3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Limbsavers  (Read 645 times)

Offline Prairie Drifter

• Trad Bowhunter
Limbsavers
« on: November 21, 2013, 06:46:00 PM »
Where do you place limbsavers on a recurve limb to get the best effect but not hurt performance?
Maddog Bows (16)
Rocky Mnt Recurves(2)
Sierra Blanca Bows (2)
Mike B.

Offline cyred4d

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Limbsavers
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 07:08:00 PM »
I place them at the end of the fadeouts. They seem to work pretty well there.

Offline cyred4d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 07:08:00 PM »
I place them at the end of the fadeouts. They seem to work pretty well there.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 07:35:00 PM »
End of the fadeouts.  I hate em though, think they are ugly and have no place on a well designed beautiful bow.  I'd rather use different silencer materials, strings, and up my arrow weight before I'd stick chunks of rubber on my high dollar bow.  I got a Schafer Silvertip in the mail in a trade recently and it had a pair and I about gagged.  To each his own.  IMHO they don't do enough to justify the eyesore.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 07:44:00 PM »
They are ugly and have no appeal to me at all.....they work great on half the bows I own. Helped quiet my Black Widow big time!! I can live with ugly if it works.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Prairie Drifter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 10:33:00 PM »
Believe me guys , if I had another option I would do it. The bow is 50#. I have tried wool silencers, padding the string, padding the string groove, cat whiskers and arrows up to 650grs. There is still a slight "hum" when I shoot this bow. Very disconcerting.
Maddog Bows (16)
Rocky Mnt Recurves(2)
Sierra Blanca Bows (2)
Mike B.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2013, 10:55:00 PM »
IMHO anything you place on a limb or string to deaden noise is a concession to poor design or tuning.  I use wool puffs on the string about 10" from the tips and that seems sufficient ONCE I HAVE WORKED OUT ARROW SPINE WEIGHT AND BRACE HEIGHT.  

If I had to add moleskin, wraps, "Limbsavers", or anything else to a bow that would slow it down in order to reduce noise I would sooner change brace height, arrow weight, string material or bows.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2013, 11:39:00 PM »
Put them about 3 inches above the fadeouts.Not at the end of the fadeouts.They wont slow your bow down when placed thier and will dampen out limb vibration best thier.I have played with these things quite a bit on many bows

Put them up too high on the limbs and you get more limb vibration and add weight to the ends of the limbs where you do not want it.

Too low and thier not really dampening out the limbs vibrations.Because thier not even on the limbs.

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2013, 06:51:00 AM »
I'm having an ongoing PM discussion with Kirk II (Big Foot Bows)on this topic.  There was a TBM article a few years back that said put them at the tips and the performance loss due to the added weight was a negligible 1-2 fps. Kirk (he builds them, he should know)says the ideal location is dependent on the individual limb design and one location does not fit all. He's generously offered to look at pics of my limbs at brace and full draw and tell me where the Limbsavers should work best. Kirk, if you start getting swamped with pics and start charging for this service, I want a "finder's fee" cut on the action! (or more likely, if it cuts into your bow building time and you decide to sue me, I'll delete this post immediately and swear I don't know how this got out, lol)
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2013, 07:31:00 AM »
Limbsavers are ugly. Rubber tip protectors, yarn balls, string leeches, arrow grippers, elevated rests, brush buttons, steel limb bolts and many more things strike me as ugly, too. Ugly is not a concern when it's my bow going up against an animal in the woods. I can't recall ever thinking about the looks of my bow as a big whitetail or caribou or moose came dead-walking toward me. Ugly is often what gets the job done.

Offline chase perry

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2013, 09:26:00 AM »
One of my bows took a little more effort than usual to get as quiet as I wanted it.  Relative to my other bows it had the "hum" that Prairie Drifter is talking about.  I attributed this to riser density; the bow has a myrtle riser, and is notably lighter in the hand than a coco or bocote riser bow.  The mini Limbsavers made a very great improvement.  I used my daughters pony tail bands to hold them tight against the limb of the bow, shoot, then slide them around, and shoot again.  This way I was able to find the most effective location for them on my bow, which ended up being near the fade outs.  It was a last resort, as they are unattractive, but I am pleased with the result.
Proverbs 28:1 "...the godly are as bold as lions."
Isaiah 40:31

BARK, n. The song of the dog. -Ambrose Bierce

Offline Bobby Urban

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2013, 09:54:00 AM »
Have them on all my recurves at the fades.  Ugly or not the only thing that sees my bows are dead deer and they have never complained.  Necessary?  No - do they help get the bows down to a light thump or less? Yes.  My bows are considered tools in pursuit of my greatest obsession and although I take care of them - they get used!  If I can get a little advantage with a couple grams of rubber I will take it.  

I get accused of sacrilege for drilling little holes and gluing small pins to the back of all my risers for my arrow holder too but I don't care.  If it helps me become a better predator that is my only goal.

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2013, 10:31:00 AM »
Originally posted by Bobby Urban:

I get accused of sacrilege for drilling little holes and gluing small pins to the back of all my risers for my arrow holder too but I don't care.  If it helps me become a better predator that is my only goal.
I have been thinking about drilling in a little brass pin for an arrow holder as well,  but I can't bring myself to do it.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline bowtough

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2013, 11:13:00 AM »
I have an older original tip that after shooting a while would leave my left tricep sore from limb vibration. Installed a pr. of limbsavers just passed the fadeouts and presto no more soreness, and a very noticeable loss of vibration. Really lengthened my practice sessions. And I don't think they look bad at all.   :thumbsup:

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2013, 03:40:00 PM »
Limbsavers installed on the fadeouts has improved every bow that I've put them on.  The only bow I have ever owned that would not benefit from them is my Saxon American Recurve.  They do no look so bad that i would sacrifice the dead in the hand sensation that the limbsavers enable.
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2013, 08:03:00 PM »
I have various sizes of these items. My hearing isn't great but I have never been able to tell a difference when I've applied to any of my bows.

I've only tred to use them when I have a particularly cantakerous noise-maker. They have never made a difference I could hear.

Maybe I'd notice a difference if I had put them on very light curves but I don't shoot those.

Offline -snypershot317-

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2013, 11:40:00 PM »
i dont know about limbsavers, but i do know that bowjax work well too..i have four on my string (i dont like the wool silencers because they hold too much water when raining and i cant really be picky about the weather when i go hunting so i opted for rubber instead) and i had a set of jax on my 'modern' bow that really made it dead in the hand...so i personally am considering doing this too. im not concerned about ugliness cause i think my bow wins that category hands down so looks im not concerned with at all only how well it performs
   :knothead:
"Now then, get your weapons-your quiver and bow-and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me." ~Gen 27:3

"But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord." ~Joshua 24:15b

Offline S C Mercer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2013, 08:45:00 AM »
I have them on my Silvertip recurve just above the limb fade outs.  They work perfectly.  Like others have said, this is a work horse bow.  I could care less about it being a museum piece of art.  I want it to perform when it counts and anything I can do to silence it and reduce vibration/noise, even if it is minimal, works for me.   These Limbsavers do work.  If anyone has seen a slow motion video of a recurve/longbow when shot you will be impressed with the amount of actual movement of the parts.  Looks like a wet spaghetti noodle with all the parts & string moving all over the place.  Limbsavers are very effective at reducing and taming all that movement.  Another benefit that is often overlooked is in the rare event you might accidentally dry fire the bow, these will help save the bow from catastrophic failure by absorbing and dissipating a lot of the excess energy.  That alone could be worth the $12 and "ugly" looks.  ~Steve

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©