3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 50 years of bowhunting  (Read 690 times)

Offline far rider

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 50 years of bowhunting
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2013, 08:42:00 PM »
Wow Don, I hope I can say that some day! Pretty darn great.
Noli rogare pro onia pauciora, rogate pro scapulas latiores.

I go afield with bent wood, stick and string in search of serenity  through my primal quest.

Venatôr

Offline Chumster

• BOEUF 2019
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2013, 09:07:00 PM »
Stepped into this arena at 22 and my first bow being a Bear Super Kodiak Magnum was a bit of a challenge.
Stepped away for awhile, raising a son and other lifes adventures.
Having the time of my life right now, hunting with stick and string could not be any more enjoyable.
Forty years later, so many opportunities have come to pass and so many yet to appear.
What a trip this has been and continues to be!
Never wait too long!

Offline Chumster

• BOEUF 2019
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2013, 09:09:00 PM »
Stepped into this arena at 22 and my first bow being a Bear Super Kodiak Magnum was a bit of a challenge.
Stepped away for awhile, raising a son and other life adventures.
Having the time of my life right now, hunting with stick and string could not be any more enjoyable.
Forty years later, so many opportunities have come to pass and so many yet to appear.
What a trip this has been and continues to be!
Never wait too long!

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2013, 10:02:00 PM »
It is a great life style.  
22 years and counting.
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2013, 10:14:00 PM »
That's good stuff Don. I hope I still have the passion after all of those years.

« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2013, 10:21:00 PM »
Congrats to you! I hope I get to make a thread like this someday! I also agree with your take on it! It does just keep on getting better!

Bisch

Offline turkey65

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2013, 06:19:00 AM »
Don I know where you're coming from,been at it for sixty years and the fever has never slowed down. Shot a doe last week and the feeling and fun is unbelievable,never found a sport so life consuming,congradulations and many more years of fun.

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2013, 06:26:00 AM »
Congratulations Don!    :thumbsup:  

What will you do when you grow up?

;)

Online Timbuck2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2013, 07:39:00 AM »
Congrats on your 50 years of bowhunting.

That's awesome!    :thumbsup:

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2013, 08:02:00 AM »
Happy birthday Don. 51 years here and like you it's been more fulfilling than I could ever have imagined.

There are some who think of the early years of bowhunting in this country as the "good old days" and in so many ways they were.
Not many understand how scarce big game could be in many of the states.
Even in a 3 month season seeing a deer a month was pretty darn good for years.

May your arrows continue to fly to the mark and all of your blood trails short ones.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2013, 08:28:00 AM »
Congratulations Don!

Great points about the "good ole days" too Charlie. In Indiana where I started one was doing unusually well to have 1 bow-range opportunity per season.

I bowhunted pests beginning at age 14 in 1968. I've been bowhunting seriously since I killed the first live whitetail I ever saw at age 16 with a Pearson Cougar. This is my 44th year bowhunting big game.  

I left the curve in 1975 and went with compounds through 2009.

Like you Don I am having as much fun as ever and have never wavered in my love of archery/bowhunting.

I sure wish I knew in the early 1980's what I know now. I had the best hunting spot of my life during those 5 years and while I killed deer and passed on nicer bucks than I have ever killed (still)I made a lot more mistakes than I do these days (I still make em though).

Ironically, I could still be hunting that location (extreme N. IN)but I stopped because my exclusive access ended. I'm not much for "strange" company.

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2013, 09:02:00 AM »
Woke up this morning to go out, looked at my radar app, and rolled back over. My property in MS has a late rut, and it should just be getting interesting out there. Haven't hunted it at all yet, and it should be prime. Been concentrating on MO, where the deer are bigger. This is the home ground, though, and I'm looking forward to renewing the relationship. My favorite stand is about 150 yards from the back door. I've taken several deer there.

It took me a while to get here, folks, and I intend to fully enjoy the fruits of my labors, as long as this well-worn body holds up. Now my goal is to make it to 60 and beyond, like Turkey65!
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2013, 09:05:00 AM »
I'm really enjoying the stories I'm hearing here, by the way. It's great seeing how this sport has enhanced other lives like it has mine.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2013, 10:22:00 AM »
Been at it a long time too..nothing like climb n' trees, hid n' in the bushes, sneak n' up on critters, get n' dirty and drive n' big trucks, little buggies, wade n' around in the water and shoot n' wild animals..just to mention a few.....

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2013, 01:45:00 PM »
Chased tweetie birds, grinnies, and any other small critters around I could find with self made bows and arrows from green switches and kite string from about 4 or 5 years of age. What I remember about my age was it was before they made me go to kindergarten...    :)    and I'm now 54, so I'm right around 50 years a bowhunter too...

Grew up during a great period...

My first real bow was a yellow (with black grip) Pearson Jet bow my uncle bougt be for my 6th or 7th Christmas... Graduated to a #45 Ben Pearson, Cougar a few years after that. Things are starting to get foggy in this old age to remember exact dates...    :)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©