3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Archery Merit Badge - ca. 1911  (Read 614 times)

Offline Amberjack

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Archery Merit Badge - ca. 1911
« on: November 23, 2013, 09:22:00 PM »
So I was in the Milwaukee Cabela's the other day and after a casual stroll through the deer and elk mount museum (impressive) I picked up a copy of the first Boy Scout Handbook, printed in 1911 (along with a bag of jerky) to read on the plane back home.
It's not my intention to review this book here, but take it from me it's a very interesting read and includes, among other things, a letter from then former President (and honorary Vice-President of Scouting) Theodore Roosevelt in support of the newly formed Scouting organization.  Very cool.

So, for your reading pleasure - here is a little bit of the section on Archery in general and the requirements for the very first Archery merit badge, circa 1911.

Archery
Woodcraft, the oldest of all sciences and one of the best, has steadily declined since the coming of the gun and it is entirely due to this same unbridled power that America has lost so many of her fine game animals.
The bow is a far less destructive weapon, and to succeed at all in the chase the bowman must be a double-read forester. The bow is silent and sends the arrow with exactly the same power that the bowman puts into it - no more, no less - so it is really his own power that speeds the arrow. There is no question as to which hunter has the right to the game or is responsible for the shot when the arrow is there to tell.  The gun stands for little skill, irresistible force applied from an outside source, overwhelmingly unfair odds, and sure death to the victim.  The bow, on the other hand, stands for all that is clever and fine in woodcraft; so, no guns or fire-arms of any kind are allowed in our boy scout camp.  

(what follows is more woodcraft philosophy, a short history about and in praise of archery, bowyering and fletching as well as instructions for the boy on how to make a bow and arrows including suggested woods to use.)

The Archery Merit Badge
To obtain a merit badge for archery a scout must...
1. Make a bow and arrow which will shoot a distance of 100 feet with fair precision.
2. Make a total score of 350 with 60 shots in one or two meets, using standard four-foot target at forty yards or three-foot target at thirty yards.
3. Make a total score of 300 with 72 arrows, using standard target at a distance of fifty yards.
4. Shoot so far and so fast as to have six arrows in the air at once.

For those interested in a copy of this book, the publisher is Skyhorse. I have no interest in the sale or proceeds of this book.

AJ
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
"Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me" Gen 27:3
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->>>

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Archery Merit Badge - ca. 1911
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2013, 09:28:00 PM »
That's really neat AJ, thanks.  I wonder, how many of us could complete all 4 - not many I think.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2013, 09:35:00 PM »
That is cool! Thanks for the post!
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, 09:20:00 AM »
wow,  #4 might be tough.  Can I be standing on the top of a mountain ridge at the moment I shoot ?

Merit badges, like many things, were designed to be tough to achieve.  To require work and dedication and some skill / knowledge.  Like always, we find ways around that.

ChuckC

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2013, 09:37:00 AM »
"4. Shoot so far and so fast as to have six arrows in the air at once."

Yikes! I fail!

Even if I could shoot the scores at the distances in the first three steps, there is no way I could ever get number 4 done!

Bisch

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2013, 09:39:00 AM »
Anyone have the current Archery merit badge requirements?  I'd be curious to see a then and now comparison.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline Jason Kendall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2013, 09:55:00 AM »
January, 2012
Requirements for the Archery merit badge:
Do the following:
State and explain the Range Safety Rules:
Three safety rules when on the shooting line
Three safety rules when retrieving arrows
The four whistle commands used on a range and their related verbal commands
State and explain the general safety rules for archery. Demonstrate how to safely carry arrows in your hands.
Tell about your local and state laws for owning and using archery tackle.
Do the following:
Name and point out the parts of an arrow.
Describe three or more different types of arrows.
Name the four principle materials for making arrow shafts.
Make a complete arrow from a bare shaft.
Explain how to properly care for and store arrows.
Do the following:
Explain how to proper care for and store tabs, arm guards, shooting gloves, and quivers.
Explain the following terms: cast, draw weight, string height (fistmele), aiming, spine, mechanical release, freestyle, and barebow.
Make a bowstring.
Explain the following:
The importance of obedience to a range officer or other person in charge of a range
The difference between an end and a round
The differences among field, target, and 3-D archery
How the five-color National Archery Association (NAA) or Federation Internationale de Tir a l'Arc (FITA) target is scored
How the National Field Archery Association (NFAA) black-and-white field targets and blue indoor targets are scored
The elimination system used in Olympic archery competition
Do ONE of the following options:
Option A - Using a Recurve Bow or Longbow
Name and Point to the parts of the recurve or longbow you are shooting.
Explain how to properly care for and store recurve bows and longbows.
Show the nine steps of good shooting for the recurve bow or longbow you are shooting.
Demonstrate the proper way to string a recurve bow or longbow.
Locate and mark with dental floss, crimp-on, or other method, the nocking point on the bowstring of the bow you are using.
Do ONE of the following:
Using a recurve or longbow and arrows with a finger release, shoot a single round of ONE of the following BSA, NAA,or NFAA rounds:
An NFAA field round of 4 targets and make a score of 60 points
A BSA Scout field round of 14 targets and make a score of 80 points
A Junior indoor* round I and make a score of 180 points
A FITA/NAA indoor* round and make a score of 80 points
An NFAA indoor* round and make a score of 50 points
Shooting 30 arrows in five-arrow ends at an 80-centimeter (32-inch) five-color target at 15 yards and using the 10 scoring regions, make a score of 150.
As a member of the NAA's Junior Olympic Development Program (JOAD), qualify as a Yeoman, Junior Bowman, and Bowman.
As a member of the NFAA's Junior Division, earn a Cub or Youth 100-score Progression patch.

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2013, 02:11:00 PM »
Looks like BSA doesn't accept/encourage/endorse wheelie bows!!!
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline BAPilot2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2013, 02:36:00 PM »
Sounds like today's emphasis is more about rules and regulations and less about learning to be proficient and competent.

It speaks volumes of society as a whole!

Offline Jason Kendall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2013, 02:46:00 PM »
Where I found the above info there was a whole other section on compounds, I just didnt copy it and post it here.

Offline Traditional-Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2013, 07:17:00 PM »
Compounds are not allowed to qualify at the BSA level for a merit badge, I am a past Scoutmaster for six years and a archery merit badge councilor.
Of course the rules have changed, they have changed for all Merit badges, it’s for the kids safety, even though most boys are sixteen or older when they challenge this merit badge there are cases where a boy could be younger. Needless to say, for a boy that their parents don’t hunt or shoot a bow the safety part of the merit badge is greatly needed.

My troop bought blank stave’s from one of our own and built their long bows and build their own arrows, it was as rewarding to me as it was to them any day of the week, and twice on Sunday.
The amount of work put into this merit badge is very time consuming and hard. It’s not an easy merit badge to complete if done right that is the key. Each merit badge is only as rewarding and complete as the councilor is proficient in guiding the Scouts through the badge. Today I see many problems in the Scouting program one of the hardest to watch is the merit badge program. You are not to teach but to guide and there is a difference and a fine line.

Bruce  

:archer2:
We are what we do repeatedly. Execellence is, therefore, not an act but a habit.  

Artistole (384-322 B.C.)
Philosopher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2013, 07:26:00 PM »
And I would like to add, if BAPilot2 would like to see if the boys are proficient and competent with a bow please come to the ETAR shoot and judge for yourself these boys can shoot.

:laughing:      :archer2:  

AJ thank's for posting

TA
We are what we do repeatedly. Execellence is, therefore, not an act but a habit.  

Artistole (384-322 B.C.)
Philosopher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2013, 07:46:00 PM »

Artistole (384-322 B.C.)
Philosopher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2013, 07:47:00 PM »

Artistole (384-322 B.C.)
Philosopher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2013, 07:48:00 PM »
How is this for his first self bow

Artistole (384-322 B.C.)
Philosopher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2013, 07:50:00 PM »
That is this young mans bow he built with his father, never shot a bow before

Artistole (384-322 B.C.)
Philosopher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2013, 07:52:00 PM »

Artistole (384-322 B.C.)
Philosopher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2013, 07:56:00 PM »

Artistole (384-322 B.C.)
Philosopher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2013, 07:57:00 PM »
All of the archers above never shot a bow before, the older gentleman is a man that helped his son build a bow and built himself one as well and they are archery crazy now.

Artistole (384-322 B.C.)
Philosopher

Offline Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2013, 08:06:00 PM »
excellent information we need to archive this - I will look for that book.

I remember when the boy scouts dropped the hunting merit badge and replaced it with a biology merit badge. I had already figured out I didn't fit in  :)  and now I know why - I can make a bow!!!! LOL

<><
<----------------<<<<<<<<
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©