3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New Bear take-downs-is 'Fred Bear grip' available  (Read 334 times)

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
New Bear take-downs-is 'Fred Bear grip' available
« on: November 26, 2013, 09:07:00 AM »
One of the Shrewhaven camp members had his Bear take-down at camp a few weeks ago and I had the pleasure of shooting it. This bow is a Gainesville model from the 1990's I believe. It has the low cut grip similar to what Fred had on his personal bow.  I believe this was a factory done modification.  I've wanted a Bear-takedown for years and now that they're coming out with the two tone riser, I want to add a new one to my stable. I really like the low cut shelf and how it tracked on target just like my longbows. I sent a message last week to Bear, but have not heard back.  Anyone in the 'know' on this????
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Online Gun

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New Bear take-downs-is 'Fred Bear grip' available
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 09:17:00 AM »
Good luck. I spoke with someone from Bear last year and was told no more custom work. What you see is what you get. I do like the two tone tho. Would like to see a picture if someone has a new model. The colors in the ad don't look real.
It's really simple. Just don't take those borderline shots. Tomorrow is another day.

Offline slayer1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 09:18:00 AM »
Bear used to have a "custom" shop and you could order modifications such as the "Fred Bear Grip". I do not think they do any of that any more. I tried to get a Grayling Green Super K without quiver inserts but was told you couldn't. I wish they would bring the custom shop back. I purchased 2 'New" bears this year - a 59 Kodiak and a Grayling green Super K. When tuned properly you would have a hard time finding another brand bow that shoots as good as the bears. I think Bear has done a good job on the their traditional line.

Offline R.V.T.B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 09:36:00 AM »
I have several of the new take downs, some older ones two.  I don't know if you have played around with one of the new ones yet but I absolutely love the grip.  I have a couple of the diamondwood ones,a bubinga and the newer gray actionwood.  Plan on picking up one of the two tone risers as well.

I am currently hunting with one of the 2011 black diamondwood "A" risers and #3 limbs. I don't see how you could get the arrow to lay closer to your hand without it actually resting on it. That being said.  It is obvious that the final finishing of the grips is done by hand, and by different guys.  I have seen some of the grips that are narrower than others and shelfs that are higher.

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 11:37:00 AM »
Thanks for the feedback guys.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2013, 03:36:00 PM »
I've been told the same thing for custom work.  I got real lucky with a Supreme A riser. And then they "cut me off".

Offline William F. Adams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 05:39:00 PM »
Originally posted by slayer1:
I wish they would bring the custom shop back.
This.

I've decided I'm going to just save my money until they do that, or I happen across the perfect bow.

Offline elkhunter45

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2013, 06:28:00 PM »
I sent email last fall to Bear and got a reply of
"no". I was also informed that any modifications made by myself or others would void any warranty as well. I still plan to buy one someday and cut it myself.
Predator Custom 60" 47#@28"

Online gvdocholiday

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2013, 08:16:00 PM »
I'd like to see a grey dymondwood riser...with a Green stripe.
"Live like you ain't afraid to die....don't be scared, just enjoy the ride."

Offline wasapt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2013, 04:50:00 AM »
Call Bowdoc, send him your riser, and you will get it back just as you wanted, with a Fred bear low cut  shelf.
bryce olson

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©