3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bittersweet Afternoon Hunt  (Read 479 times)

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
Bittersweet Afternoon Hunt
« on: November 24, 2013, 02:57:00 PM »
I'm always sad on the last Saturday before our deer rifle season begins on Monday of the week of Thanksgiving. Sunday hunting is not legal in the counties that I choose to hunt... and I hunt pretty much Trad bow ONLY.

Although bow season doesn't "officially" end until December 31... it is VERY tough to bow hunt in the areas I hunt in after 2 weeks of rifle season. There are also rifle "antlerless" seasons and ML season after our rifle season. The deer become scattered and "holed up" in the thickest, remotest places they can find.

Yesterday was like my "last day to bowhunt" for the reason stated above.

I started out in early afternoon (12:30pm). Began working my way up through the hollow of oaks.Our acorns did not "hit" this year and the deer have stayed "near the grass" this season.

The oak patch was select cut last year and there are lots of treetops left scattered about. I like to still hunt from tree top pile to tree top pile. They make good "temporary stand sites" as I hunt my way into or across the prevailing wind.

Here is a pic of the type of terrain I hunt.

56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bittersweet Afternoon Hunt
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 03:04:00 PM »
A short way up the east side of a north/south hollow, I caught movement across and low in the hollow. It was a deer running north to south.

The rut is full on now in this area and anytime you see deer running... especially at 1:30 in the afternoon... it gets your attention.

I watched as an "alpha" doe stepped into the small stream below me. It was probably 150 yards away... but the 10X50s allowed a close up view. The big doe headed north, traveling up the stream bed and out of sight. I noticed her looking back up the hill before she stepped out of sight. I knew there was another deer coming and expected it to be a buck since she had been running.
WVBA Member

Offline dhermon85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 03:10:00 PM »
:campfire:

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, 03:14:00 PM »

In a few seconds the second deer appeared. It was a spike buck. He too kept looking back behind him and I expected another buck to show. Instead, a second doe followed him the same direction that the first doe had gone in.

In a few minutes I seen the white of a deers rump running on up the hollow. Definite rut activity going on there.

My plan was to hunt my way up around the head of the hollow, below a "saddle" and down the adjacent ridge to an area we call the "greenbriers". It is a bedding area that is very thick. I had my 3 legged stool on my day pack and had planned to set up near a large scrape I had found last week.
WVBA Member

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2013, 03:18:00 PM »
Before reaching the head of the hollow, I came upon a fresh rub.

Here is a close up.

WVBA Member

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2013, 03:23:00 PM »
I was keeping a sharp eye out across the hollow as I knew the deer that I had seen earlier were headed that general direction. It wasn't long before I caught another flash of white as the doe deaded up the adjacent hill and then abruptly turned south up higher on the hillside.

I sat still as I was now within 100 yards of them and was expecting to see more deer anytime. I expected that they might cross to my side as it seems they like to run in the open oaks (I presume that is because they can see danger easier in the more open woods).

Then I seen something 15 yards to my left that I have never seen in 50 years of hunting.

A piebald squirrel!

WVBA Member

Online South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2013, 03:26:00 PM »
And?
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2013, 03:40:00 PM »
The deer appeared to have moved south on the ridge that I had planned to hunt for the evening. It was a blustery fall day with high temperature in the high 30s with overnight lows in the teens to low 20s. Predominant wind was out of the south pretty steady.. but strong gusts would kick up from time to time out of the north. That kind of ruined my plan to hunt the north south ridge adjacent to me... where the deer seemed to be doing their running. The wind was steady from the south when I had made my plans at the beginning of the hunt.

Then it happened. As I was moving around the head of the hollow below the saddle, a crash directly behind me got my attention. As I turned slowly around... 15-20 yards behind me were two bucks. The smaller one was typical for our area... a "basket racked" 8 point (maybe a 12" inside spread). But directly behind him was a dandy!

They had apparently caught my sent as they seemed puzzled, not knowing exactly where I was. Unfortunately I was in the wide open oaks with no cover around. The leafy suit top and face paint seemed to be working. But before I could raise my bow they jumped the neighbors fence and took a couple of bounds up the hill and stopped.

I grunted as I thought of nothing else to do under the circumstances. The big boy took note and was searching all around me with his eyes but hadn't picked my out. What I had failed to realize is that a hot doe had come through ahead of them and I hadn't even heard her.

They eventually headed up the hill and I finally seen the doe that was leading them away.
WVBA Member

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2013, 03:48:00 PM »
They stopped again and I found myself putting my arrow back in the quiver and reaching for my camera.

I couldn't get it out quickly enough as they quickly continued their running up over the ridge. As I stood there putting my camera back into my left pocket... I looked up to see a nice bodied six point following the exact same course the other bucks (and apparently the doe) had followed. He was sniffing and panting with his nose on the ground. He was also gone as he jumped the fence and followed the path the other deer had taken.

I ended up seeing a couple of small does on my evening sit... but they were both this years runts.

Sorry to disappoint you with no game taken. Just thought I would share my experience.

I'll sit with a grand daughter the first day of rifle season and then take the bow back out the second week as things begin to calm down a little.

Whenever I go into the woods I have a sweet time. Oh yeah... I almost forgot. The big boy sported 10 points evenly distributed and carried on a rack probably 18-20". Real nice for my area.

Thanks for letting me share.
WVBA Member

Offline treepasser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2013, 04:24:00 PM »
A day of action sure beats sitting in empty and
forlorn woods.

Online South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2013, 04:28:00 PM »
Great afternoon no doubt!
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2013, 05:04:00 PM »
Thanks FOR sharing.
Enjoyed it, as it sounds you did. Lots of anticipation involved.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2013, 05:30:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing … any day in woods is a great day,game taken or not    :thumbsup:
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline T-Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2013, 07:16:00 PM »
Great Day in the Woods, thanks for sharing.
William

JD Berry Valor 66” 45@28
Great Northern Bush Bow 62" 47@28"
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida

Offline Cookus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2013, 09:00:00 PM »
Good  post brother and my fellow mountaineer.  God bless and enjoy every moment with your granddaughter on the morrow!  The older I get, the more I appreciate those oh-so-close traditional bowhunting encounters.  I enjoy success but the experience means so much more at 45 and 31 seasons passed! I too will sit with my nephew tomorrow... Trad lessons will start when the snow falls since he's enamored by trad's simple beauty and legacy.  Thank you for your service brother!
West Virginia Bowhunters Association
PBS Associate Member

« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2013, 09:17:00 PM »
Thst squirrel was cool looking! I hope you get a crack at that 10pt!

Bisch

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2013, 09:19:00 PM »
Thanks for the positive comments. Good luck out there!
WVBA Member

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2013, 09:24:00 PM »
Bisch: That squirrel looked like a skinny skunk coming down that tree! I've seen "black" squirrels but that was my first piebald one.
WVBA Member

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2013, 09:38:00 PM »
That sounds like it was a fun hunt! Thanks for taking us along.
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline tradarcher816

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2013, 09:39:00 PM »
Very cool thanks for sharing
Love God, Love your neighbor.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©