3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Feelings about hunting in the rain??  (Read 586 times)

Offline Tracker2

• Trad Bowhunter
Feelings about hunting in the rain??
« on: November 26, 2013, 12:22:00 AM »
I try not to bow hunt when I know its supposed to rain for the plain fact that It is hard/near impossible to blood trail your kill effectively when the rain is washing it away so quickly.

Do any of you guys live by this or do you have other tactics when hunting in the rain? Its one thing to run into rain when your already out there, but Having blood trailed a few deer in the rain its SO hard to get a proper retrieval. Especially if you want to give the deer time.

Thoughts would be appreciated.

Offline Paul Shirek

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Feelings about hunting in the rain??
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 12:34:00 AM »
For the most part, I do what you do for the same reasons. A light mist or occasional shower I might chance though...

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 12:40:00 AM »
Some of it depends on terrain, but for the most part I ditto what Paul says.
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 01:20:00 AM »
If you need to blood trail in the rain use a spray bottle filled with hydrogen peroxide and spray on the ground . It will foam up on blood .
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 01:43:00 AM »
I hunt in the rain all the time. Some of my best hunts have been in the rain. I do try to hunt a little different in teh rain by trying to hunt "scrub" terrain or broken terrain (something that is good cover for deer but i can see along ways from my tree stand in so that i can watch the animal go down or atleast watch them for a long ways. I also scale back my shooting distance. on a nice day im very cofortable taking shots at deer at 25 yards (seldom do i actually shoot that far but im comfortabe if i needed to). in the rain I tend to pass shots unless they are 15 yards or less. But when i see rain in the forcast i get excited as it usually means great hunting in my areas. super hard rain is a pain to sit thru. but most often its not super hard or it comes in waves rain, stop, rain, stop, rain, stop, etc.

Offline Stickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2013, 07:03:00 AM »
I wont purposely hunt in the rain due to the chance of a bloodtrail washing away.

I have chose to pass on shots at Elk and Deer because of it, it is just not worth it to me.

I love to still hunt though once a rainy weather pattern quits, critters seem to want to move and it is quiet.

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 07:27:00 AM »
I did when I was much younger..but don't care to sit in the rain now days..especially today..32 degrees. Will go when it stops mid day.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2013, 07:45:00 AM »
A lot depends on the amount of rain, what the rain is doing, time of day, and cover type around me.

I will not hunt a heavy rain or with heavy rain close to hitting.  I define heavy as something that will wash out a light but reasonable blood trail in less than 3 hours.  I will not take a shot with very much rain at all late in the day.  I will hunt a light rain or clearing weather in morning particularly when the leaves thin out where I have a real good chance of getting on a trail before it is gone, can see the animal moving longer distances and can see well to spot other tracking clues.  

I had to hunt a lot of rainy weather and wind this year just to get out much.  It was one of those years for me on my Friday and Saturday hunting schedule. I did pass on shots four times this year due to heavy rain setting in.  I chose to just set in a blind and watch / scout some days.

Last year I shot a deer with light rain starting about 1-hr before dark.  The doe jumped the string and I got a forward angling hit behind the shoulder as she dropped and turned away.  The blood trail was too light to follow in the rain and dark.  Next day blood was long gone. I had to grid search the next day.  Never found her and totally disrupted a great beading area sending a great buck for my area off the property for the rest of the year from what I could tell.  That was all around a bad deal.  I had shot one the year before under almost exactly the same conditions from the same stand with better results.  That one ran in a better direction where it was a lot easier to find, but still had to grid search for that one due to no blood trail.  In the past I just didn't hunt in the rail, but bad weather timing the last few years has me hunting a little more in less than ideal conditions.  I got a lot more conservative again this year. It cost me shots, but then I didn't loose anything either.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2013, 07:55:00 AM »
I have not gone out if raining or threatening rain for many years. I have been caught out in a drizzle or two but I end the hunt quickly.

My reasons are two:
1. I don't want to risk a poor blood trail.
2. Deer season is long, I can be picky and choose.

I will admit #1 doesn't hold water (pun intended). Most of the deer I have killed over the years didn't require a blood trail to find. However, in the rare case where I don't see or  hear the deer fall, a blood trail is very important.

Offline hitman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2013, 08:16:00 AM »
I don't pay much attention to forecasts. IF ITS NOT RAINING i go out. Too many times forecasts cost you valuable hunting time. A light mist is fine for me then if it sets in I go home.
Black Widow PSAX RH 58" 47#@28
Samick Sage 62" 40#@28"
PSA Kingfisher RH 45#@28
Treadway longbow RH 60" 46#at 28"
W.Va. Bowhunters Association life member
Pope and Young associate member
Mississippi Traditional Bowhunters life member

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2013, 08:24:00 AM »
Lost several deer due to rain washing out blood trails. For me, the feelings of losing an animal are not worth the risk.
The best things in life....aren't things!

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2013, 08:31:00 AM »
I agreewith hitman about the weather forecasts!

The older I get the less I want to deal with the rain, mud, and hard blood trails.

If I am on a hunt like an elk hunt or something, I will hunt most every day - rain or shine. At my lease, I will usually skip the rain!

Bisch

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2013, 08:48:00 AM »
I'm with Bowwild in every way concerning rain. Especially about being picky when there's a long season. Although deer movement does tend to slack off after the rut/gun season around here so the effective deer season isn't as long as it may seem.

If I get caught in the rain while hunting, then so be it. But I don't intentionally hunt in the rain except for maybe a light mist.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2013, 09:01:00 AM »
I do my best to not hunt in the rain. Matted feathers, bad bloodtrails.....not worth it to me.

I have been caught in remote areas where I didn't have a choice. Far from camp, and rain happening. I usually take cover under a big conifer or with my handy mini tarp, and stay dry. And yep, twice when this was going on deer came by....and I shot them. Looking back on it, recovering those deer was more than a bit of luck.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline Swamp Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2013, 09:02:00 AM »
I'll scout in the rain; nice and quiet for sneaking around; but won't hunt.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
- William Arthur Ward
Black Widow PSAV 42#@29
Collection of Red Wing Hunters
Northern Mist Superior 43#@28
Blue Ridge Snowy Mt 51#@30"

Online two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2013, 09:18:00 AM »
I almost alway need a blood trail.  I will not hunt in the rain...now just after....that is different.

Offline Fritz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2013, 09:34:00 AM »
I must be "maturing", because after a couple of sits in the rain this yr I will not be doing it anymore. A mist I will set in, but not rain.
God is good, all the time!!!

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2013, 09:49:00 AM »
dido.
A light mist I'm going out. But real rain nah.
Here in Colo we frequently  get  rain  in the mid afternoons but generally it stops in an hour or so and the sun comes out  On those days I just curl up under a tree and wait it out.
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2013, 10:10:00 AM »
I used to hunt frequently in the rain, but that was when I hunted with the rifle. Now that I hunt only with the bow and have just gotten to the point I don't want to get wet, I stay home when it rains.
Sam

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2013, 01:08:00 PM »
I hate sitting in the rain and tracking in the rain. If I am out in it though, I'm glad I wear wool! I usually watch the weather radar and get out there just as it's quitting. Gives everything a chance to settle down before they get up and move and I get in without making a bunch of noise.
Got wood? - Tom

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©