3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 3 Fingers Under  (Read 977 times)

Offline Scattergun2570

• Trad Bowhunter
3 Fingers Under
« on: November 20, 2013, 10:22:00 PM »
I wrote to Rick Welch recently. I told him that I like 3 fingers under more than split,but I shoot split cause the noise and vibration seem to increase with 3 fingers under. His reponse was kind of surprising..it read as follows...

"I don't have any issues with my bows being noisy split or three under. Typically even tillered shoot quieter. Rick"  

What has been your experience with 3 fingers under as compared to split? Is there any secret to getting it to quiet down?

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 3 Fingers Under
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 10:26:00 PM »
Personally I don't feel or hear anything different with my bows shooting split of 3U either .  I shoot all JD Berry straightlimbed longbows so u can't comment in others. The only other bow I truly remember was my bear super k and I shot it 3U and it was super quiet
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 10:41:00 PM »
Split is quieter for me.
I don't know when I watch ricks videos weather it be his or his students shooting they are among the loudest bows I ever heard. Maybe it's the audio of the recordings  or light arrows I don't know. They just seem excessively loud.

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 10:50:00 PM »
Could be that Rick has a bit of hearing impairment so he would not notice the difference...I find 3 under to be a bit noisier with most bows...I do shoot 2 under which is quieter than 3

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Paul_R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 10:53:00 PM »
I shoot two under. My ring finger gives me nothing but grief and adds nothing to my draw strength. Split is completely awkward for me.
"My opinion is free and worth every penny"

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 11:45:00 PM »
He's out to lunch…split is quieter no doubt. Bows can be made quiet 3 under but split is quieter in almost all cases I've seen.

Offline Nala

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2013, 12:28:00 AM »
I changed about a year ago to 3 under.  I alternate between a tab and glove.

I did notice a slight decrease in noise and increase in better arrow flight after the switch.  Rather than the bow, I chalked those results up to my poor release using split.  I don't think I was letting go of the arrow with my top finger very cleanly at all.  Not to say I was grasping it or anything, but my index finger did have a bad influence on my arrow flight.

My recurve I am shooting now is a Hoyt Excel 21 inch ILF recurve.  I have the ability to adjust for split or 3 under and when I got it strung up and started shooting it, I noticed I was getting some of the best arrow flight I had ever seen out of any bow.  Right then I decided I was not going to touch a thing and leave well enough alone.

Good luck with your journey.

Nalajr

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2013, 11:04:00 AM »
Bows off even tiller do shoot quieter. South cox built a longbow for me tillers for 3 under and it shot as quiet as any bow I`ve shot split. Bows are different as well as Archers and their release.
   I switched to three under a couple of years ago and my accuracy improved a whole lot. Much cleaner release. Some bows I`ve tried 3 under were really loud and you could tell the difference and some were not. The little added noise does not bother me at all. Rick is a heck of a shot and critter killer, people don`t pay good money for lessons from him for nothing.RC

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2013, 11:35:00 AM »
Agree with RC, depends on how the bows tillered.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2013, 02:24:00 PM »
All my bows are tillered for split and there is slightly more noise, or at least the character of the noise is different, shooting three under.  It's minimal, but I do like the way my bows sound shooting split.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2013, 03:00:00 PM »
I believe that Rick's Dakota recurves that he tillers for 3 under are as quiet as most other recurves I've ever heard being shot, whether 3 under or split.  Since Rick shoots his own bows, that's probably why he made that comment.  Some of the other bows that I have seem noisier when shot 3 under, even bows that I ordered from the bowyer tillered for 3 under.

Black Widow bows generally seem noisier to me shot 3 under, but Rod Jenkins's Black Widow bow, which I believe he shoots 3 under, is one of the quietest recurve bows I've ever heard, quieter than Rick shooting his own Dakota bow or any other recurve I've ever heard.  You would have to go to a longbow to get a bow that quiet.

I'm sure that great shooters have great releases, which may be a big part of the reason why Rick and Rod can shoot 3 under quieter than most other people.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline JDunlap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2013, 12:45:00 AM »
Same issue here. Three under is noisier.
Sandy Biles Scorpion TD RC; 54@28
RER XR Static Tip RC; 50@28
JC Optimus riser/Uukha EX1EVO2 [email protected]

Offline Caddo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2013, 09:39:00 AM »
3 Under is noisier for me too. I've moved my split anchor point up to the eye socket bone just under my right eye. Seems to be the best of both worlds, quiet release and 3 under accuracy.

LD
"If your gonna kick a tiger in the butt, you better have a plan for dealing with his teeth!

Offline jjwaldman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2013, 09:53:00 AM »
I have not noticed a difference between split and 3 under, however I noticed a big difference after I took Rod Jenkins clinic and my release got better.  I think we blame much on out equipment that is our own fault.

Offline lyagooshka

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2013, 10:21:00 AM »
When I shoot my JavaMan American (longbow), I don't see any difference split or 3-under.  I usually shoot 3-under on that one.  But when I am shooting my Helms Deep (recurve), I can only shoot split finger because of the noise difference.  It's that significant.  Go fig.

Alex
"I have known many meat eaters to be far more nonviolent than vegetarians." - Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Nativestranger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2013, 10:30:00 AM »
My longbow was tillered even but still quieter when shot split. There's less vibrations too. I suspect the issue of noise with 3 under isn't just a matter of tiller but unequal string slack below the arrow as the fingers are released causing mis-timing of the limbs.
Instinctive gapper.

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2013, 10:42:00 AM »
To me, three fingers under and a tab feels unnatural. I just can't shoot like that. Just gimme a glove and let me shoot split-finger...
All my bows are very quiet and tillered for split- finger.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

Offline Echo62

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2013, 11:40:00 AM »
I tend to agree with jjwaldman. I think most of my noise and lack of accuracy comes from my poor release. But, I did have a Fox Breed recurve a while back that was dead silent with just cat whiskers and my poor 3 under release.
For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. 2nd Timothy 1:7.

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2013, 01:38:00 PM »
All of my bows are even tillered, and they were all very quiet when I shot them split fingered.  I immediately noticed the increase in noise when I switched to three under, but it really isn't that bad, especially when figuring in the increased consistency of good arrow flight that I am getting.
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Offline Broke N Arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2014, 03:30:00 PM »
I switched to 3 under about three years ago because i was shooting high and that took care of that problem...I have noticed that the noise is in how I release..when I knock in with my 2nd finger at the corner of my mouth and rap my thumb around and under my jaw I'm locked in steady..the noise comes in how I release from there..I have to remember to release with just my fingers with my hand remaining in place..the noise comes when I forget and release with my hand and not keeping it against my face...works for me ..hope this helps..
Stand at the crossroads and look, seek for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is,and walk in it, and you will find rest for your soul....Scroll of Joshua

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©