3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Strange but Awesome Tuesday  (Read 372 times)

Online ohiodoeslayer

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Strange but Awesome Tuesday
« on: November 22, 2013, 01:49:00 PM »
The area I'm hunting is very isolated. Another fellow is hunting there also. Last Friday he came to my house,I live about a mile away, he lives in Columbus. He told me he got a picture of a doe with a collar on his trail cam and asked if I had seen her. I had not yet seen her.                                                  I'm retired and hunt about every day morning or evening. On Tuesday I hunted till noon and would come back later. I was coming out of uncut high weed field when I saw two deer running toward me in the woods ahead. I dropped to my knees, nocked an arrow and pulled my head net over my face. The doe came into the field first and I saw she had the collar on, she came right to me and passed to my left 2 ft or so. Of course I no intention of shooting her as she passed I looked back and she was being chased by a small 6 point buck. I've had seen better deer and wasn't going to shoot him either. He stopped about 8yds from me and looked real hard in my direction.
     Then I felt something touching my right shoulder. I looked to my right and the doe had her head against my shoulder and was nuzzling me.I looked right into her eye at about 10". I looked back and the buck was gone.I don't know where he went but I guess he wanted nothing to do with the doe's new boy friend. I laid my bow down and stood up the doe just stood there with me. I reached out and touch her hips,then her shoulder and eventually was scratching behind her ears and petting her. She was really friendly, I checked the collar to see if was to tight and for ID, there was none.
    She stayed with me for about 20 minutes as I caressed her. I took some cell phone pictures but being alone I couldn't get her and me except me petting behind her ears. I guess she was seeking refuge from the harassing buck. After she had caught her breath she just walked away into the high weed field and I went to my truck with the memory of an incredable experence.  
    She was probably raised by someone from a fawn who could no longer take care of her and just let her go. I feel sorry for her because she doesn't have much of a chance in the cruel world of nature but who knows maybe she will beat the odds and make it anyway.            
      Thinking back maybe I should have tied her up under my tree stand. Ha Ha
God doesn't need me to be who he is but I need God to be who I need to be

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Strange but Awesome Tuesday
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 02:30:00 PM »
That is amazing!!!
Todd Trahan
All of Creation Gives God Glory!

Offline Igor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 02:34:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing....wild animals as pets...just never works out...remember my cousins and some racoons...cute as babies...anyway thanks for sharing that was a great story....

><>>
Glenn
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding In all your ways submit to him and he will direct your paths

Offline bigb3303

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 02:37:00 PM »
Thats awsome! A farmer may have run her over with a mower, as a fawn and then raised her. My grandfater did that. he as pics of a little spike as a pet, and they put a red vest on it. He said he didnt know what ever happend to it , becouse it was free to roam the farm , the rut came, and it was gone for good. Might have got killed by a hunter who knows but pretty cool!

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 02:45:00 PM »
Don't see that happen every day.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2013, 03:44:00 PM »
Quiet an experience I'm sure. I look for some of the ones I'm hunting to come in for a rub down..I know they must see me as a friend no more than I kill.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2013, 05:27:00 PM »
Pretty unique experience.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Dogboy900

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2013, 05:42:00 PM »
I am sure I saw a post on here about someone who collared and released a hand raised deer. Will see if i can find it...

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=132578;p=1

I didn't quite have it right but she was his neighbours pet.

Online Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2013, 05:53:00 PM »
I heard a story about a friend of a friend who went bow hunting for the first time. A doe showed up and stood under his tree. Wracked with buck fever the guy emptied his quiver at the deer and never touched a hair.

Standing in his treestand with an empty quiver he noticed that a young girl had come out of a house across the field. The girl yelled "Fluffy" and the doe ran directly to her. The guy was overjoyed he didn't kill what turned out to be this young girl's pet deer.

Offline Bobby Urban

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2013, 06:33:00 PM »
A pet doe in heat would be the ultimate lure/decoy.  Train her to walk around the property and come back to your stand ever 1/2 hr or so for a sugar cube :-)

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2013, 06:42:00 PM »
Great story! x2 on pet doe in heat decoy. It could be the next big thing!
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2013, 06:51:00 PM »
You should have rubbed your boots on her butt! Better than TINKS!
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2013, 07:02:00 PM »
See the above post and link.

I see Zoey all the time while hunting.  She is about 4 yrs old and doing fine.  She is my live decoy.  I am sure your doe will do fine as long as nobody miss identify's her.  You can see Zoey's collar is bright orange.
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline JAG

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2013, 07:29:00 PM »
Angela and I raised a doe from a baby.  She still had her navel cord when she was brought to us.  A friend had seen the doe hit on the road and stopped and found the fawn.
We named her JaneDoe.  Had a collar on her, but never put her in a pen.  She grew up raised two fawns, and then left the area.
We really loved her, a special pet.
I've got stories of her in a dove field, going from dove hunter to dove hunter, getting hand outs.
Sure do miss her.
Johnny
IBEP - Chairman Alabama
"May The Good Lord Keep Your Bow Arm Strong and Your Heart and Arrows True!"
TGMM Family of the Bow
PBS Regular Member
Compton Member

Online non-typical

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2013, 07:34:00 PM »
What a neat experience.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Tradgang member #160

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2013, 08:05:00 PM »
the woodland spirits still roam the forest. Count your self lucky for you most likely will never have another experience like that one!
Make a life, not a living

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2013, 08:21:00 PM »
Man that is cool!
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2013, 10:33:00 PM »
Tha's cool! I think it would have scared the heck out of me when she touched me like that!

Bisch

Offline far rider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2013, 11:23:00 PM »
That's truly amazing! I think that will be one of those stories you can tell at the Thanksgiving table, amaze the kids, but none of the adults would believe. Really cool.
Noli rogare pro onia pauciora, rogate pro scapulas latiores.

I go afield with bent wood, stick and string in search of serenity  through my primal quest.

Venatôr

Offline T-Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2013, 07:30:00 AM »
Amazing Story! thanks for sharing.
William

JD Berry Valor 66” 45@28
Great Northern Bush Bow 62" 47@28"
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement