3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Kansas Buck - Second Time at Caney Creek a Success!  (Read 1071 times)

Offline LimBender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Kansas Buck - Second Time at Caney Creek a Success!
« on: November 21, 2013, 02:49:00 PM »
Got back a week ago from my second trip to Caney Creek - a sponsor here, and made some great memories with my dad!

Last year, though no fault of Caney, it was one of those disaster trips for the books. I was sick, ended up with 3 flat tires, locked keys in truck and had to break a window, my dad and I both couldn't get it done (with misses), and we had the 2012 election.

But, I knew Jerry and crew put on a fine operation.  We saw lots of real nice deer (I had 3 nice bucks in bow range), and it is a very bowhunter friendly place - not overguided or overhunted, lots of land and different terrain, and you can shoot whatever buck trips your trigger.  My kind of place.    :thumbsup:    
Also, the story-telling, food, and lodging isn't too shabby.  :biglaugh:    

>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Shoot some Zippers and a Bear.

Offline LimBender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Kansas Buck - Second Time at Caney Creek a Success!
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 03:11:00 PM »
The terrain was pretty different for a Louisianian used to hunting woods and swamps:

But it can be deceiving.  For example, here is  what you might see walking to a stand:

But this is what is in the bottom of that crease in the prairie:

It is sometimes tough to imagine a lot of deer in these "open" areas, but they are there!

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 03:14:00 PM »
:campfire:    :coffee:
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 03:17:00 PM »
This is gonna be good..  :campfire:
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 03:26:00 PM »
:campfire:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline LimBender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 03:31:00 PM »
The first afternoon out I saw four different bucks within 50 yards, and two were of the damn big variety!  With 15 minutes of light left, the biggest buck I've ever seen in the wild (I could not look at his rack for more than a second or two to keep it together, but he was a very thick, tall, 10-12 point with a lot of junk around the bases) came bee-lining straight for my tripod hidden in a cedar top.  Of course he came straight on and decided to use my tree as his cover while he ghosted the edge.  I didn't know what to do.  As his rack came out from under the tree, I tried to slowly draw.  He whipped his head around in a flash and our eyes met at less than 10 feet.  He bolted, but not before stopping at 20 yards with me at full-draw.  But it was all rack and butt and no shot.

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2013, 03:34:00 PM »
Where's the hero shot!
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline LimBender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2013, 03:37:00 PM »
Of course I wanted to go back to that stand, so the next morning I find myself sitting around for a couple hours with does and fawns, and about 2.5 hours later the second largest buck from the prior afternoon came on in.  He went around the area and the wind wasn't great, but the other deer feeding put his mind at ease and he fed out in front a ways.  I decided on a seated shot and had one good window to do it.  The other deer filtered off and it felt like my time.  It was pin drop quiet (which isn't like most of my KS experiences).  As I drew I thought I saw his body language change, and let the arrow fly.  I purposefully aimed a couple inches high thinking it was about 25 yards.  Well, he dropped at the sound of the bow and my arrow just missed his back right over the lungs.  Turned out to be closer to 20 yards.  It was an intense experience, and due to my slow flying 600 grain arrow, I knew the arrow went where I aimed.  It was probably the first time I was at peace with a miss - which was strange.

Online durp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2013, 03:48:00 PM »
:campfire:

Offline LimBender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2013, 04:12:00 PM »
The next few days of hunting were both great and demanding.  It was cold and windy, but I saw deer and had some very nice sits. It is now the morning of my last day.  It is a balmy 15 degrees, and other than trying to keep my hands warm (I hate trying to shoot in gloves), I was feeling pretty good about my stand in a cedar on a wheat field edge with perfect wind.

A doe and yearling came out and the yearling decided to smell around where I walked in the stand.  I was standing and frozen wishing him away for the next half hour while he milled around enjoying himself. Then a nice 7 point came out and walked the edge I was in.  I almost shot, but again, he was so close that my draw spooked him just a little and I decided not to take the marginal shot.  

But, I was standing and in position and thought I heard something coming from the opposite direction a ways off. As soon as I saw decent horns and a buck working the edge licking branches, I decided I'd draw early and hold.  So I drew and right after I do, the buck is licking the branch right below me almost looking up at me.  He is actually looking over my head and exposing his neck, but I did not have a great shot.  He then turned and took a step and at about 10 feet I let the arrow fly.  I could hear something like air coming out of a baloon, but knew it was a little high (it was a steep angle).  He ran off with about 10" of arrow in him, but I was glad to see the arrow wasn't flopping around.  I then heard crashing in the woods.

About 3 hours later we came back and he had died right there about 125 yards from where I shot.  He wasn't as big as the first 2 bucks, but it was a memorable ending to a great hunt with my dad!

Offline Altiman94

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2013, 04:22:00 PM »
Great buck!  I really want to hunt Kansas some day, I love the terrain out there!!
>>>--------->

Offline rice

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2013, 04:44:00 PM »
Great story, Thanks.
We do not stop playing because we are old. We grow old because we stop playing.

Offline rlc1959

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2013, 05:02:00 PM »
Congratulations. I hunted the week before you and we had terrible weather, I passed a nice Buck the first evening and had a hard time seeing another Shooter the rest of the week. It was a weather thing. Deer where just not moving. I enjoyed my time and the crew at Caney Creek were great. I will definitely be going back for another try at a Monster Kansas Buck. PS Do not plan on loosing any weight on this hunt. Cooking was great.

Congrats, Randy Chamberlin
Randy Chamberlin

NRA Life Member
Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member
United Bowhunters of PA Life Member
PBS Member

Offline Bernie B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2013, 05:08:00 PM »
Nice job!  That's a really good whitetail, and you have a good story to with it!  Congratulations on a very successful hunt!     :thumbsup:

Bernie Bjorklund

NC Iowa/SW Wisconsin

Offline lilbobby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2013, 05:08:00 PM »
Great story, Great buck.   :clapper:
Conny

Offline LimBender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2013, 05:17:00 PM »
Thanks guys, it's been a season to remember for sure!

Randy, I went week of the 10th, and thought you were there 2 weeks before?  Heard the weather was about as bad as it gets for hunting.  Yep, the food and stories are both in good supply at Caney Creek.

The year before it was warmer and, not surprisingly, we also had less deer sightings (that and no water anywhere).

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2013, 05:20:00 PM »
Great job Will.  I heard Al got one too?
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline rwbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2013, 05:23:00 PM »
Great buck!
Shoot Straight..
Rory

Offline LimBender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2013, 05:24:00 PM »
I cannot talk about his due to da rules.   :biglaugh:

Edit for Fred: I am referring to choice of weapon (not that he broke any laws or rules - it was a nice one)!

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2013, 06:02:00 PM »
Nice buck  :thumbsup:
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©