3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Spirit longbows?  (Read 282 times)

Offline tomsm44

• Trad Bowhunter
Spirit longbows?
« on: November 25, 2013, 10:47:00 AM »
Been thinking about downgrading/upgrading to a longbow from my recurve but don't want to spend what most of the really nice custom ones cost.  I've talked on here with Mike from Mad Dog Archery and will likely end up going with his prairie predator simply because its only $250 and everything I've heard about his bows has been good.  I was looking at RMSgear.com's used bow inventory and see quite a few Spirit longbows that are listed as new that are around $500.  Any of you guys ever had any experience with these bows?  Hard to tell from the pictures but I'm thinking they look like a R/D.  All are listed as 62", so I guess they are probably more like Mikes full size longbow which goes for about $450.  I doubt there would be much performance difference between these and Mikes but the Spirit's they have listed look a little "fancier" than Mikes. (clear glass, multiple woods in the riser, leather wrapped grip) Just curious if any of you could tell me anything about them.  It might be worth the extra $50 vs. Mike's full size to get the fancier features, but since I was looking at about a 58-60" prairie predator instead of the full size, I'm not sure it would be worth doubling the price.

Thanks,
Matt Toms
Matt Toms

Flatwoods Custom R/D:  64", 47@28
'66 Kodiak: 60", 55@28
Redwing Hunter:  58", 53@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 47@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 42@28
Hoots Recurve:  56", 42@28

Offline Tav

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Spirit longbows?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 10:55:00 AM »
One of the best longbows i ever shot was a spirit. i didn't buy it because I was after a recurve. I would call RMSgear and talk to those guys before you buy anything. they are great to deal with.

Offline sveltri

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 11:45:00 AM »
I'm not sure what poundage you're looking for but I think they have a used 52# Spirit for around $425 at RMSGear.  I shot it a couple weeks ago and really liked the bow.

Offline tomsm44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 11:49:00 AM »
I'm shooting a 53# recurve and want to get a longbow in the 47-50# range.  I might be willing to go a little over 50# if the right deal presents itself.  Looks good so far for these bows.  Two responses and both are positive.  That's going to make my decision that much harder.
Matt Toms

Flatwoods Custom R/D:  64", 47@28
'66 Kodiak: 60", 55@28
Redwing Hunter:  58", 53@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 47@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 42@28
Hoots Recurve:  56", 42@28

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 11:51:00 AM »
Gonna send you a PM.......

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Online MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 12:10:00 PM »
I had a post about the Spirit longbow a while back, I think I had saw one for sale and it caught my eye. I never got one but had nothing but positive comments about them.
There have been some great buys lately in the classifieds.
Good luck whatever you decide on
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline Bernie B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2013, 04:45:00 PM »
I shoot a Spirit longbow and a Spirit recurve (rare).  They are very well made bows!  Bryan Holley has the bow making business down to a science and an art.  He sells his bows through RMSG.  If something happened to either of my Spirit bows I would immediately get another (if I could find another recurve like mine!)

You won't be unhappy with Spirit bows.  They shoot great and look nice.  That's about as good as it gets!     :thumbsup:

Bernie Bjorklund

NC Iowa/SW Wisconsin

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©