3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: "Mushy stuff" and a Manly Man named Fred!  (Read 649 times)

Offline Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
"Mushy stuff" and a Manly Man named Fred!
« on: November 23, 2013, 05:57:00 PM »
Well as I type this I have to "not" get too Mushy as my good friend 1/4 Away Fred tells me but here I go and this may be long but please stay with me an follow the long rabbit trail I'm about to take you all on...
Several years ago I was searching Tradgang  and saw a really nice looking Hoot's recurve that a member here had a picture of and that bow had some very pretty woods in it so I asked the fella "what were the wood he had in the Hoots"?
Well I get a P.M from the gentleman letting me know the woods and they were macassar Ebony and Bocote and what a combo it was and a friendship     developed right here that day...
I couldn't get that bow off my mind and it just made me hunger for Lee Hoots to craft me one but  I Had "No extra spending money" due to adopting three orphaned little girls that needed a Forever home so the bow was out of the question for now..
 Well since I needed money to purchace the Hoots I
had mentioned this to 1/4 away Fred and his answer          just cracked me up an went something like this "It's easier to ask for forgiveness later then to ask for permission now !    :saywhat:   when something pretty comes along like a bow so he see's this Dale Dye and just purchased it..
Now in between the Dye and the Diablo I was trying my hardest to get me a Diablo or super diablo on the big auction site for a birthday present but got outbidded each time an my max could only be $175.00 max as hammered in stone by my dear wife    :knothead:  
Well I did finaly win the bid on a  Howatt Hi-Speed and when all done and shipped it was exactly $175.00 to my door.
As Fred and I continued to tell each other about other Super Diablos we both saw Fred got that itch  again for a really sweet one that he just had to have and he won that bid and just got it this past week and has showed pics of it on here also...It's very mint with the case also...
Now here's the part that I had to take you all through the rabbit trail to get to.
 Just this past Thursday I came home exhausted from a long day at work and sick with a sinus  infection and like many when we get home the first thing we do is check the mail..
In the  box was two pink notes that explained to me I missed a package that needed a signature and If I called the mail lady she just may be in the area and I could meet her and pic it up...I first thought my wife can get the "Whatever it is     package" herself cause it's probally some fruit basket or something "woman related" anyway But   something told me to be nice and go get the package like a good husband should do..
So as my first two girls got off the bus we headed to the post office cause the mail lady had        a full box of message's stored up and I couldn't leave her one to meet her close by...
As I entered the post office with my pink slip My           girls were asking a million  questions like "What is it Daddy" and I said :dunno:I didn't send it..
 Well the clerk went back and brought out this   Big long box which had a pic of a shop light on it and was from "Don forever stainless" in Wisconsin?
I thought I ain't ordered no stupid lights for my shop but heck it's addressed to me and I'm holding the winning pink ticket so it's mine now and besides I could use a new shop light...
Well as I was putting it in the truck I thought it was light to have a shop light in it an my brain went in Overdrive and so did my girls asking me this"Daddy did you buy a bow wiffout Mommy knowin bout it"?
I said "No only my good friend 1/4away Fred would do such a thing" not me cause I am afraid of Mommy and what will happen when she found out.
  Funny when you wonder what is in the box so as I  arrive home I go into my shop and with 3 pair of hands the box was open and I proceed to pull out a bowsock.
 As I started to wonder why I was receiving a bow and from Don in Wis. Who I had no clue to whom he was other then my newest bestest friend I couldn't figure out why would someone send this to me..
Then as I got to the middle of the bow there was an envelope attached to the riser over some bubble wrap and written to Keefers...
Inside  the note were these words typed..
 Keith,
      Now don't go getting all mushy on me but I want you to have this bow.Actually,my plan(I told you I had a plan)was to send this to you when I received my Rose oak.But now that I have a Super Diablo I really don't need another bow with similar specs.Besides,both of you were born the same year and you deserve each other.Consider it a belated birthday present for my bestest buddy.
                      Enjoy! FRED...

I have yet to have met 1/4 Away Fred and this isn't the first time Fred has gifted me something but God knows Fred's heart and Fred has always been a pleasent helpful and unselfish gentleman with a caring passion for others ...I could never repay such a fine gift like the 1963 50# Diablo that Fred gifted me but what meant so much more to me then the diablo was Fred's heart and the Letter he written to me and calling me his "bestest buddy"..God Bless you Fred and I hope I wasn't too "Mushy"1    :campfire:  
           Your "bestest buddy"
                 Keefers <")))><

Offline CoilSpring

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: "Mushy stuff" and a Manly Man named Fred!
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2013, 06:23:00 PM »
"...and there is a friend that is closer than a brother."    

I'd day you both are blessed men to have such a great friendship.  Just in time for Thanksgiving, too.
CoilSpring

Offline limbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2013, 06:23:00 PM »
Wellllll,not to get mushy but things like this restores my faith in humanity.Congrats on the new vintage bow and on having a great bestest buddy.  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

Offline Got2strum

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2013, 06:35:00 PM »
That is very nice. It is amazing how one can become such great friends with someone simply through the internet. I know I've "met" some great guys on here over the years myself. Good stuff

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2013, 06:38:00 PM »
Damn son! i got all choked up and threw down my guns reading this story.... Btw... you write a good story too...  "1/4 away Fred" is a great handle too.  

Will the real 1/4 away Fred please step forward and take a bow.... Not a "B---Oh" a bough... like on stage here....

excellent story!    :clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2013, 07:01:00 PM »
How cool is this?....Way!!...... I'm saying!!!!

:archer:
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2013, 07:19:00 PM »
:thumbsup:     :notworthy:

Offline jmrsyrs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2013, 07:26:00 PM »
:thumbsup:   Great story - one of a kind friend.

Online Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2013, 07:27:00 PM »
:clapper: ....     :clapper:
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2013, 07:28:00 PM »
Awesome! Pictures of the bow?

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2013, 07:38:00 PM »
Amazing , just amazing
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2013, 07:45:00 PM »
Forgot to mention while taking everyone through the "Rabbit Trail" Fred purposely sent the diablo in the box he just received his Dale Dye in and left the senders address from "Don Forever stainless steel" on the box so it would throw me off till I got the letter inside..Fred being a retired police detective sure knows how to throw the intended suspect off wondering what was going on the whole time till He got me "Red Handed"...He did indeed tell me he had a plan that when his new Super Diablo came in his wife wouldn't know cause only one would still be hanging on the bowrack    :thumbsup:

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2013, 07:53:00 PM »
Good rabbit trail. Better than being on a rabbit hunt, for me, anyway.

Thanks for posting!!
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline PICKNGRIN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2013, 07:59:00 PM »
Now you got me "all mushy"!!!  Another fine example of the caliber of people you get to know on this site!!  A great story.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2013, 08:38:00 PM »
Fred,PM sent.  Hope youll be my freind too  ;)    :p  

Fred's a good egg.

Keith, Congrats on your new bow and your freindship!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2013, 08:57:00 PM »
Congrats!!! It is great to have friends!
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline mooshkat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2013, 07:11:00 AM »
I too had a very good experience on this site, with someone i dont know. i answered an ad for a set of 3 Black Rhino kids bows, he wanted to sell as a set,i had recently just bought a howatt hi-speed on here, so money was a little tight. I ask if he would consider any trades, he told me he sold the heavier and longer bow of the 3, and wanted to know if these were intended for my kids, i told him there were for my grandkids, he responded by saying send me $15 for shipping and i will send you the bows, they are on there way. i sent a note with the money telling him when my grandkids are grown out of these bows i will do the same. There are some very special people on this site and i hope everyone comes to appreciate them all and all that take care of this site. Thank-you Bryan Hall for the gift of bows.    Dave
59 kodiak purpleheart
Bear takedowns A and B
59 Kodiak maple
Dwyer Original, Stewart Slammer, Bear Cub, TT Black Magic, RC Extremes, selfbows

Offline Carcajou

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2013, 08:07:00 AM »
Fred is a great dude, always has been !
" MEMBER ~ COMPTON Traditional Bowhunters "

"Searching through the remnants of my dream-shattered sleep"

Offline T-Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2013, 08:59:00 AM »
:clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:
William

JD Berry Valor 66” 45@28
Great Northern Bush Bow 62" 47@28"
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida

Online 1/4 away

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2013, 01:02:00 PM »
Here you go..  

Do not follow where the path may lead.  Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©