3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: woking on a project and could use some help  (Read 412 times)

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
woking on a project and could use some help
« on: November 22, 2013, 11:20:00 AM »
I am working on a new project and I have been doing some thinking, and during my search this thread came up. I find it VERY interesting.

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=060165  

Does anybody else have similar rusults as to the durability of the FMJ shafts? Or have you had different results than those that have been stated here?
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline Rick Moss

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: woking on a project and could use some help
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 01:54:00 PM »
toughest arrows on the market, period. they also take away the worry of a wood or carbon arrow exploding at the shot and splintering into your hand(more of a compound bow issue and people not flexing carbon arrows)...but I can assure you that if you see one guys hand that has an exploded carbon arrow splintered through his hand...you will flex your carbon! I shoot them and I don't think there is a better arrow on the market. I also shoot the Easton carbon bloodlines because they were out of fmj's when I needed arrows. good arrows, especially for the price...but from my experience, there is not a better or tougher, better penetrating arrow on the planet.

Offline Zmonster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 02:26:00 PM »
Ive suffered bends on glancing hits on stumps and such. No damage to direct hits.
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying,
"Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 02:29:00 PM »
This is what I'm wanting, I want the goods AND the bads associated with FMJ shafts.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 02:31:00 PM »
Do you have to use special points on the FMJ or to standard points work?  I guess what I am asking is would I have to buy new broadheads or use special adapters?

Offline Rick Moss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2013, 04:21:00 PM »
Originally posted by Hermon:
Do you have to use special points on the FMJ or to standard points work?  I guess what I am asking is would I have to buy new broadheads or use special adapters?
I shoot slick trick broad heads(with ANY shaft I shoot), and know several other people who shoot FMJ's, and nobody I know uses any special adapters. the only thing I can see, is if you don't want the back of the broad head ferrule to be bigger than the shaft its self. you do have to use smaller diameter field points if you want them to pull out of a target smoothly. but I have only shot Easton smaller diameter shafts since they came out and have a crap load of tips, so this is a non issue for me. but to answer your question, no...it is no needed to buy any special adapters.

Offline mparks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2013, 04:24:00 PM »
A hen turkey busted one of mine this fall and I lost the end with my $30 broad head. Man, that was an expensive turkey breast!

I also busted on on a rock at Land O' Lakes. Invoice is in the mail to Gleason for that one. :)

They work real well if you shoot through the vitals though.  I think any arrow short of a piece of re-rod would have taken some damage from the above incidents.

Offline Rick Moss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2013, 04:25:00 PM »
mike, I hunt a lot of ground hogs with my bows, and ground hogs are probably the toughest game I have hunted with a bow as far as arrow damage, and I have never bent a FMJ, I even had a ground hog try to go down a hole with the arrow sticking way out on both sides...and he was really flexing that arrow....and it was still strait..."as an arrow". obviously as Zmonster said, they CAN be bent...but it is very difficult. they are very tough arrows. my buddy bounced one off of an iron buck, and that bent the very tip of the arrow. so yes, they will bend if you get the right hit on them...but not nearly as easy as I thought you would be able to bend em.

Offline Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2013, 04:30:00 PM »
Thanks Rick.  The reason I was asking is that on the Easton website it says that they take deep six inserts/points that have 40 tpi (threads per inch) and I thought standard points had 32 tpi?

Am I thinking too much?

Offline Rick Moss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2013, 04:34:00 PM »
Originally posted by Hermon:
Thanks Rick.  The reason I was asking is that on the Easton website it says that they take deep six points that have 40 tpi (threads per inch) and I thought standard points had 32 tpi?

Am I thinking too much?
no problem! the deep six inserts do need special heads, and only a few companies are making broad heads to fit them, so you will be very limited on what you can shoot using those inserts.
the regular HIT(hidden insert technology) inserts will fit any standard threaded tip or broad head. the HIT inserts come with the FMJ's. I am not even sure you can get the deep six inserts with them, I do know there are certain shafts that ONLY use the deep six...but the FMJ arrows use HIT that will accept any regular tip...not sure if you can special order them with the deep six inserts or not...that one you would have to ask someone else or check through Easton.

Offline Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2013, 04:36:00 PM »
Thanks Rick! Just as soon not need anything special.

Offline Rick Moss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2013, 04:37:00 PM »
I heard that, this sport is already too complicated sometimes.

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2013, 10:58:00 AM »
Just like any other aluminum arrow, if it gets bent or ding in it, it is done. I'll stick to carbon for weight and durability.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2013, 11:28:00 AM »
I'm thinking about trying them the next batch of arrows I buy. I would think with the carbon backing them on the inside, bends or dings would be much less likely.

Comments so far seem to support that.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2013, 11:44:00 AM »
One of the reasons I went to them is it is easy to make 9 to 10 gpp without too much difficulty...you want more foc you go with brass hit inserts...the confusion about deep six inserts comes from the new injexion arrows which are also available in a jacketed version...aluminum/carbon arrows are nothing new...Easton has made the ACC and ACE arrows forever...just carbon over an aluminum core
DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2013, 11:50:00 AM »
I live in the wilds in Canada and I can walk into a local archery shop and have a very informative Easton brochure in my hands that will explain how this all works...Easton is a class company building classy products right there in the USA...their quality control is impeccable

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©