3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hard to sharpen Grizzlies?  (Read 697 times)

Offline bgram

• Trad Bowhunter
Hard to sharpen Grizzlies?
« on: September 11, 2007, 11:28:00 AM »
I'm interested in trying them after reading the good Doctor Ashby's report.  I've read Little Feather's sharp along (great work along!), but I've never messed around with the Grizzlies and I'm wanting to know just how hard are they to get sharp for hunting.  I need a broadhead of around 175 grains, so, I'll have to make some up.  I just didn't want to spend money on them and then get frustrated when I can't get them up to par.  Thanks,  Bobby

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hard to sharpen Grizzlies?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2007, 11:31:00 AM »
use the 160's with aluminum inserts then..don't use the 125's, as in my opinion, they are not the quality of steel the bigger heads are.

This is "war". I'm going to do a pictorial on the way I sharpen them, which is partly how Doc showed me he did them, and partly my own method.

It gets them done in about 10 minutes the first time out of the package...2 minutes each after that first time.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline bgram

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2007, 11:45:00 AM »
Ray, I'm awaiting your command, sir.  Thanks,  Bobby

Online sagebrush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007, 07:58:00 PM »
I would also like to see that Ray, thanks, Gary

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2007, 08:11:00 PM »
Me Too  :saywhat:    :thumbsup:
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline Numitokayo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2007, 08:26:00 PM »
Now that I know of the new KME broadhead sharpening system, the grizzlies will be fun to sharpen  :)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline robslifts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2007, 08:45:00 PM »
i would love to see your system also!!!
St. Joe River Bows

Offline Mike Orton

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2007, 08:47:00 PM »
I have found a couple of tools that really help to sharpen the Grizzly's.  

1. First I need a good articulating vise to hold those rascals.  Harbor Freight has an excellent hobby vise that uses a suction cup to stick to my kitchen table.  The vise will turn up, down and sideways in more ways than a Yoga master.

2. Next is a nice Color TV, cause many enjoyable evenings are spent sharpening Grizzly's in front of the Discovery Channel.  

3. File.  Use a nice new file with some type of file handle.  Your hands will get pretty sore without the handle.  My favorite file is of a triangular shape.  The Triangle shape is a stiffer file than a standard 6 or 8 inch flat file.  Chalk up the file and only push the file, never drag backward.  Smooth easy strokes, removing metal slowly.  Lay that file down at a low angle and don't be afraid of taking off metal.  Until you get the hang of it expect to shave some off the ferrule.  Use a Sharpie marker as Dykem (metal stain) if you're unsure of what you're doing to the edge.  Push the file into the edge you're sharpening.

4. Medium India Oil stone and a bit of mineral oil.  The opposite side of the bevel edge should have a faint bevel line from the Oil stone.  Be gentle on this side, pushing the stone into the edge of the broadhead.

5. One hairy left forearm.  About his time of year my left forearm is always shaved off of most of the hair.  I know of no better way to test my Grizzly's than the shave the hair off my left forearm (I'm right handed)  For you lefties, well you guys have shaved right forearms I guess.

Sharpen the bevel side with the file, turn the broadhead over, place in opposite side of the vise and sharpen the non-bevel side with the Oil stone.  The oil stone will actually bring you to the razor edge. Again, I'll keep the braodhead stationary nad move the stone voer the edge, like you're trying to shave off a peice of the stone.  Keep some oil on the stone and it won't clog up with metal filings. If you've got an Arkansas Hard Stone use that the take off the burr if you don't like a burr edge.

Grizzly's are quite easy to sharpen, for me the trick is to mount that rascal into a vise that I can adjust for comfortable filing & stoning

I don't like using aluminum broadhead adapters on the Grizzly broadhead, since the aluminum adapter becomes a weak point.  Steel Broadhead adapters come in 75, 100 and 125 grain options.  JB Weld epoxy works best for me as adhesive.  Tough stuff, never had a failure.

I've noticed that shooting properly sharpened Grizzly's into 2 by 4 construction lumber results in the wood splitting due to the rotational force of the bevel.  Backs up what Doc Ashby said about the broadhead spinning through animals.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline mongo45

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2007, 09:59:00 PM »
the only tool i use for my 160 grizzleys is a rediedge.  after about ten minutes per head i am shaving hair off my arm.  i couldn't get the file method right so i tried the rediedge.  best $17.00 i've ever spent.  
tm

Offline BigArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2007, 10:42:00 PM »
I use a file, ceramic and time.  
If starting on new grizzlies then I file at an angle where the file just misses the ferrel.  File until you can see and feel all the flats on the edge are gone.
I file many times on the bevel side and then one swipe down the other side to knock the burr off.
Once there is an edge the entire length of the blade then touch up the edge with the ceramic.  Again, I run it on the bevel side and one or two swipes down the flat side.
I use the 160s and 190s glued onto wood arrows.
The 190 quickly took down a bull elk this year.

BigArcher

Offline Curtiss Cardinal

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2007, 11:29:00 PM »
In the wood working business this is called the Scary Sharp sharpening method. It was designed to sharpen woodworking tools like plane blades. As a grizzley has a single bevel it can me sharpened in this way without modification.
You need a 12 X 12 sheet of plate glass, a spray can of temporary adhesive and 10 sheets of met dry automotive sand paper in grits from 650 - 2000
you can use a jug of some sort to keep your angle concise. Draw the broadhead blade edge from the ferrule edge to the ouside edge with medium to light pressure about 15 strokes to a side. Then move up a level in grit and repeat. By the time you get to the 2000 the edge will look mirror shiny. Run the flat side on the edge lightly flat against the sheet of sandpaper just in case there is a bead (or is it beede?_ DO NOT TOUCH this edge. It will be just as the name of the method would indicate. You can use this method to sharpen any broadhead just use common sense in adapting the method to a different broadhead.
It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare. ~Mark Twain
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Arrow4Christ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2007, 03:27:00 AM »
can't wait Ray  ;)

Offline alligatordond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2007, 04:52:00 PM »
Ray,  may just have an Osceola hunt, pig hunt or maybe even a gator hunt for some hands on training. Ten minutes out of the pack...sign me up.

DonD
DonD

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2007, 05:21:00 PM »
no, sorry, wife in the hospital for a couple days..coming home tonight.

will get it done this weekend, fellas. See it here on Monday latest.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline SOS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2007, 08:04:00 PM »
Yikes, hope the bride is A-okay.

Offline alligatordond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2007, 08:44:00 PM »
Hope all is well
DonD

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2007, 01:16:00 PM »
well, she is doing better...but not completely. I hereby promise to take photos and upload tonight, guys..sorry its taking so long but Gloria has needed some handholding and assistance and I am doing that now...so that's my only excuse.

Talk to you tonight.

Offline Dr. Ed Ashby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2007, 05:46:00 PM »
Ray, even as much as I love my hunting, at times there are things even more important. Hope Gloria is doing well, Amigo. You look after her. A good woman who can put up with old codgers like us are mighty hard to find!

Ed

Offline Arrow4Christ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2007, 08:41:00 PM »
Sounds good Ray  ;)  Take care of the wife  :thumbsup:  Hope she is feeling alright.
God bless!
Craig

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2007, 08:54:00 AM »
In my defense,since you now know I did not keep my promise, I had to get the garage cleaned up ...one of those necessary things one must do to keep the peace..as my hunting stuff was leaking over into the other two parking spots and I was parking OUTSIDE!!!!!!!!

I will get it done this evening, though.

Thanks for the thoughts and prayers. She will be better.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©