3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 50 years of bowhunting  (Read 689 times)

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
50 years of bowhunting
« on: November 21, 2013, 05:40:00 PM »
Maybe 51- I started at 14, but my birthday is in the middle of hunting season, so I'm not sure. It's been quite a trip- in those days, deer were scarce, and just to see one made for a good season. Getting a shot was something I only dreamed about for years. It took me 13 years to make my first kill. As deer populations increased and opportunities came more often, I managed a few more. Bowhunters nowadays have it easy by comparison.

My 50th season is my best yet. I'm a happy man! I know there are some here that can top my years, but nobody has had more fun! This is a sport that can carry you for your whole life, and it just keeps getting better. Just had to brag a bit. : )
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 50 years of bowhunting
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 05:42:00 PM »
PS: I used a compound for 10 years, but never really liked the complexity. Went back to traditional in '88.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 06:08:00 PM »
You sure have seen some things change in 50 years Don. Heck you saw the trad bow go out of style and then start a comeback. You have a great attitude about this lifestyle - one that I will try to emulate.
Todd Trahan
All of Creation Gives God Glory!

Offline habujohn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 06:14:00 PM »
50 years is a long time and what a great trip with bow in hand.  I look forward to still be bow hunting after that many years.  My first hunt was in 69, first deer not until 75.
John
habujohn

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 06:22:00 PM »
Great accomplishment! I reached 50 consecutive opening days this year, but for a number of those years, I did not hunt with the bow. Yours is truly a magnificent milestone. When you first picked up a bow, did you expect the fascination to last this long?
Sam

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 06:29:00 PM »
Congratulations Don..quite the milestone...one I hope I can reach in a few years. Like you I started hunting at 15, bowhunting at 16...I turned 61 this past August. I need a few years to catch up to you.

Really enjoyed shooting your SuperCeeders, still have one dozen left, great shaft and both you and Dan Quillian were a pleasure to deal with. Keep flinging those arrows for another 50!!
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Online woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2013, 06:40:00 PM »
Congratulations, Don!!!!!!!!!!  :clapper:

Certainly a Milestone indeed!!!!!

I'm creeping up on the 40 year mark, myself... Looking forward to 50, and MORE!!!
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2013, 06:45:00 PM »
Getting close to 40 years here...  Congratulations on 50!

Offline Irish Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2013, 06:48:00 PM »
Congrats Don, glad that you've had a grand time! Keep on, keepin' on......   :jumper:

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2013, 06:59:00 PM »
Congrats on 50 years, Don.  Bet it doesn't seem that long-time flies when you're having fun.

I started hunting earlier, got a shotgun for my 10th birthday (1961). Didn't start bowhunting until 1975. My father didn't approve of bowhunting, so it wasn't allowed when I was growing up.  Had to wait until I was stationed stateside in the Air Force before I got to start bowhunting.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2013, 07:03:00 PM »
Ive been at it 23 years and hope I have twice that many left.

Congrats Don.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2013, 07:19:00 PM »
I actually started shooting a bow earlier than that, starting with the little hickory bows from the dime store (now dollar stores) that had a red and white string, and came with arrows with suction cups, which were removed immediately, of course. My first hunting bow was a 40# Bear solid fiberglass longbow that could be shot from either side. Got it for $5 from one of my brother's friends who had graduated to a recurve.

These days I sense that some people think 40# isn't enough- Back when, practically all hunting bows were 40-45# draw. The strongest bow I remember anyone shooting was 60#, and he was a target archer. Everyone marveled at his ability to shoot such a powerful bow. Today's bows shoot harder, with advanced designs and strings, and I KNOW 40# is enough. A buck I shot year before last was hit quartering away, just ahead of the hindquarter, and the broadhead lodged in his sternum. He didn't go 40 yards. Nothing is more important than accuracy and sharp broadheads.

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2013, 07:23:00 PM »
Our arrows were Bear cedars, complete with Bear broadheads. They were $2.50 each from the Western Auto store, and I bought three at a time. That was big money to a kid like me.

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2013, 07:26:00 PM »
Thanks to everyone for the kind words. It's been a real pleasure, and continues to be. I'm already looking forward to next season. The deer will be well-fed going into winter, and antlers should be big next season. Bumper crop of acorns in my hunting place.

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2013, 07:28:00 PM »
Congrats Don,

I sure like the wisdom you older hunters bring to the table.

"A buck I shot year before last was hit quartering away, just ahead of the hindquarter, and the broadhead lodged in his sternum. He didn't go 40 yards. Nothing is more important than accuracy and sharp broadheads."

That last sentence speaks volumes. Thank you.
What kind of arrows do you shoot now?
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2013, 07:30:00 PM »
I actually started shooting a bow earlier than that, starting with the little hickory bows from the dime store (now dollar stores) that had a red and white string, and came with arrows with suction cups, which were removed immediately, of course. My first hunting bow was a 40# Bear solid fiberglass longbow that could be shot from either side. Got it for $5 from one of my brother's friends who had graduated to a recurve.

These days I sense that some people think 40# isn't enough- Back when, practically all hunting bows were 40-45# draw. The strongest bow I remember anyone shooting was 60#, and he was a target archer. Everyone marveled at his ability to shoot such a powerful bow. Today's bows shoot harder, with advanced designs and strings, and I KNOW 40# is enough. A buck I shot year before last was hit quartering away, just ahead of the hindquarter, and the broadhead lodged in his sternum. He didn't go 40 yards. Nothing is more important than accuracy and sharp broadheads.

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2013, 07:36:00 PM »
Two Tracks, in the '90's my brother and I manufactured the Superceder shafts, barrel tapered yellow poplar. We sold them only in spine and weight matched sets. Dan Quillian was our sales manager. I have a lifetime supply. : ) I prefer Snuffer broadheads, which were also Dan's favorites. He introduced me to them. Big holes! As far as penetration, Dan shot one completely through a record-class grizzly, using shafts I made for him in our pilot plant before we got into production. It stopped in the skin on the opposite side after quartering through the bear's chest. Good enough for me. We used that grizz in our advertising.

Offline Greyfox54

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2013, 07:46:00 PM »
Congrats Don ! , I believe bowhunting keeps you young ! I'm into my 46th year hunting but same as you shot frogs(toads), a few birds  and a muskrat before that . At 14 I saved the unbelievable amount of $32.00 and bought an Indian "Deerslayer". It may have been but I sure wasn't.
Greyfox54

Online Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2013, 07:55:00 PM »
Quite an accomplishment... Congratulations on 50 years behind the bow, this is my 43rd.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2013, 08:24:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing your memories, Don!  I took my first bow killed deer with a Bear Razorhead out of a #45 Bear Kodiak Mag back in 1973!  Like Don said, back in them days, #45 was considered the standard.  One of the guys in my hunting "group" used a #52 bow and we all thought he was just a little on the crazy side until he explained to us that was the only bow at the store when he went to buy one.  Lots of things have changed since then but I still love it just as much as I did then.  Maybe even more!  Thank you LORD for being able to enjoy hunting in YOUR creation!
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©