3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Who thinks only hunters visit this site?  (Read 615 times)

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Who thinks only hunters visit this site?
« on: November 26, 2013, 12:11:00 AM »
If you think only hunters visit this site you are most definatlly wrong. Remember we are not alone here and need to maintain the respectful posture we are known for.  

Please everyone post with that in mind.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline PaulRoberts

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who thinks only hunters visit this site?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 12:53:00 AM »
This should always be kept in mind, not just here.

I'm actually less worried about "anti's" and more concerned about the inexperienced, curious, uninitiated, or undecided -a much larger group.

There is currently an increasing trend of people interested in local, sustainable, and healthy food, and hunting is getting looked at more and more by people, often urban, who never would have considered it before. This growing group has come directly from such popular ideas as the Paleo diet concept and best-selling books such as Michael Pollan's "Omnivores Dilemma" and Tovar Cerulli's "The Mindful Carnivore".

It sure does help to have more people on our side, a little better informed or, at very least, appreciative of the idea that some people are still willing and able to collect their own meat.

It's pretty likely that there's a new breed of lurker here now. From what I know of this new influx of potential supporters is that some semblance of respect for nature and wildlife is expected.

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 01:23:00 AM »
There are non hunters that are members . They don't hunt but just enjoy shooting traditional bows .
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 03:24:00 AM »
I am a not -hunter. That is because I live in The Netherlands, where bow hunting is forbidden by law, as it is in most west-European countries. But I have nothing against hunting and I love shooting traditional.
So I comfort myself with shooting 3d only and training as much as I can. We also see lots of people who are firmly against hunting.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 07:19:00 AM »
Originally posted by PaulRoberts:

I'm actually less worried about "anti's" and more concerned about the inexperienced, curious, uninitiated, or undecided -a much larger group.

There is currently an increasing trend of people interested in local, sustainable, and healthy food, and hunting is getting looked at more and more by people, often urban, who never would have considered it before. This growing group has come directly from such popular ideas as the Paleo diet concept and best-selling books such as Michael Pollan's "Omnivores Dilemma" and Tovar Cerulli's "The Mindful Carnivore".

It sure does help to have more people on our side, a little better informed or, at very least, appreciative of the idea that some people are still willing and able to collect their own meat.

It's pretty likely that there's a new breed of lurker here now. From what I know of this new influx of potential supporters is that some semblance of respect for nature and wildlife is expected.
Very keen observation and I don't think it can be said any better.

Offline joe vt

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2013, 07:40:00 AM »
True true.

Thanks to the Admins that monitor and keep things clean here.
~ joe vt  >>>~~~~~~~~>

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 08:00:00 AM »
I don't post vulgar things anywhere, but it is a good reminder. How we act matters. Not so much to "Anti's".....they are usually beyond reason. But the "Neutrals" are the ones that we should care about. They won't often jump in with both feet and become hunters, but they need to understand we are honorable folks pursuing something decent.

I despise the Bubba type hunter, we all look bad because of a few.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2013, 08:05:00 AM »
We all do a fine job with the admin's help of keeping it clean and honorable.

This is the last site I would think needs to worry.

Try browsing the wheelie sites like AT or huntingnet and see what kinda of stuff you find, plenty of "YEEHAW I GOT ONE! with the deer's tongue hanging out strapped to the ATV with big grins and man hugs" and "thank the lord god for my 6,000 FPS Matt$%$ XLRJQ4000 Decimator" or some other such nonsense.

This place is a refuge for the ethical hunter IMHO.  It just kinda goes with the territory.  

Some great observations on this post.  Thanks for the heads up.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2013, 08:28:00 AM »
It's hard to beat good taste and common sense.....we all need to be aware of the agenda of the anti hunter.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2013, 08:35:00 AM »
I immediately thought of my friend Butch Speer's tag line....."Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much.
- Erastus Wiman"

The perceptions of what we actually stand for and believe is largely under our control by the words and pictures we use...choose wisely!!!!

God bless,Mudd

PS: There are those whom we will never have a positive impact on, it's not that group that concerns me but those that haven't made up their minds about hunting but vote on our rights to do so.
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2013, 09:38:00 AM »

Very good thoughts here.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2013, 10:16:00 AM »
I get on here solely for the ability to connect with similar minded archers/bowhunters. I don't doubt that anti-hunting advocates may visit the site to find remarks that would support their claims of wrong doing by outdoorsmen. My response is crude but simple. To the brother bowhunters I extend the hand of friendship, but the others can get a running start and kiss my a$$! No, I am not politically correct.
Sam

Offline Duckbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2013, 10:51:00 AM »

You've nailed it, here.  I live in a town that is growing a tourism economy around the trends you mentioned.  The average person is reasonable and realizes the PETA types are whackos.  However, the average person is likely to get fed the modern version of a bowhunter by flipping channels on the TV.  They'll see rock music and fist pumping after the same kill shot sequence over and over and over.  The average person is the majority and the majority decides the future of our past time.  Scary thoughts for me.

Quick story...
I was at a party hosted by some of the local food celebrities and had just gotten back from my WY elk hunt.  I brought some elk steaks and everybody was whooping it up about my loin cloths and such.  Later that evening, I couldn't count the number of folks that had come up to me and commented that they sure wish everybody hunted like I did.  One of the most extreme gals in this "cult" even said to me... "my son doesn't know anything about hunting, but if he ever wants to try it, I want you to take him." I consider it one of the biggest compliments I've ever gotten.

My sense is that the average Tradganger shows such a reverence for our natural world and past time that I don't think we have much to worry about when it comes to the fair judgement from the majority that matters most.

My 2c

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2013, 11:17:00 AM »
Good thread here. Many have had excellent comments PaulRoberts in particular. I was a non-hunter at one time but always loved the outdoors. This site has done much to confirm my  decision to start hunting. Especially bowhunting with a longbow.
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2013, 11:19:00 AM »
Originally posted by Sam McMichael:
I get on here solely for the ability to connect with similar minded archers/bowhunters. I don't doubt that anti-hunting advocates may visit the site to find remarks that would support their claims of wrong doing by outdoorsmen. My response is crude but simple. To the brother bowhunters I extend the hand of friendship, but the others can get a running start and kiss my a$$! No, I am not politically correct.
Ditto
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Fritz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2013, 11:51:00 AM »
Thanks Randy for the reminder. What drew me to this site yrs ago was the respect for nature and missing "chest thumping" that is so prevalent on other sites and in our outdoor industries, as a whole. This whole love of traditional archery, for me, is about a connection with the past and nature, as God intended it to be. Others, wether traditional bowhunters or not, are looking for the same sort of things.
God is good, all the time!!!

Offline Rays Arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2013, 11:54:00 AM »
If people are informed that PETA's goal is to prevent all animal ownership, pets and livestock. Then PETA will loose its strength.  I live in a state where we can't hunt bears over bait, this was not a DNR or game department decision it was passed into law by our legislature and we can do nothing about it.  The antis need exposed for who they truly are.  The following is from PETA's website.

We at PETA very much love the animal companions who share our homes, but we believe that it would have been in the animals’ best interests if the institution of “pet keeping”—i.e., breeding animals to be kept and regarded as “pets”—never existed.
This selfish desire to possess animals and receive love from them causes immeasurable suffering
I enjoy the woods taking game is the icing on the cake.

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2013, 12:16:00 PM »
If anyone thinks only hunters come here, they got their head in the sand!

Bisch

Offline paoliguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2013, 12:55:00 PM »
Originally posted by ron w:
It's hard to beat good taste and common sense.....we all need to be aware of the agenda of the anti hunter.
Pure and simple, I agree whole heartedly.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2013, 02:15:00 PM »
Good reminder, we all havta' share the same planet and it is getting more populated and interconnected every day. No matter what side of the fence you may be on everyone needs to adapt and respect a different view.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©