3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Let's talk 4-blade broadheads  (Read 524 times)

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
Let's talk 4-blade broadheads
« on: November 21, 2013, 09:19:00 PM »
What's everyone's thoughts on which 4-blade head offers best penetration?

I don't shoot a power house bow.  Most of my bows are 52#@28" and I draw about 27 1/2".

As far as whitetails are concerned, do you feel like this is enough "oooomph" as far as penetration goes.

I always liked the 4 blade holes I got before I came over to trad.  Would like to make my way back to them.

Thanks

Ken
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Let's talk 4-blade broadheads
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 09:38:00 PM »
My only experience is with 4 blade Magnus stingers and buzzcuts. Worked like a champ out of my 45# bows.

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 09:39:00 PM »
Stinger is what I'm seriously considering.
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Online 1/4 away

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 09:53:00 PM »
150gr 4 blade Magnus stingers are on the business end of my arrows and I've never had a problem with penetration out of my 47-50# bows.
Do not follow where the path may lead.  Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail.

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 09:58:00 PM »
I've used magnus 4 blade with very good results.
mule deer, elk, whitetail and a bear.
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Online jess stuart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 09:59:00 PM »
There are equals but none are better than Zwickey.

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2013, 09:59:00 PM »
also I find them easy to sharpen and the bleeders I use a KME.
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2013, 09:59:00 PM »
150gr Magnus Stingers as well. They are nasty to say the least. This is my first year using them and I won't switching. I shoot a 44# Stalker Coyote Longbow and have had no problems with them. I'm sold!
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2013, 10:01:00 PM »
I am shooting around 50-55# with my hunting bows and my arrows go 520 to 600 grain.  (I draw 29-3/4" pretty consistantly).

I like two-edge heads to get full penetration whether bone is hit or not.  From my observation three and four blades add some slicing surface at the cost of reduced penetration if a rib or other bone is encountered.  My bowhunting mentor used Rothhaar Snuffers (which seemed difficult to sharpen) and did well until his heart surgery ("zipper club") limited what he could draw and at 50# and below he started to have penetration problems.

And I have never failed to recover a double-lung hit deer with a two-edge broadhead.

So . . . I opt for getting the arrow out the far-side of the deer with a well constructed two-edge broadhead.  If you find comfort with bleeders then by all means use them.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2013, 10:38:00 PM »
I use Eclipse 145 grain with bleeders when hunting whitetails.  Several years back I had shoulder surgery and used a 50# bow.  Took seven seven shots and had seven complete pass thru's on whitetails using the Eclipse with bleeders.

Arrow flight will have a lot more effect on penatration than using a three or four blade broadhead.  If the arrow is not flying straight when hitting the critter the penatration is reduced.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline screamin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2013, 10:45:00 PM »
I've shot quite few animals with stinger 4 blades and never had a penetration problem. But they tend to bend a little easy. The steelforce phathead is a much tougher head and they'll custom build any weight you want if you call and ask. Buuuut, I don't like the way they go together with the lock washer. I guess nothings perfect.

Offline huntmaster70

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2013, 08:10:00 AM »
Zwickey 4 blade has worked well for me

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2013, 09:13:00 AM »
Would the vintage Bear Razor Head with bleeders be considered a 4 blade? Shot out of my 50# curve the have done good for me.
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline Bob Stager

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2013, 09:35:00 AM »
My favorite broad head is a 4 blade Eskimo!

Online Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2013, 09:36:00 AM »
I like the big whole the 4 blade muzzy phantoms leave and i've never had a problem with penetration out of my 55lb bow.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2013, 11:06:00 AM »
Screw in I'd suggest Stingers.  Glue on, Eclipse or Zwickey.
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2013, 11:16:00 AM »
Back when I started bowhunting in 1973ish, the "only" broadhead was the Bear Razorhead.  The average bow weight was 45 lbs.  Remember, this was before fastflight strings, carbon EFOC arrows and such.  My first deer was taken in excess of 30 yards.  (yes, I know better now-a-days)       :nono:           When I found the buck, the point of the broahead was sticking out of the hide on the other side.  The "bleeder blade" was stuck in the off side rib.  
Fast forward to several years ago, I went back to the old Razorhead for my deer hunting.  It appeared to me that the bloodtrails were heavier with the bleeder blades than without.  The only time I had a problem with penetration was when half of a  bleeder blade broke off and the other side twisted so the flat side was acting like a "snow plow".  The bow used then was a 50 lb bow.
Now-a-days, after trying just about every broadhead I could afford,  I still like and use a 4-blade broadhead on whitetail deer.  My favorite is the Zwickey Eskimo 4-blade.  Why?  They fly great (even when its windy), sharpen up good, penetrate better (to me anyhow) than a 3-blade, are inexpensive (plus you don't ever have to buy replacement bleeder blades), tuff, and have the potential to put more blood on the ground than a 2 blade.  I'm only shooting about 46-47 pounds (at my draw length) so pentration vs cut is always a balancing act.  If I was shooting more pounds, I would be using a 4-blade Zwickey Delta.  Just my experience...
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2013, 12:00:00 PM »
Zwickey No Mercy 4 Blades would serve u well....great angle of attack for lighter bows and/or short draw lengths.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2013, 11:20:00 AM »
I am shooting Zwickey Delta 4 blade heads out of a 50 lb bow. Haven't shot but three deer with them. Shot a big doe yesterday evening. All three have been complete pass thru.
Really been impressed with these heads. Easy to sharpen, affordable, tough, and big holes. all you can ask from a broadhead. If I were concerned with penetration I would go with the 4 blade Eskimo.
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline Dusty Nethery

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2013, 11:56:00 AM »
I've used the Steelforce Hellfires for 3 years with arrows ranging from 480 gr. to 700 gr. and bows between 51 and 57 lbs. I switched from Woodsmans only because I wanted to try something new. Pass-thrus anytime I don't hit a big bone on whitetails.

If you hit them in both lungs with any kind of broadhead you will find them. I, however, hate crawling on my hands and knees to find blood when they don't fall within sight with smaller two blade heads.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©