3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Where have all the deer gone?  (Read 1407 times)

Offline lyagooshka

• Trad Bowhunter
Where have all the deer gone?
« on: November 21, 2013, 12:55:00 PM »
Hello all,

Greetings from SE Pennsylvania.

I must admit I haven’t been hunting as much as I would have wanted to this year, but I have actually done quite a bit more scouting.  To be honest, I am amazed.  I have not seen ANY sign of deer for the past 3 months.  A field near me alternates corn and soy.  Every year that corn is planted, the day after it’s cut, there is a herd of deer there feeding.  This was a “corn” year.  I snuck in to scout (this was a few months ago) and was amazed to see NO sign of deer.  No scat, no prints in the dirt, nothing.  I’ve been checking in here and there, but still nothing.

Another spot I try is a small plot of land near a church.  They don’t come through there thick, but there is almost always some sign.  This year, again, nothing.

In fact, the only real “signs of life” I’ve seen is during the crop damage hunts during the summer (those weren’t with bow).  Under the program, I can take an antlerless deer.  All I saw was a 4-pointer (not legal at any time).  Even on this farm, there is barely any sign of activity.

In fact, in hind-sight, I actually don’t recall seeing as many while driving around to work and the stores.  I also don’t recall much road-kill.

Is anyone else experiencing this or am I just worrying too much and should just get out more?  It has been cooler recently.  Tomorrow is supposed to be colder around here than it has for the last 2 winters.  Again, just wondering if it’s me.  Season’s closed until Monday after Thanksgiving.  I hope to take the Helm’s Deep for a walk on the farm that day.  Maybe some other hunters will bump a few my way.  Who knows?  Up until now, I’ve seen ‘em but haven’t gotten ‘em.  Maybe this will be my year?   :pray:  

Be well, hunt safe.

Alex

:archer2:
"I have known many meat eaters to be far more nonviolent than vegetarians." - Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Ron Vought

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Where have all the deer gone?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 01:14:00 PM »
Alex - I also live in SE PA and it appears the deer have left the county. Strange year for me as well in regards to deer numbers. I did see a good amount of doe early on in the season but the buck sightings were way down and I hunt some quality areas. I contribute some of it to the higher than normal temps we experienced in October.

Ron

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 01:30:00 PM »
Same thing here in southern WV also Alex. You have any deep snows past couple of winters? Art

Offline J Dean

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 01:56:00 PM »
Its not just you and your area of PA.  I have noticed the same thing up here in southern Ontario.  Have seen very little sign and have not been seeing the deer on way to or from work in the fields.  Not sure what is going on.  Is it the weather patterns?  Is it the result of a boom in the predator population?  Not sure.  But I know it isn't just me either.  2 years ago I could have applied for 7 tags in the areas I hunt and these were for doe or buck.  Last year it was down to two.  And this year 1 tag only.  So the MNR must be seeing a decline as well.
Omega Imperial 62" - 47#@28"

Offline huntnmuleys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 02:20:00 PM »
I think you've got a squatch in your area....

ok kidding, seriously ive heard of that in a few places this year.  our numbers in general are down here so I know the feeling.  I will say this, though. my friend in ohio, who I was recently staying and hunting with, was seeing many less deer on his place, but while I was there they just kind of showed up.  maybe theyre just not staying in traditional spots this year, but are still around..
is it September yet??

Offline Paul/KS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 02:29:00 PM »
I'm in a part of NE Kansass that was hit by EHD last year and coyotes for more than a couple years. We don't see nearly the numbers, doe or buck, that are being seen an hours drive south of me.
Oh, and I am hunting private land...  :dunno:

Offline Missouri Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2013, 02:55:00 PM »
Same here, I was just talking with a friend but this year has been the lowest deer number I have seen since I've been hunting, at least in my usual area.

Offline Slickhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2013, 03:29:00 PM »
strange her in ohio also
Aug and Sept I saw more deer than ever
After the early black powder season they seemed to vanished
Slickhead

Offline onemississipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2013, 03:50:00 PM »
You may not know this but they hide under ground and levitate around when they are above ground!

Or they may have came South, we won't get into politics.

Call the wildlife biologist, they can fill you in.
Dustin
_ _ _________________________________ _  _

Offline rice

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2013, 04:46:00 PM »
Deer sightings down here also. In our case we have lots of acorns everywhere so the deer have very little reason to move much.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.  :)
We do not stop playing because we are old. We grow old because we stop playing.

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2013, 05:29:00 PM »
Originally posted by Missouri Bowman:
Same here, I was just talking with a friend but this year has been the lowest deer number I have seen since I've been hunting, at least in my usual area.
Me too, did not see a single deer from stand all bow season.  Bumped a few going in very early in the season, then not even that.

Acorns were bumper crop crazy though maybe they weren't having to move as much.
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Online Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2013, 05:45:00 PM »
I've been getting similar reports from all over the U.S. Some areas that had good mast crops and some that did not; some that harvested corn late only to find out they weren't in the corn either; no EHD finds; no more predators or poaching than normal; minimal to no rubs/scrapes compared to normal; next to no bucks actively chasing; minimal deer seen from the road, running the fields with their tongues hanging out during the rut. I'm not positive but I think I have it figured out. I think the Whitetail Rapture hit. The only deer left are non-Christian muslims. bw

Offline Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2013, 05:48:00 PM »
Barry-  You are a hoot!

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2013, 05:48:00 PM »
That's funny Barry!

Here too in Manitoba deer numbers are way down. Record year for crops and still the numbers are low. 2 tough winters and tons of wolves seem to be taking their toll!

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2013, 05:52:00 PM »
It's not you. Don't even get me started on this pa stuff. I don't like how they manage deer. They are probably the richest state from all the hunters. And I see nothing but new vehicles, and other expenses and the deer herd is going to crap. It's been for last 5 years. It's terrible I allot of places. I don't even want to think about it... I like to complaine about Pa
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline doug77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2013, 05:54:00 PM »
Same thing in my area????????

doug77

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2013, 05:54:00 PM »
EHD was bad in places in MO this year, but fortunately my hunting area in the SW part of the state was spared. I've seen plenty, shot two does, and there are bucks everywhere. We had a complete acorn crop failure last year, but this year is making up for it. Nearly every oak is bearing, and the white oak acorns are larger than usual.

They all came to my place.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2013, 05:56:00 PM »
The deer #'s around my area are and have been way down in number for a few years now. I know the coyotes thinned them down, but their #'s continue to decline even with the coyotes gone. Very few road killed dear and not one sighting of a buck chasing this season.  Plenty of food in some areas,and there are no deer there to eat it.Boomer fruit crops this year, domestic and wild, apples,pears, berries, wild grapes, crab apples. With low acorn production this year, the deer should be all over the fruit! Their not, because the deer just aren't here. What deer I do see seem to be concentrated closer to the villages and cities for the most part. Something strange going on I would say.
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline Wapiti Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2013, 06:52:00 PM »
Dave up by me in Bath I'm finding the same thing . Not one buck has been seen chasing all fall. My trail cams on major runs go for over a week sometimes with no pictures . Scrapes opened early haven't been visited in over a month . Most of the does we do see don't have any fawns just three or four adult does together. I know guys around me have hit the does hard for years and I think it's catching up. I am really saddened and concerned about what's happening to the deer .
" Take a kid bowhunting"
New York Bowhunters BOD
PBS Member

Offline mwosborn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2013, 07:03:00 PM »
EHD and a severe drought last year took a toll on our herd here in eastern NE - numbers much lower this year than in the past several years.  Will take a few years for the population to return to numbers of 2 years ago!  I am curious what the harvest numbers will be from our rifle season that is going on right now.
Enjoy the hunt!  - Mitch

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©