3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Michigan deer season  (Read 1917 times)

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Michigan deer season
« Reply #60 on: November 27, 2013, 07:55:00 PM »
Mojostick, you are going to have a hard time convincing some people, but I spent 20 years hunting in Germany and I participated in a Sanctuary inventory drive once. Both areas have a lot in common. They ARE heavily and carefully managed and both cost a lot to hunt. There is little hunting pressure in either Germany or the Sanctuary. Deer herds can be managed on public land, but the majority of hunters would not like the restrictions.

I think the DNR COULD successfully manage our herds a lot better, but they are revenue driven by license sales. The customer is always right, even when he isn't  :(
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: November 27, 2013, 07:56:00 PM »
Steve O is correct....the Michigan DNRE has no clue about the deer population OR how many are killed each year...they ONLY know how much money the sale of licenses brings in...AND I for one, honestly believe that they do not reveal the true amount of money they take in from it.

THANK GOD...the wonderful Whitetail is as resilient as they are...only during the period of market hunting were they under more pressure than they are NOW!

Habitat is NOT an issue where I hunt...I can assure you of that!...it is OVERHARVEST...plain and simple. When there is THIS much money at stake, it will not change!

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: November 27, 2013, 08:43:00 PM »
We the hunters manage the deer herd. The DNR/NRC can only setup the framework in which we release the arrow and squeeze the trigger. The onus is on us.
Anyhow, people have their minds made up. For me, my glass is half full and I have nothing but great hopes for the future. Have a happy turkey day and give thanks!

Offline Chain2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: November 28, 2013, 12:18:00 PM »
Where I live the general consensus is that the DNR manages the entire state like it was Kent co. We see very little habitat improvement other than timbering. I remember when I was a young man we timbered, cleared and seeded places. ( 70's & 80's) they made great areas to hunt. Happy Turkey Day everyone.
"Windage and elevation Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation..."

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: November 28, 2013, 10:16:00 PM »
This is a fun thread to read!  Thanks for the input, most of it mirrors my sentiments in hunting here 25 years, and plenty on public land.

1)  DNR is clueless for deer numbers or harvest. The estimates are bull.
2)  Officers don't leave their heated trucks.
3)  In all the years of hunting in MI, I HAVE NEVER SEEN A HABITAT IMPROVEMENT PROJECT outside of tree cutting!!!!!!!!  EVER!!!!!!!!
 I think clear cuts are great and important, but really are for revenue in the eyes of DNR and I don't qualify them as a project for deer or animals. It's secondary to $$. Only with waterfowl have I seen improvements, and rarely at that. Tree cutting alone isn't the answer, although I know it helps.

Also, 2 tracks open to vehicles are everywhere...absolutely everywhere.  You can barely work hard enough to find some solitude anymore, unless you go to the UP or other areas almost void of animals.

What's really frustrating is the lower opportunity for my kids to have a great experience like I had on public lands. When the permission I now have on private land goes away, I don't know what I'll do. Work really really hard I guess!

« Reply #65 on: November 29, 2013, 10:00:00 AM »
Originally posted by Mojostick:
We the hunters manage the deer herd. The DNR/NRC can only setup the framework in which we release the arrow and squeeze the trigger. The onus is on us.
Couldn't agree more.  That is why the DNR/NRC should set up a framework based on what is healthy for the deer herd,  and then let each hunter make the decision on what to release and arrow and squeeze the trigger on.

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: November 29, 2013, 11:23:00 AM »
I don't want to be the wet blanket on the bash the DNR fun, but somebody has to do it.    ;)  

I'll make this my post on this thread because these debates are often like discussing religion and politics. People have their minds made up and it's typically easier to look for a scapegoat than into the mirror.

Having worked in the Michigan sporting goods business for roughly 20 years and also worked with deer biologists, there are a few small facts that most bar stool conspiracy Michigan deer hunters don't want to hear.

The number one fact is most of our 650,000 deer hunters are ignorant about deer management or deer numbers other than the few hours they spend afield each season. The average Michigan deer hunter doesn't even know what carry capacity is, let alone the CC for the land they visit for a day or two in November. The truth is, the field biologists have forgotten more about deer than 95% of the recreationalists think they know. MDNR law enforcement officers are just that, law enforcement. CO's don't make regs anymore than policemen write the laws.

Also, DNR biologists don't write the rules, they only have some input of suggestion. In Michigan, the Natural Resources Commission makes most rules and the Michigan Legislature, not the DNR, raises license fee's. The DNR has the least power in Lansing, compared to the NRC and Legislature.

In a state of 650,000, the rules must be more defined. More and more deer hunters are asking that the rules be defined. In the last 3 surveys, a super majority has asked for rule changes so we're all working in the same direction. While the onus is on us, it's to do the right thing on the trigger, because we kill the deer, not the DNR. But the right thing means making decisions differently than have been made over the past 50 years. Game regulations help shape behavior and decisions.

In a state like Michigan, the rules aren't made for the hard core deer hunter. No, our rules are made for the near 60% of Michigan deer hunters who buy their tag the day before firearms opener and hunt only the first 2 days of the season. So, if we are to better manage the deer, we must make it so the average Joe can become a better management tool by simply following the rules, instead of blindly making a decision, often based on peer pressure and a complete misunderstanding of the biology of the herd. Think of all those guys who "cull" a scrubby yearling buck, all the while thinking they did the herd a good thing. Or those who won't shoot a doe because they "just killed 3 deer". Or those who think feeding an already overpopulated herd is a good thing.

Most Michigan deer hunters alive today started hunting in the 1980's and 90's, when the deer boom was at peak. They think those years were normal. Worse, they think those deer numbers were totally acceptable, as long as they could go to even the worst deer habitat and see deer. Those days are over, just as the housing boom is over.

From talking to biologists, you'll learn that daylight activity decreases in a more balanced herd because the deer don't have to work so hard for food. It's stressed herds where deer are seeking food at 1pm or that run into a bait pile at the sound of the tailgate closing. So, a 30% reduction in the deer herd could result in a 50% reduction in sightings. Also, with a 30% reduction in herd size, the 50% of land out there that is and always was marginal deer habitat may now have almost no daylight deer activity. In the past, it was large deer herds that pushed deer onto most marginal public land. And keep in mind why a lot of public land is public. It's because it was so poor that no settlers wanted it for farming or anything else. All the good soiled land was settled and the junk acidic sandy land was left.

Expecting 650,000 deer hunters to make up their own rules, when most are only afield a few days in a forest hours away from home is like saying that we're going to let drivers make up their own alcohol/drunk driving guidelines and they can also decide their own speed limit.

The majority of Michigan deer hunters never see the stress of the herd in the Winter or can tell the difference of how the northern forest is slowly converting from a landscape of browse species that can sustain a huntable deer herd for our children and a landscape slowing converting to shade tolerant and non-preferred plant species. If you want to end public land deer hunting for our kids, don't worry about PETA or HSUS, just keep doing what we're doing and the forest will eventually be mainly beech, scotch pine and autumn olive and we won't have to worry about many deer being there at all.

While many public land hunters sense something is wrong, they can't put the pieces together as to why and they wrongly blame MDNR. It's hunters demands that have done the most damage. It's the way things had been done is what got us here.

Something else many don't understand is, a main reason the state actively liberalized antlerless tags is the TB outbreak and the fear that TB would get established in the southern Michigan deer herds and impact the billion dollar livestock industry. But it was demands of hunters who were a cause of those herds and regulations in the 1990's.  

So, there is a well known cause and effect going on here. The state of public land hunting in Michigan didn't happen in a vacuum. What's maddening and frustrating is that the folks who complain the most are typically the same folks that demand more of the same rules that got them to their present situation.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: November 29, 2013, 12:10:00 PM »
I would agree with Mojostick on most everything he has said "IF"...

If I have EVER encountered a biologist ANYWHERE afield in Michigan during my 35 years hunting in Michigan.

If I was able to be shown that the herd reduction actually was only 30% or 40%, but again, actual deer densities are a complete myth or mystery to the DNRE, the biologists, OR the NRC.

If I didn`t know that the NRC was made up of APPOINTED individuals, and I as a citizen have never been shown their credentials to make said decisions.

I was at many meetings held by the DNR in the late nineties, regarding the TB problem and the proposed regulations used to stop the spread of it...in the end, the "Club Country" in the N.E. that CREATED the TB problem by SEVERE overpopulation STILL has an overpopulation of deer and the surrounding public land had been decimated. The attitude the members of the DNR had for the public who attended these meetings was VERY poor at best, and many of my friends who were there for those early meetings STILL talk about it. They basically set in stone a severe mistrust of the DNR and their motives.

Most of the areas I hunt in the N.E. lower penninsula are Federal lands...compare STATE land logging and replacement timber to FEDERAL and you will see...the STATE is managing forests as a cash crop, allowing the regrowth to be that of pulp wood...no select cut, just clear cut. Wildlife management is, at best, secondary on state lands.

The DNR, in my opinion, is BANKING on the adaptable whitetail as a cash crop...and the whitetail actually does a fantastic job. I will agree that deer numbers WERE too high, for many years...but I will NOW argue that the DNR is blatantly negligent in how they are managing numbers now. I will in fact argue, that the status and respect deer once had, has been damaged by the evident waste that I saw/see occur during the early and late antlerless seasons of the last several years.

It is indeed US hunters who have the ultimate control, but when the time comes, all I can do is NOT shoot a deer in order to protect a diminished herd?

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: December 03, 2013, 02:32:00 AM »
This is a very interesting thread! Although I don't agree with everything that has been said, it has been insightful, and I enjoyed reading everyone's opinions. I would really love to sit down as a group and discuss this with everyone. It's nice reading posts, but it's not the same as having an intelligent conversation with immediate feedback.

Ps. Everyone that bow hunts in Michigan, should join the Michigan Bowhunters association, and the like minded clubs! It's a great way to unite for a common cause!
Plant a fruit or nut tree today, and have good hunting tomorrow.
=}}}}}-----------------------------}>

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: December 03, 2013, 08:37:00 AM »
Here is a fact we all have to accept.

The folks in the agencies, the game and fish biologists, went to school, did internships, did a lot of background in order to be chosen.  There are many graduates in the wildlife management / game biology and related fields, and only a few jobs.  They know their field, much better than we do.

They know what they need to know.

Once they take a job with an agency, all bets are off on letting them actually do something meaningful.  They have some authorities and powers, but face it, the DNR (whatever your state calls it) is NOT run by the biologists.

Come on folks, if you are a welder by trade and I come up and say "your welding sucks,  I welded once in high school so I know"... does that hit home well ?

I read, somewhere, of a guy who called and ragged out the DNR biologist about the deer, says he has hunted for 50 years and he knows.  The DNR spokeswomen asked what he did for a living, "I run a water treatment facility" was his response.

She asked if she could come run it for a day for him and he laughed, and she said.. "hey, I've been drinking water all my life"....  

Sure, complain, the system isn't working, but instead of ONLY complaining we need to work on getting the situation changed so that they CAN do their jobs.  They want to.

We all win then

ChuckC

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: December 03, 2013, 09:14:00 AM »
ChuckC what would you suggest we do in Michigan.

We have friends that have a hunting camp in north east Wisconsin near the Michigan border and has been a bow hunter for many years.  He considers his season a success if he sees more than 5 deer a season, in Wisconsin.

Offline NEB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: December 03, 2013, 09:23:00 AM »
Gentlemen,

I am a wildlife biologist, but I am a private consultant and do not work for a state DNR.  However, if you want something to happen in your state then you need to contact your state representative.  The DNR is scientific in nature, but everything they do or don't do is politically driven.  On a lighter note, traditional archery lends itself to great fun in the woods and that is what we need to remain focused on.  The deer numbers will come back either naturally or man-induced.

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: December 03, 2013, 09:49:00 AM »
I mentioned last week that I'd refrain from posting anymore on this thread because I was fearful that it could become a little hot, which these Michigan deer debates can become. But in true tradgang fashion, this thread has been very civil.

So, with that said, I think the endless tug of war between Michigan deer hunters and MDNR is that Michigan deer hunters see "more deer" as the gauge of DNR success. Meaning, if a hunter goes out and see's 40 deer on a sit, he thinks the DNR has done a great job. If that hunter goes out and see 2 deer in 3 days, the DNR biologists are bums. To many hunters, a DMU with 60 deer per mile is akin to Heaven.

Meanwhile, the DNR biologists are charged with managing the natural resources, yet having to use hunters as the tool to manage the most desired, yet most destructive game animal in the state. To them, a DMU with 60 deer per mile is a failure and a disaster waiting to happen.

Here's a good link from the last population goal plan. You can click on every county and learn a lot about what MDNR would like to see in each county...
   http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10363_10856_10905-129948--,00.html  

To illustrate how long the biologists have battled the masses of Michigan deer hunters, look at these cartoons from 1959. They were drawn by biologist Oscar "Oz" Warbach. What's funny is, even things have changed from the DNR standpoint since 1959. In 1959, the "deer managers/DNR" saw themselves as the managers and the hunters were the hunters. What we now know is, like it or not, we're all deer managers if we deer hunt. We all make some type of management decision whether we decide to shoot or not shoot, bait or not bait, pass or not pass, etc.

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: December 03, 2013, 10:03:00 AM »
Every deer hunter in Michigan should read this link provided. It's written by Brent Rudolph, MDNR Deer and Elk Program Leader.

In fact, any deer hunter in any state who wonders why DNR's often make certain decisions should read the link, it's really good. It discusses the hard task of finding the middle ground between the hard reality of nature vs. the desires of hunters and economic factors.

Population Biology, Abundance, and Management History of Michigan White-tailed Deer

http://michigansaf.org/Tours/05Deer/02-Rudolph.pdf

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: December 03, 2013, 10:34:00 PM »
My absolutely biggest complaint about MI revolves around the lack of habitat improvement for not only deer, but all critters.  We pay so much $$ in license fees alone, there has got to be some return.  It's not about numbers, animal numbers follow habitat as has been stated for all species of animals.  Habitat of our state lands is getting worse all the time.  Autumn olive plantings come to mind as a horrible attempt at "improvement".  Nice try. At this point it isn't unknown how to do it, just that nothing is being done. So 15% of the potential state lands actually is used by critters! and the rest is just pretty in the fall...

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: December 04, 2013, 12:21:00 AM »
Matt,
The answer to the public land problem isn't a good one. Northern Michigan public land became a deer paradise due to the timber booms of 2-6 generations ago.

At one time, Grand Rapids, Michigan was the furniture making capital of the USA. That was all do to access to virgin timber via waterway.

Here's a little insight to the massive amounts of cutting done, which had the by-product of creating a small 50-70 year window of making traditionally marginal deer forest into a lush, younger deer Mecca. The northern woods is slowly reverting back to what it's been for many 1000's of years, more marginal deer habitat with lower deer densities than most 20th century Michigan deer hunters grew used to seeing...
   http://www.agilewriter.com/History/Mi_lumber.htm  

Logging companies often did not confine their cutting to the area they had purchased. There was the practice of "logging a round forty," which meant buying forty acres and then cutting the timber around it in all directions far beyond the boundaries of the area to which title had been secured. By 1900 most of the pine in the Lower Peninsula was gone. Pine logging in the Upper Peninsula began to assume greater importance in the 1880s, and the virgin stands lasted until about 1920. The peak of Michigan’s great timber harvest was reached in 1889-1890 when mills cut a total of 5.5 billion board feet of lumber, mostly pine.

By the boom’s end, logging had stripped 19.5 million acres, none of which was replanted, leaving vast tracts of barren wasteland. The lumber barons attempted to unload the now worthless land by setting up demonstration farms, using large amounts of fertilizer to convince unsuspecting buyers that the soil was suitable for farming. Many small plots were sold to people who put up their life savings, only to find out after a couple of unproductive growing seasons that they had been cheated. Most of the barren land couldn’t be sold under any circumstances and it reverted to state ownership as the lumber barons abandoned it because they didn’t want to continue paying taxes on it.

During the depression of the 1930s, one of the projects assigned to the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), made up of out-of-work young men, was to repair the damage done to the nation’s forests by clear-cutting. The CCC planted millions of seedlings and over time most of Michigan’s barren areas were reforested. However, some areas known as "stump prairies" still exist, even though it has been over a century since they were stripped of trees.

Today, over half of Michigan’s land mass is covered by forests. Logging, which never disappeared altogether, continues, especially in the state’s northern counties, but it is being done very selectively, to preserve and protect the remaining old-growth forests. Tree farming began in 1941, and now accounts for the overwhelming majority of the nearly 675 million board-feet of lumber that Michigan produces annually. Michigan also produces over 15 million Christmas trees each year, representing approximately 15% of the nation’s supply.

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: December 04, 2013, 12:24:00 AM »
Here's another good read any Michigan deer hunter should find interesting...

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10363_10856_10905-28543--,00.html

ELIMINATION OF MARKET HUNTING  

Prior to settlement, Michigan had an abundant deer herd in the south. The mixture of hardwoods, wetlands, bogs and forest openings was perfect for deer. There were few deer in the virgin forests of the north, which were inhabited mostly by elk and moose. The mature trees were so dense that sunlight could not reach the forest floor. Little deer food was available in these virgin forests. As farmers and settlers moved into southern Michigan, deer were exterminated by removal of cover and by unregulated shooting. Deer were mostly gone by 1870. Logging of forests in the north produced an opposite effect--more openings, brush, and young forests. As the northern herd climbed to estimated 1 million deer in the 1880s, the abundance fostered a public attitude that this resource was inexhaustible.

Logging camps of 100 to 200 men used venison as the primary source of meat for months at a time. Railroads that had been developed to facilitate the timber market also provided transportation of game meat to Eastern markets. Railroads also provided access for hunters into the wilderness. Market hunters slaughtered hundreds of thousands of deer for the sale of venison. Usually, the hindquarters and legs (saddles) were shipped during the fall of the year with the rest of the deer discarded. In summer, market hunters sometimes killed deer for just the hides. Hunting methods commonly involved the use of dog packs, the killing of deer at night by shining (deer are momentarily blinded with lights), and the shooting of deer while they were swimming in the water.

Early measures to control market hunting were not very successful. The first deer law of 1859 eliminated year-round killing and set a seven-month season for taking deer. However, there was no bag limit or restriction of the method of take. Sporting clubs became outraged at the slaughter of game by the market hunting industry. They realized the need to form a statewide group with sufficient membership to lobby against commercial hunting interests. In 1875, the first meeting of the Michigan Sportsmen's Association (MSA) was held in Detroit.

The MSA lobbied for a bill to make it illegal to sell game out of state, as modeled after a bill in Illinois. Debate from commercial hunting interests was intense. The Legislature sided with industry against the "kid-gloved sportsmen." The formal legislative conclusion was that there was insufficient data on the extent of market hunting to document a need for legislation. Mr. Roney, Secretary of the MSA, spent the next three years collecting data from hunters, railroads, and restaurants. He reported in 1880 that 70,000 deer were killed in Michigan. Sportsmen took a reported 4,000, compared to 66,000 by market hunters. About half of the venison (an estimated 5 million pounds) was shipped out of state. As a result of this analysis, a bill restricting sale of Michigan game meat in other states became law in 1881.

The MSA had other successes in affecting game policies and laws by working with state government. The length of the hunting season was shortened to five months in 1881, at which time it was also made illegal to kill deer in the red or spotted coat or while in water. It was also unlawful to use pits, pitfalls, or traps in the taking of deer. In 1887, a law was passed making it illegal to use dogs or lights for taking deer. Also, the state's first game warden was hired in 1887.

Legislative activity to control market hunting culminated with an 1895 law, which really marked the beginning of deer management in Michigan. The open deer hunting season was established to be November 1 through 25. A bag limit of five deer was set. A license was also required to hunt deer.

Probably more important than the law itself was the public demand for regulation and conservation of deer. Public compliance with regulation was enhanced with better laws and better prosecution of game violators. The attitude that people could work through their state government to conserve deer led to many rule changes decreasing the bag limit and indiscriminate hunting methods. Ultimately, though, it took a federal law (the Lacey Act of 1900) to put an end to the market hunting industry by making it a federal violation to ship game across state lines.

PROTECTION  

An early approach to deer regulation was complete closure of specific counties to deer hunting for a period of three to ten years. This extreme method of increasing deer numbers was common in the late 1890s until the early 1920s, at which time deer hunting was illegal in almost 1/3 of Michigan counties. One can imagine the legislative debates about closing of a county to deer hunting for several years.

There was also a reduction in the number of days that hunters could take deer. Season dates were changed several times until 1925, when November 15 through 30 was determined to be the best time for hunting deer. It is interesting to note that except for failed experiments with Saturday openers and split seasons between 1962 and 1967, the firearm season of November 15 through 30 has remained the same for more than half a century.

Although there were few deer hunters at the turn of the century (from 14,499 licenses sold in 1895 to 21,239 in 1915 ), many of these hunters were very efficient at taking deer. The deer harvest during these years averaged about 12,000. Thus, there was interest in reducing the bag limit of successful hunters as a method to manage deer. The Legislature reduced the bag limit from five deer in 1895 to three in 1901, two in 1905, and to one deer in 1915. But then, there was a serious debate over the Department recommendation that hunters should be allowed to take only one buck. Game Commissioner William R. Oates argued that a "buck law" was needed because the deer herd was not increasing even with the elimination of market hunting The Commissioner estimated that there were only 45,000 deer in Michigan in 1914. Rather than provide for complete county closures to deer hunting for up to ten years, it was recommended that regulations be changed so that only antlered deer could be taken by hunters.

Mr. George Shiras III, a wildlife expert of the times, wrote an article supporting the "buck law" which appeared in the Marquette Mining Journal. Regardless of the opinions of Commissioner Oates or Deer Biologist Shiras, the Legislature did not, at first, accept the recommendation for a "buck law." The decade-long debate continued until the "buck law" became effective in 1921. As we shall see, the Department sold the "buck law" so well that it would result in the destruction of deer range and create serious deer population and public education problems for many years to come.

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: December 04, 2013, 12:26:00 AM »
ADVENT OF SCIENTIFIC DEER MANAGEMENT  

Hunters in Michigan had also lobbied for discretionary authority to be provided to the Public Domain Commission (precursor to the DNR) by the Legislature. The lack of a timely response to the serious drop in ruffed grouse in the Upper Peninsula was used as a case study to show the need for discretionary authority. The Michigan Legislature did even more than provide discretionary authority. Act 17, P.A. 1921, created a State Department of Conservation to include the former Michigan State Parks Commission, Board of Geological Survey, State Board of Fish Commissioners, State Game, Fish, and Forest Fire Commission, and the Public Domain Commission.

In 1928, the Game Division was established within the Department of Conservation. With technical personnel in a special organization, scientific data began to form much of the basis for decision-making. Our basic knowledge of the white-tailed deer and its habitat expanded as Michigan made a major contribution to the scientific literature on deer.

Studies were begun on conducting drives to census deer. Sighting rates of bucks, does, and fawns seen per 100 hours were recorded by conservation officers while on patrol in deer territory. Studies were completed to correlate skull and antler characteristics with age of deer. Browse surveys were done in deeryards to estimate winter food and cover. Diseases and parasitism were researched to monitor herd health. Hunter surveys were started to obtain better data on the annual harvest.

Scientific game management expanded even more in 1937 with the passage of the Pittman-Robertson Act for Federal Aid in Wildlife Restoration. This act collected a federal excise tax on hunting arms and ammunition to be returned to the state for research, land acquisition, and habitat development. Full-time wildlife research biologists were hired by the Department and housed at research stations. Some of these researchers, like Mr. Louis .1. Verme and Mr. John J. Ozoga, became international experts in the nutrition, physiology, and behavior of white-tailed deer.

At the same time scientific studies were being done, the deer herd began to rebound. Some of the increase was due to habitat changes as logged-over areas produced deer browse. Shrubs and other deer foods developed in many areas that had been cleared for agriculture but abandoned. There was also an impact of the no-dog rule, the "buck law", and what was known to hunters as the "Shiras gun law" (this law prohibited the carrying of firearms in deer territory during the closed season.)

By 1930, the abundance of deer was recognized. The first discussion of deer-vehicle accidents began. Hunters complained that the "woods was full of dry does", and that maybe the "buck law,' should be changed. There was also a significant amount of winter starvation and over-browsing in cedar swamps where field investigators reported a shortage of food and cover for the growing herd. By 1936, hunters were complaining about low buck-to-doe ratios.

A crop damage committee was formed in the late 1930s to include representatives of hunting and agricultural groups. Mr. Ilo Bartlett, the state's first deer biologist, reported that there were 1.125 million deer in the state in 1937 (about 1/3 of which were in the Upper Peninsula and 2/3 in the northern Lower Peninsula- only a very few deer were present in southern Michigan). He began to talk about the "Deer Problem."

DEER HABITAT ACQUISITION  

The Department of Conservation recognized that there were two solutions to the deer problem of the late 1930s:
1.Reduce deer numbers to balance the herd with the range, and
2.Provide more and better deer range to sustain habitat on a long-range basis.

There were many discussions about changing the "buck law" and also about ways to provide more hunting lands for deer. In 1931 a law was passed to earmark $1.50 for land acquisition from each deer license sold. These funds were often used to purchase tax-reverted lands because of farming failures or hardships of the Great Depression. About 700,000 of the 3.8 million acres of state forest lands were purchased with funds from hunting licenses. In the early years of the Pittman-Robertson Program, a large share of federal aid money was used to purchase game lands in southern Michigan.

Despite the state's attempt to provide more hunting lands and to place more deer habitat in public ownership, the deer problem continued until the herd peaked at about 1.5 million deer in the late 1940s.

REINSTATEMENT OF ANTLERLESS DEER HUNTING  

A decade of carrying more than 1 million animals with bucks-only hunting severely damaged the habitat. Deeryards became death traps for deer, where they came for cover but had no food. The reproductive rate of nutritionally stressed does was poor, as was the survival rate of fawns born in late May and early June.

In 1941, for the first time since the "buck law" of 1921, antlerless deer were taken in an experimental hunt in a 37-square-mile parcel in Allegan County after the regular season. Hunters were selected by drawing.

Also in 1941, the camp deer license was liberalized. Before that time, four or more hunters could apply to take an extra buck for use as camp meat. The 1941 rule allowed that camp deer be either sex. The number of camp deer taken increased from several hundred to 17,100 in 1941. Sportsmen and nonhunters reacted so negatively that the either-sex camp deer law was repealed.

Small antlerless hunts were also held after the regular seasons in a few deer damage areas in 1949, 1950, and 1951. A major antlerless season was held in 1952 in the northern Lower Peninsula north of Highway M-20. No permit was required. Any licensed hunter could take a deer of either sex during the last three days of the season (November 28 through 30). A total of 95,810 antlerless deer was taken, which many hunters considered to be too many. There is still talk in northern Lower Peninsula deer camps about the "slaughter of 1952." It was reported that a truckload of letters came to Lansing, one of which was signed in doe blood.

After the public reaction, the Department changed to an area and quota system to take antlerless deer, which has been maintained today. For example, in 1956, Deer Management Unit 2 included parts of Mason, Lake, and Newaygo counties. A total of 4,270 Hunter's Choice (either sex) permits was issued in Unit 2 for use during the regular November 15 through 30 season. The Department and public liked the idea of focusing the antlerless harvest by specific numbers of permits issued for specific units, rather than the open season for any hunter across the entire region, as was done in 1952. In 1956, the first antlerless deer hunting since 1920 was opened in the Upper Peninsula in four small deer management units. Mr. David A. Arnold and Mr. Joseph E. Vogt, deer management experts with the Department, worked diligently to gain support for antlerless deer hunting. By 1965, almost all of the land in the Upper and northern Lower peninsulas and about 1/3 of the land in southern Michigan was open to antlerless deer hunting. A total of 227,314 permits was made available in 58 units.

During this time of increased antlerless deer hunting, the habitat for deer collapsed. Some of this was due to heavy browsing of deer between 1940 and 1960. Most habitat deterioration was due to forest succession. Mature stands of timber began to appear on lands that had been formerly logged. The heavy leaf cover in the canopies of the mature trees prevented sunlight from reaching the forest floor. Thus, there was little food for deer to eat in the mature forests. Also, there was not much logging to produce browse for deer.

This combination of decreasing deer numbers due to habitat change, along with significant antlerless deer harvests, sent a confusing message to the public. Many individuals attributed the decreasing herd to the antlerless hunting because they were unaware or did not believe information concerning the habitat crash. Habitat was not much of a problem in southern Michigan. All deer hunting had been closed in southern Michigan from 1930 to 1941, when Allegan County was opened. By 1943, for the first time in 70 years, deer could be found in every county. The southern herd increased from 15,000 deer in 1949 to 85,000 by 1972. Even the increased presence of deer in southern Michigan did not affect a major decline in the herd from 1.5 million in 1949 to 0.5 million in 1972. Two generations of deer hunters reacted as they had been taught by the Department-return to a "buck law." A few hunters, however, understood the real problem in the 1970s and pursued a more important solution.

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: December 04, 2013, 12:28:00 AM »
DEER RANGE IMPROVEMENT  

Due to the leadership skills of Wildlife Division Chief Merrill (Pete) Petoskey and the technical knowledge of Staff Biologist John Byelich, the Department of Conservation developed a Deer Range Improvement Program (DRIP). Act 106, P.A. 1971, provided that $1.50 be earmarked from each deer hunting license "for the purpose of improving and maintaining habitat for deer, for the acquisition of land required for an effective program of deer habitat management, and for payment of ad valorem taxes on lands acquired under this section." A goal of 1 million deer was established for spring 1981.

Priority townships were identified with the most potential for deer habitat improvement. Forest cover guidelines were established to outline ideal mixtures of tree species, age classes of trees, forest openings, and winter cover. At first, the Department invested heavily in bulldozers and field personnel to complete on-the-ground projects because the timber market was weak in most areas. With the increased opportunity to complete deer range work through commercial forestry, more Department money was provided for salaries of wildlife personnel to work with state and federal foresters to plan forest treatments.

About $20 million was invested in habitat improvements for deer from 1972 to 1987. Specific impacts included the creation, seeding, cultivation, and maintenance of more than 70,000 acres of forest openings. A total of 5,113 acres of critical deer range was purchased with DRIP funds. More than 137,292 acres of land were improved through direct cuttings or residual treatments of timber stands to benefit deer and other species. Wildlife personnel evaluated and planned forest treatments on more than 550,000 acres during this time.

Deer range improvement was also accelerated by an increase in the timber market in northern Michigan and increased agriculture in deer territory. A series of mild winters in the 1980s and artificial feeding of deer by the public further propelled the herd to a new peak of 2 million deer in 1989. Signs of distress in the herd appeared again. The percentage of spikes among yearling bucks in the Upper Peninsula exceeded 50 percent. Many yearling bucks had dressed-weights of less than 100 pounds. Survivorship of fawns from June to October was as low as 40 percent in some areas. A hard winter of 1985/86 resulted in the winter loss of an estimated 125,000 deer. Deer-vehicle accidents exceeded 40,000 per year with an average of 5 people killed and 1,500 injured each year. Crop damage reappeared, and an ad hoc committee of agricultural and hunting interests was formed once again. Also, hunters once again began complaining about the low buck-to-doe ratio.

A SMALLER DEER HERD WITH A HIGHER PERCENTAGE OF BUCKS  

In the late 1980s, the Department of Natural Resources reaffirmed its goal of 1.3 million deer in the fall herd (which was biologically the same as the 1971 goal of 1 million deer in the spring herd). However, a new dimension was added by specifying that 35 percent of this fall herd should ideally be antlered bucks. Increased hunting of antlerless deer was encouraged by quota and area to thin adult doe herds. In 1989' the Hunter's Choice license was changed to a bonus Antlerless-only license. The number of antlerless deer hunting licenses was increased from the tens of thousands issued annually in the 1970s to a peak of 322,890 in 1990. The herd responded as was intended-there were 20 percent fewer deer in fall 1993 as there were in 1989.

The heightened opportunity to take antlerless deer reduced the hunting pressure exclusively devoted to bucks. Thinning the herd also increased fawn survival so that more 1½-year-old bucks were recruited into the fall herd in the 1990s, compared to the 1960s. In 1991, the bag limit for bucks was reduced from four (two in archery plus two in firearm or muzzleloading seasons) to two bucks in all seasons combined. Many hunters thought that the buck harvest should be restricted even more, and proposals were developed to drop the second buck license or to make it illegal to tag a spikehorn with a buck license. There was much discussion about application of "quality deer management" from the Southeastern states to Michigan.

Some tough choices are ahead if we continue to aspire to a herd with 35 percent antlered bucks in the fall population. We have reached the point where further increases in antlerless deer harvest will not have much impact on the buck-to-doe ratio. To further improve the percentage of bucks in the fall herd, we will have to find acceptable ways to reduce the buck harvest.

Continued bucks-only hunting to rebuild herds may complicate the problem by placing all of the hunting pressure on antlered deer. That will decrease the buck-to-doe ratio and eventually return us to the situation where we started in the mid-1980s. Now, we should evaluate regulations that will allow the careful taking of specified numbers of antlerless deer in areas with smaller herds. We need to consider the advantages and disadvantages of regulations to reduce buck harvest in ways that are acceptable to hunters and landowners.

Methods of handling deer crop damage were also changed in the late 1980s as a result of recommendations from Department field personnel and from the Ad Hoc Deer Damage Committee. The Legislature and Commission have repeatedly concluded that the best solution to crop damage is recreational hunting, rather than trapping, compensation, or birth control.

In keeping with this policy, a "block permit program" was tested in 1987 and initiated statewide in 1989. This program allowed landowners, with a history of significant deer damage documented by the Department, to receive by for distribution to licensed hunters. Thus, nuisance deer could be taken during the regular season from areas with known crop damage instead of from anywhere within a deer management unit of several hundred square miles.

Out-of-season killing of deer, illegal kill, and "gut shooting" were reduced by providing opportunities to take deer with block permits during the regular season. Block permits also allowed the state to have more deer in problem areas instead of reducing the herd in a large deer management unit. Problem "hot spots" could be handled with block permits. Although the number of deer taken on these licenses was small (10,000 to 15,000 annually) from a statewide perspective, landowners with damage were pleased with the ability to control local economic losses from deer. Block permits were used to encourage hunting in some metropolitan areas and nature centers where it was difficult to obtain enough antlerless licenses at specific sites. The 1980s and 1990s have also provided some new technologies and new policy issues for deer range improvement. The reduction of thermal cover in cedar and hemlock deeryards, especially on private land in the Upper Peninsula, increased winter losses of deer and reduced deer numbers in several local sites. The Department initiated a lowland conifer regeneration program in 1991 to encourage regeneration in yards where deer were scare, but the yard once held large numbers of deer. An inventory of lowland conifers was completed in 1994 by the Department, through a contract with Maclean Consultants Ltd. This work involved mapping of deer thermal cover by satellite imagery on all lands (private, state, and federal) in the Upper Peninsula. This information will provide direction for deer habitat improvements during the next decade.

Completion of state forest plans in the Escanaba and Pere Marquette forests and for the three federal forests in Michigan also provided some new opportunities to place deer range improvement in a larger context of landscape planning, conservation of biodiversity, and ecosystem management. The Department's experience in deer range improvement during the past 20 years has taught us the importance of managing vegetative communities, rather than just deer. Deer management has also taught us that the hardest species to include in ecosystem management is Homo sapiens. The recreationist and concerned citizen must not be excluded from the landscape planning process.

The build-up of deer in urban and suburban areas had also been a challenge in the past decade. These deer herds were often in places like airports or golf courses or subdivisions where lethal control was unpopular. The constituents who got involved in these issues were often subdivision residents or others with little hunting experience. As a result, local decision-makers often ignored the problem or selected trapping, birth control, or other nonlethal solutions to pursue. Other than fencing, these nonlethal control methods were usually unsuccessful or impractical, and lethal controls were eventually applied. Management of deer in urban and suburban settings will provide many future opportunities for public education and involvement.

One final issue of the past decade has involved the management of social conflicts between hunting groups with different characteristics, hunting methods, or values. For example, deer hunters that do not bowhunt expressed a concern about the fairness of allocation in the harvest. Deer hunters that do bait complained about the territoriality of baiters or ethics of baiting or the image of hunting being tarnished by those using that method. Muzzleloaders questioned the use of scopes on firearms that they felt should be primitive. Hunters without access to private land complained about the increased opportunities that some hunters had to take antlerless deer or large bucks.

These kinds of social issues were by no means new in deer management. What was new, though, was the attitudes of people that state government should intervene in matters beyond the biology of deer or management of habitat. To date, there is a feeling in the Department that hunters need to discuss and resolve these issues among themselves and then ask their government to act accordingly. However, biological and ecological issues are perceived differently. State government has a legal mandate and moral responsibility to act, even if contrary to public will, where the integrity of the resource is threatened. Thus, the real challenge of the future of deer management will be to carefully sort out the social from biological, to respond to the will of the public for the former, and to take leadership, even if unpopular, for the latter.

SUMMARY  

This brochure has shown the dedication of Michigan hunters in supporting deer management during the past century.

Michigan hunters have supplied millions of dollars for the development of hunting regulations based on scientific data. They have also provided funds to enforce those rules in the field. Millions of dollars have been contributed for the acquisition of land and for the improvement of deer habitat on those lands. In many cases, legislative action to protect deer, acquire land, and improve deer range has been initiated by hunters themselves. This partnership among the Michigan deer hunter, the Department of Natural Resources, and the Michigan Legislature speaks well of our ability as citizens to work together through state government to manage wildlife. There is no question that the Michigan deer herd will generate considerable discussion and debate in the future. Such debate is essential to develop management procedures to keep our deer herd and deer range in good condition.

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: December 04, 2013, 09:02:00 AM »
I hope I'm not getting too much into the weeds with some of this research paper stuff, but the basis of the research really is the crux of the problem of hunters not trusting the DNR.

This is a really interesting look into the thoughts of deer hunters. While it's from Wisconsin, the Midwest attitudes are very similar.
  http://www.uwsp.edu/cnr/Wildlife/faculty/Holsman/DNR%20Credibility%20Report_Holsman%202009.pdf  

Here's a part that pertains to the conversation we're having here. I pasted the excerpts from another site...

"Hunters in this study acknowledged the importance of biological carrying capacity (BCC) in process of establishing deer population goals, but they appeared to differ dramatically from agency conventional wisdom about the current state of the deer population in relation to their habitat. When asked how much weight should be given the concepts of BCC, public acceptance capacity and hunter preference, BCC received the highest weighted average, slightly edging hunter preferences 39% to 35%. Yet, three out of four deer hunters believed deer populations in their DMU at are at or below biological carrying capacity; over half (53%) believed deer are below the BCC (Figure 14). Only 13% responded that deer numbers were above the BCC. These numbers were obtained even after a formal definition of BCC was provided in the preface to the question (see Appendix A).

Four in ten hunters believed that unless a large number of deer starved in the winter, then they were not overpopulated. Forty-four disagreed that “visible browse lines in the woods indicate that we have too many deer”. Based on the responses to these two measures, it would suggest that most hunters lack the capacity to evaluate or perceive deer impacts that degrade the long-range productivity of the habitat. (Bold by me)  Four in ten hunters believed that unless a large number of deer starved in the winter, then they were not overpopulated. Forty-four disagreed that “visible browse lines in the woods indicate that we have too many deer”. Based on the responses to these two measures, it would suggest that most hunters lack the capacity to evaluate or perceive deer impacts that degrade the long-range productivity of the habitat. One of the great outreach challenges of wildlife management is to develop skills among landowners and hunters to recognize the signs of overabundant deer when the mere presence of high densities seems to suggest that the land is capable of “carrying” those animals."

"Focus group results suggested that hunters believe that insurance companies in Wisconsin wield powerful influence over the DNR when it comes to setting deer quotas. Indeed, the questionnaire data showed that two out of three respondents believed this to be true."

"But perhaps more telling were the 50% who agreed that managers
 distort deer numbers to justify larger harvests."

I asked 4 questions to measure wolf attitudes among hunters, including their belief regarding agency involvement in “transplanting wolves” to establish their population. A clearly majority of hunters (56%) believed that the DNR is responsible for bringing wolves here and only 8% disagreed with this idea. Despite the facts that wolf populations returned naturally to Wisconsin in the 1970‟s through immigration from Minnesota, the DNR-wolf myth runs deep among Wisconsin hunters. The agency clearly needs to aggressively address this misconception.

One of the most surprising findings of this study deals geographic differences in wolf attitudes. I expected attitudes toward wolves to be the most negative in the Northern and Western regions where wolf packs are well established. Instead those living in the Eastern Farmland region expressed the highest degree of anti-wolf sentiment (Table 21). Again, this appears to be driven by recreational landowners whose attitudes are more negative with anything associated with DNR. In essence, hunter dislike of wolves may a function of the symbolism of what wolves represent as much as from personal, negative encounters with them. Deer hunters who own land for the purpose of hunting were more likely to indicate that wolf reduction would improve agency credibility. Differences in wolf attitude can be explained partially by education levels. There is linear correlation whereby attitudes toward wolves become more favorable as education increases.

More misconceptions and irrational behavior. Recreational landowners in the eastern farmland region have the highest hatred towards wolves even when they don't have to deal with the wolves. The majority of hunters also believe the WDNR deliberately planted the wolves in Northern Wisconsin. The Eastern Farmland Region also has the highest distaste for the DNR... despite having some of the highest deer population densities in the state.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©