3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: arow setup for brown bears?  (Read 524 times)

Offline beaunaro

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: arow setup for brown bears?
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2013, 12:27:00 AM »
It's interesting the different experiences people relate when using exactly the same heads.
I started years ago with Magnus two blade 100s, tried a lot of other stuff, came back to the Magnus.

Used the BuzzCuts with bleeders on five animals in Africa with very little blood.

I'm now using the single bevel new Grizzlys.

I think the big Simmons would also be a good choice.
Irv Eichorst

Offline jrchambers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2013, 12:57:00 AM »
I think the silver flame xl would be a tougher option than simons or centaur for a screw in head.

Offline Ibow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2013, 07:31:00 AM »
I've never understood the physiology of shot placement and what does and does not precipitate good blood trails with bears. It seems at times like two different shots with two different broadheads that end up in the same place can end up with two different types of blood trails. And while I've certainly never hunted brown bears (although I sure would love to!!!), for black bears, I've always stuck with the same ol’, same ol’ – the Zwickey 2 blade Delta with great results.

With bears, the bottom line is, if you put that 2 or 3 blade broadhead where it needs to be, bears go down much quicker than whitetails. Take whatever setup you shoot most accurately and effectively. Wait for that broadside shot when you can get BOTH lungs and you won't have to worry about a blood trail – the bear will likely go down within sight.

Best wishes for your hunt of a lifetime! Looking forward to reading about it!

Offline jrchambers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2013, 04:51:00 PM »
Ibow I know what your saying ive watched all but one of my blackies fall the other one I don't know what happened just tough I guess, but in my limited knowledge of arrows and brownies is the just live longer, I have watched countless videos with great hits and a good bit of time before the bear lays down, my buddy shot one with a gadget head. through and through both lungs, blood 5 foot high on both sides of the alders, the bear still went 100 yards into some really scary stuff. it was very reassuring to be able to look up the blood trail and know he didn't double back yet

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2013, 10:40:00 PM »
Believe me, trailing a Brownie through thick stuff on a faint to non-existant blood trail is not for anybody with a weak heart!  You want to be able to see the blood without taking your eyes off the surrounding fauna. I trailed one that was shot with a gun and had very little blood to follow.  While I worked out the trail Brother Bob (the back up with the gun) gave the brush 100% of his attention.  Let's just say there are a lot of things that are more pleasant to do when you're in the woods.

This coming spring I will be using my usual 145 grain Eclipse with bleeder blades while hunting Brownies in Alaska.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Stickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2013, 08:40:00 AM »
I  used to guide BB hunts an archery was our bread and butter.

Someone said earlier in the thread how fast they go down when hit right and they are spot on! Not sure if it has something to do with their heart rate or what but it always amazed me, they flat pile up in stride and short order.

I never had a bowhunter fail me (gun hunters, thats a different story).When my hunters made a good shot and that bugger would go quiet within 30-40 seconds I felt like I needed to tip them.

I helped trail a few bad arrow hits with other guides and they were memorable times.

Offline Ibow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2013, 01:37:00 PM »
Originally posted by Stickbow:

When my hunters made a good shot and that bugger would go quiet within 30-40 seconds I felt like I needed to tip them.

I helped trail a few bad arrow hits with other guides and they were memorable times.
That's pretty funny. From a guide's perspective, I can only imagine!

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2013, 01:22:00 PM »
I will likely be using either a 54# or 59# (conservative style)longbow, routine Douglas Fir shafts (or slightly heavier larch with the 59#), and grizzly BH.

My last brownie, albeit small, went one yard after the hit.

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2013, 05:43:00 PM »
I believe VPA made some 1.25 inch Terminators a while back...you might find you would get good flight out of a full length Easton FMJ Dangerous Game in .300 spine...those arrows mate nicely with the VPA broadheads

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2013, 06:00:00 PM »
I would seriously consider snuffers, 4 blade zwickey deltas or Magnus 1 4 blades. Bears don't bleed well at all. As long as you stay away from the shoulder bones I would think you would be fine.
James Kerr

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2013, 12:02:00 PM »
No way I would use a wide three blade or a Simmons on a brown bear.  A narrower 3 blade like Wensel or VPA etc, yes.  Widest 2 blade I would consider would be a Magnus I.  Make sure you get two holes!  That said, I wouldn't over think the equipment choice either.  Most brownies are smaller and softer than most elk.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©