training for months. I feel like a kid at Christmas. For you tradgang guys coming to my hunts in Georgia and bear camp in Canada, you had better shoot strait or bring a treat for him because he will be on the job for you, lol.

Now all I have to do is make the short little drive from Georgia to Illinois to pic him up...

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: November 27, 2013, 01:09:00 PM »
I researched those Bavarians, very cool dogs. In the end I went for old faithful and got a pit bull cross of which Ive had several variations of from full to half for over 30 years. I was looking for a pet mores than a hunting dog in the end.

For someone who is looking for a straight hunting dog, a Bavarian is hard to beat. Pair him with a Jagd Terrier and they will be hell on wheels. A look at any European hunting website will invariably have a pic of hunters with Bavarians in tow.

Congrats on your new pup Jerry. Show some pics when you get him.

Offline Benjy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: November 27, 2013, 02:06:00 PM »
Originally posted by Whip:
The breeds that are breed specifically for tracking might be the best at it for hard core use, but don't think other breeds can't be a huge asset.  I have a young Boykin spaniel that has done a great job on the trails he has had so far.  I did get the book and do the training, and it really has helped.  

Our Boykin fits our personalities and lifestyles better than some of the other breeds, so that was the main criteria for us.  But he more than holds his own when he gets on a blood trail.  I think any dog with a good nose and intelligence can make a reliable blood trailer.  

The comments and suggestions on how not to mess up a trail are spot on for any breed.  Do everything you can to give your dog the best chance you can from the beginning.
I have been playing with my Chiwawa, AKA "Pocket Tracker". I have not had him on a real blood trail yet. I can't wait to see how he reacts to a deer instead of a treat at the end of the trail. He does like cup cakes also!

CLICK on the below picture for a short video!

TGMM Family of the Bow
ZIPPER NITRO 64" LONGBOW 50#@29"
ZIPPER SXT   60" RECURVE 52#@29"
ZIPPER SXT   64" LONGBOW 71#@29"

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: November 27, 2013, 02:14:00 PM »
"Your not taking that poor .....'' Oh yes he is!
Todd Trahan
All of Creation Gives God Glory!

Offline Benjy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: November 27, 2013, 02:21:00 PM »
Hopefully, I CAN take him tonight!   :laughing:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: November 27, 2013, 05:12:00 PM »
That is awesome Benjy.  I may ask to borrow the little guy for my bear camp this year but you may get him back a little shaky and with bigger eyes, lol.

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: November 27, 2013, 05:30:00 PM »
Here is the newest employee at Russell Outdoor Guides! Man I am excited. Can you all tell I am a dog guy?

Meet Karo.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: November 27, 2013, 05:40:00 PM »
Sounds like training the dog is only part of your challenge in getting your own blood trailer Benjy!  Hope that works out for ya!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: November 27, 2013, 07:06:00 PM »
:biglaugh:    Only Benjy!! That boy is not right! Maybe that's why we get along so well.    :laughing:  

That's a good looking pup, Jerry!  Congratulations
Bill

Offline Benjy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: November 27, 2013, 08:58:00 PM »
Jerry, that is a great looking Pup!

I'm sure my boy would love to go bear hunting with you, His whole family will have to come along!

The good thing about my tracker is that he will fit in my jacket, so he also doubles as a hand warmer!

The bad thing is, if he gets away from me, I can not go home!

Whip, you said something about a book for blood trailing. What book are you using?
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: November 27, 2013, 09:42:00 PM »
Originally posted by Benjy:
Jerry, that is a great looking Pup!

I'm sure my boy would love to go bear hunting with you, His whole family will have to come along!

The good thing about my tracker is that he will fit in my jacket, so he also doubles as a hand warmer!

The bad thing is, if he gets away from me, I can not go home!

Whip, you said something about a book for blood trailing. What book are you using?
Man I would be afraid that a hawk, owl or a bluejay would pick that dog off, lol.

Offline Benjy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: November 27, 2013, 10:11:00 PM »
"A Bluejay"    :knothead:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline thumper-tx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: November 27, 2013, 10:28:00 PM »
As whip mentioned, a number of breeds are capable. Some that you might not expect. I have a part Australian shepherd, part german shepherd,and neither being purebred that does well.  I took her along about five years ago after shooting a buck. She smelled the arrow, sniffed around a minute and then followed the trail to the animal.

Since then, she has found about ten deer and more hogs than that. Just blind luck on my part but it shows that some dogs just "take to it" so to speak.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: November 29, 2013, 09:31:00 PM »
I have started training this pup; he is picking it up pretty well. He should be ready by next year.

If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: November 29, 2013, 09:56:00 PM »
A good dog is hard to beat... I have used Blueticks, Catahoulas, and even an Australian Shepard over the last 30 years. I have a Catahoula "Belle" now that is a retired hog dog that is the simply the smartest dog I've ever owned, she always seems to know what her job is. Belle does not need a leash or tracking collar, she's patient and waits on me.

The little dogs are great until they have to stop a wounded buck, or doe for that matter. I hurts to loose a little best friend. A wounded deer can be really rough on a small dog. The good news is their nose is just as good as a big dog's and if kept on a leash there's never any real danger for the dog.

I have never had much luck in heavy rain, be it hog hunting, coon hunting or trailing wounded game. I have found some close trails, but in my experience the more water on the ground the worse the chance, but that's just my experience.

Offline Gottabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: November 30, 2013, 09:03:00 AM »
Anyone use a Mountain Fiest for trailing..we have a 1 1/2 year old that is relentless and extremely energetic...smart dog and a lot of personality...love antlers also.

Offline Gottabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: November 30, 2013, 09:06:00 AM »
Anyone use a Mountain Fiest for trailing..we have a 1 1/2 year old that is relentless and extremely energetic...smart dog and a lot of personality...love antlers also.

Offline Benjy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: December 20, 2013, 11:16:00 PM »
Guess who went on a blood trail this last week end. We still have a ways to go but he did find the deer with a little help keeping him on the trail...

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: December 21, 2013, 08:02:00 AM »
You keep hitting them there Benjy and that dog is never going to learn how to handle a tough trail!  

Great job on both of you!  Now that he knows what's on the end of a blood trail I'm betting he will do great!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©