3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Light weight outerwear for colder weather  (Read 582 times)

Offline TexasStick81

• Trad Bowhunter
Light weight outerwear for colder weather
« on: November 23, 2013, 03:40:00 PM »
Hey guys,

I have some heavier duty cabelas wool with nice cabelas thermals but I'm wanting to find something less bulky.  It's not that cold here in TX often.  I'd like something that will keep me warm in 30 degree weather with thermals underneath.  It'd be great if they had light weight gloves to match.  I like pants and a pullover.  Suggestions?
Centaur Triple Carbon 60" 55@29

"Only that day dawns to which we are awake"

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
Re: Light weight outerwear for colder weather
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2013, 04:18:00 PM »
An Asbell wool pullover or zip up would work great.  It's just wool with no other liner so it breathes and keeps you warm without making you sweat.  I wear one in FL during cold days.  Lol, I actually just listed one, since I want one in a different color.  Or check out all the colors on GFred's site.  Traditional Woodsman actually just listed a sale on them also.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2013, 04:21:00 PM »
At those temps I just wear cargos and fleece with a base layer. I throw a Cabelas rag wool sweater and a hand muff in my pack and I'm good to go.
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2013, 05:03:00 PM »
Same here..... Asbell Zip Up in Timber Ghost, 400gr Ulfrotte' wool longjohns and I am good to go 90% of the time unless there is a stiff wind. Then I switch top layer to my Cabelas windproof sweater or my Gray Wolf Woolens vest that is Comformax and windlined.

Should be around 25 here in the morning and I am wearing my Ulfrotte', 100% merino wool goodwill sweater, then my Asbell on top. Bottoms are Ulfrotte', then Predator windproof Fall gray fleece pants. Tops are not heavy on their own but with three layers of wool I will be toasty warm.......  :coffee:
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline Nathan Killen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2013, 06:54:00 PM »
Sitka gear ! I know its expensive stuff.....but I took the plunge this year and I'm very happy ! No more bulky layers for me !
Genesis 21:20 And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer. ->>>---------------->

Jesus is my lord and savior, Who is he to you ?

60" Little Mountain built by Ethan Rodrigue

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2013, 07:22:00 PM »
I sold my heavier King of the Mount for this very reason. Asbell wool vest with a Pendleton wool shirt works great for me. On colder days I might throw on some light weight merino wool underwear as well. I highly recommend the Asbell wool for this part of the country. Good luck and good hunting.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2013, 07:23:00 PM »
I like Sitka gear as well. I may order some KUIU tomorrow before the 25% sale is over.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2013, 07:54:00 PM »
I agree with Asbell wool.  Layer as much or as little as you need.  

ChuckC

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2013, 08:45:00 PM »
Oh how I wish it was that warm here!! The wind liner is a good thing to remember as mentioned earlier.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2013, 09:09:00 PM »
At those temps, I usually layer with a silk base layer, fairly light wool long john layer topped off by a relatively light jacket (often my Cabelas rain gear jacket). A commando sweater wears easily under the jacket if a bit more warmth is needed but adds little bulk. Layers can be added or taken away if the temp changes. Above all, good wool socks are crucial, as is a warm hat. Remember the old adage, "If your feet are cold, put on your hat."

Also, I have been using Asbell's as well as  La Clair's wool over a light under layer both with good results.

It sounds like your temps are similar to my local conditions, and I have found that it is often best to carry in some of these items, putting them on when I get to the stand. If I sweat on the way in, I will be uncomfortable no matter how I dress.
Sam

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2013, 10:20:00 PM »
Sam gives good advice about hats and carrying your layers in..... Lots of times I do not put my top layers on until I have been on stand for 30 mins or so to completely cool off. I go in with only my longjohns on the top and carry everything else.
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline Hattrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2013, 10:25:00 PM »
I second silk as a base. I always dress light and carrry a wool top if needed.
Bull

Offline Cootling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2013, 10:31:00 PM »
At 30 degrees, I wear a merino wool top, wool shirt, wool vest, and a windproof uninsulated Russell outdoors shell.  Plenty warm and no bulk.

Offline TexasStick81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2013, 11:31:00 PM »
I'm appreciating all the feedback guys, keep it coming.  I'll be looking into each option mentioned.
Centaur Triple Carbon 60" 55@29

"Only that day dawns to which we are awake"

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2013, 12:50:00 AM »
Zane, i wear wool base layers and then a woolrich shirt.  If it's really cold have a second (thicker) woolrich shirt to wear. I also have a wool vest that i got for $4 at goodwill.

That keeps me warm in anything texas has to offer.  I could use a pair of good wool pants for those really cold days though.....all in all, i stay pretty warm. Wool has been a God send compared to what I used to wear. My toes get cold sometimes, but that's about it.

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2013, 06:11:00 AM »
Asbell wool here too
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2013, 08:17:00 AM »
I have finally figured out that it isn't much fun to hunt in below zero weather. For the last couple of years, when it is zero to 15, some heavy Asbell wool with a wool sweater underneath combined with wool pants and long johns keep me happy in the woods. I use the chem heat packs for hands and toes, and a Stormy Kromer type hat along with a wool face gaitor.
Now, at my tender age, I have decided that others can fight below zero weather. In Texas, you probably won't ever have to face that kind of cold, so some good wool and maybe some heat packs should do the trick on your coldest days.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline limbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2013, 08:25:00 AM »
Ulfrotte 400 tops/bottoms--Light weight but produce an incredible amount of heat/warmth. Kuiu Superdown pants and jacket under my KOM wool and I am good to go in temps below 20*.

A good hand muff will take you a long way while on stand in cooler temps, highly recommend it.
Kevin Osworth
->>>--TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Offline momo-t

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2013, 10:34:00 AM »
-24 Celsius, brisk wind,5 hours in treestand yesterday.
Had to come down,not cause of being cold,because of family comitements.  The secret...

Sure the Ulfrotte baselayer,down vest,Hidden Wolf woolens all contribute but the main ingredient,

"Heater body suit".

Mo
Hill Big Five
2 Bear Longbows,  Montana/ Bruin

Cari-bow Silverfox longbow
The harder I work
The luckier I get

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2013, 10:35:00 AM »
At 30' I stay inside, within two feet of a roaring fire...

I don't take off my longjohns until July or August when I take my annual bath, lol...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©